FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

For Livia fans the recent film is quite good as she gets some good lines in that.  Particularly turning everything into being about her - and we get the infamous scene in the car!

8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Artie's best moment so far is practicing his tough guy act in the mirror, going to the guy's house and actually repeating it line for line, then getting walloped. That and almost shooting Tony in the car park.

Am I misremembering it or does that follow up with the guy opening the door to Furio (another superb character with good taste in football clobber) who has a “Oh you gone and fucked up now” look on his face?

• Paid Members

Furio's so great. Just had a scene where Ralphie tells some shit light bulb changing joke that Furio laughs at.

"you can have that joke, use it on your pizans" 

"Eh, we don't have those bulb jokes, they don't translate"

Cracked me up for some reason, Why did he have to deflate Ralphie like that? Small moment, that's very funny. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Am I misremembering it or does that follow up with the guy opening the door to Furio (another superb character with good taste in football clobber) who has a “Oh you gone and fucked up now” look on his face?

That's exactly what happens! Tony wipes his debt at Artie's restaurant, then sends Furio round to collect the money as well. Prick move.

30 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Artie's best moment so far is practicing his tough guy act in the mirror, going to the guy's house and actually repeating it line for line, then getting walloped. That and almost shooting Tony in the car park.

"Qu-est ce que cest? Answering machine broken"

I love Artie, especially when he forgets or just gets those moments when he doesn't give a shit who Tony actually is, and just goes a little bit too far, like when he has the Benny situation. But I do believe that Tony truly loves him.

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

"Qu-est ce que cest? Answering machine broken"

I love Artie, especially when he forgets or just gets those moments when he doesn't give a shit who Tony actually is, and just goes a little bit too far, like when he has the Benny situation. But I do believe that Tony truly loves him.

I think Tony feels Artie is the only “true” friend he has left as they were friends in high school although the deeper the story gets the more hatred I feel Artie has for Tony.

Charmaine Bucco though! phwoar.

5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Doesn't everyone ultimately hate Tony? That's kinda of the tragedy of it all and ultimately the warning. Artie was a true friend and ended up resenting him. Christopher was his nephew and hated him. They all did.

Even Dr Melfi (Dr Milfy more like lads eh?) hated him!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Furio's so great. Just had a scene where Ralphie tells some shit light bulb changing joke that Furio laughs at.

"you can have that joke, use it on your pizans" 

"Eh, we don't have those bulb jokes, they don't translate"

Cracked me up for some reason, Why did he have to deflate Ralphie like that? Small moment, that's very funny. 

The Sopranos is brilliant for all these small moments and very specific little things that make it feel so real. In every other TV show all dialogue is used to push story and character forward. But in The Sopranos they talk like actual people talk. They mention people, things and events you've never heard of, say things completely unrelated to anything or that don't make any sense, crack unfunny little jokes and get words, facts and references wrong. 

In a usual TV show when characters call eachother on the phone they will just be in their usual place sitting in a chair. In The Sopranos one of them will be driving home and the other will be talking on the toilet. It's these tiny wonderful little specifics that all add up without you realizing that makes it feel so genuine and relatable. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Getting words wrong cracks me up every time I notice one. "Horshack test" is in the first episode I think. 

I remember hearing David Chase say they tried to portray modern Mafia types as accurately as possible, the only thing they knowingly bullshitted was the desire for mobsters to visit Italy. In real life, none of them gave a fuck about that.  

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Sopranos is brilliant for all these small moments and very specific little things that make it feel so real. In every other TV show all dialogue is used to push story and character forward. But in The Sopranos they talk like actual people talk. They mention people, things and events you've never heard of, say things completely unrelated to anything or that don't make any sense, crack unfunny little jokes and get words, facts and references wrong.

"We saw a sign that said "bear left" so we went home" delivered to deafening silence was a highlight for sure.

Edit: @gmoney "I just heard about they're going to jack a load of these Pokeyman Cards" is a favourite in the lips household.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

It was one of the neat little tricks they employed, using malaprops or lack thereof to separate the characters on terms of intelligence - I remember they made Johnny Sac very articulate in this regard.