FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

Mama's little tramp, mama's little whowa. 

Speaking of Richie, I just finished season 2 of Chucky. Joey Pants shows up in the murder mystery episode. It's campy, schlocky fun that doesn't take itself seriously, and everyone seems to be having a great time. Brad Dourif really put in a turn with all the different Chucky personalities. Fuck your baby Yoda's, I'm all about Good Chucky.

38 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

The reveal that Livia Soprano was upstairs the entire time Richie and Janice were having loud violent sex, as she comes down the stairlift to complain about something completely unrelated is the face turn I needed from her.

Give us a shout when “Under the Boardwalk” has some relevance to you. One of the greatest tv moments in history. Jealous of anyone who gets to experience it all for the first time. 

• Paid Members
On 1/9/2023 at 7:32 PM, PunkStep said:

Wait for the episode that takes place after she passed away in real life. Some of the worst editing I've seen, up there with the deer in Walking Dead.

Wow you weren’t kidding. At first I thought it was pretty passable CGI but for some reason they then cut back and forth like it’s a match on Raw and every single cut she looks different and the CGI gets worse as it goes on.

What a shame her run ended like that. Sad for her in real life but also it was such an unfitting and jarring end to the series’ main antagonist. My wife knew something was up when I said she had a very strong hairline for a woman her age and then a couple of episodes later she spotted a really badly disguised wig net on her forehead. I didn’t even notice it, I thought she just had good hair!

A few episodes into Season 3 now. It’s strange how the show makes you question what you think is ok and not ok.
It builds these people up as protagonists but every now and again it slips through the cracks that they’re awful criminals. Tony especially is so complex. We shouldn’t enjoy these murders and bankrupting people but when Dr Melfi gets attacked we both wanted blood for it.

Bryan Cranston said without Tony Soprano there would be no Walter White and I can fully see that, but not enough credit goes to Edie Falco as Carmela as she’s so well layered and complex too. My wife said she’s happy how much he stands up to Tony when she’s pushed too far, even if we both know she’s trapped in this life for her family. Skyler White in Breaking Bad was the total opposite of this and for me was one of the worst characters in the entire show. 

My wife loves Silvio and after not seeing him much in Season 3 so far, the thumbnail for the next episode is his face and my wife went “just when I thought he was out… they pull him back in!”.

As a side note, Janice is the worst now.

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Wow you weren’t kidding. At first I thought it was pretty passable CGI but for some reason they then cut back and forth like it’s a match on Raw and every single cut she looks different and the CGI gets worse as it goes on.

What a shame her run ended like that. Sad for her in real life but also it was such an unfitting and jarring end to the series’ main antagonist. My wife knew something was up when I said she had a very strong hairline for a woman her age and then a couple of episodes later she spotted a really badly disguised wig net on her forehead. I didn’t even notice it, I thought she just had good hair!

A few episodes into Season 3 now. It’s strange how the show makes you question what you think is ok and not ok.
It builds these people up as protagonists but every now and again it slips through the cracks that they’re awful criminals. Tony especially is so complex. We shouldn’t enjoy these murders and bankrupting people but when Dr Melfi gets attacked we both wanted blood for it.

Bryan Cranston said without Tony Soprano there would be no Walter White and I can fully see that, but not enough credit goes to Edie Falco as Carmela as she’s so well layered and complex too. My wife said she’s happy how much he stands up to Tony when she’s pushed too far, even if we both know she’s trapped in this life for her family. Skyler White in Breaking Bad was the total opposite of this and for me was one of the worst characters in the entire show. 

My wife loves Silvio and after not seeing him much in Season 3 so far, the thumbnail for the next episode is his face and my wife went “just when I thought he was out… they pull him back in!”.

As a side note, Janice is the worst now.

The amount of times I nodded and said “Mmm hmm” while reading that post was off the charts. And you’ve got Ralphie goodness to come. 

17 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My wife said she’s happy how much he stands up to Tony when she’s pushed too far, even if we both know she’s trapped in this life for her family.

Interesting.

Without spoilering (I don't think it is and we've discussed this before on here), I think she is the biggest hypocrite in the entire show. I don't think she's trapped, she loves the life way too much. She's as complicit as Tony.

An incredible performance. 

Once you're done, I highly recommend watching the reunion show they did. The warmth that they all speak about Jimmy with (especially Edie), made me bawl my eyes out. He was the fucking best.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Interesting.

Without spoilering (I don't think it is and we've discussed this before on here), I think she is the biggest hypocrite in the entire show. I don't think she's trapped, she loves the life way too much. She's as complicit as Tony.

Oh she’s hyprocritical for sure but I feel (so far anyway) that’s all she can be. She’s desperate to leave him and there are glances of that (her almost affair) but she can’t get out of the mob life just like anyone else can’t. 
So she stays and complies for her kids futures and the benefits that comes with being a mob wife (veil threats to get her kids into good colleges, the money, the house, etc) but she has lines she doesn’t like being crossed and she always speaks up when they are. She isn’t meek or a background player. A very complicated character but I think everyone in this is a shade of grey and that’s what makes it so enjoyable.

Edit: just to add, I don’t know what significance it has (if any) or even if it’s deliberate but there are tons of shots of the cloudy skies in this. It might just be to do with the angles often being shot upwards but there are some beautiful and sometimes eerie visuals of the skies.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

when Dr Melfi gets attacked we both wanted blood for it.

This is the genius isn't it? You're URGING Melfi to tell Tony, because you know he will fuck that guy up. But that's pure evil and not right... is it? What's justice? Superb writing and great restraint to not follow through with that arc. 

• Paid Members
On 1/15/2023 at 1:32 PM, FelatioLips said:

We're slowly going through these, this is the third time for me and first for the missus. Just got to the CGI Livia and it's worse than I remembered, and unnecessary. In my memory I thought she'd died mid-filming so they had to hastily do a scene to write her out, but unless I'm missing something they could have easily had her die off screen and never show her. Whatever, the funeral portion of that episode is fucking amazing. 

Rewatching this time, I could not believe Janice doesn't appear until the second series. She's such a massive part of the show for me, I felt for sure she was there from the beginning.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, gmoney said:

Rewatching this time, I could not believe Janice doesn't appear until the second series. She's such a massive part of the show for me, I felt for sure she was there from the beginning.

Janice is such a brilliant character and her scenes with Tony are probably the best in the show, especially when they're arguing. She's the biggest psychopath out of all of them.

I think this is probably my favourite scene in the entire show. Just brilliant on multiple levels.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

And there I go looking for velour tracksuits again.

A couple of seasons in I got sick of saying “I like that FILA tracksuit” and just went looking for one.

Edit: Not happy with Ralphie getting killed. He was badly booked. Came in red hot killing that whoerrrr and then he cooled right off resorting to making prank calls and getting sodomised for cheap heat. Then they half-arse his face turn when his son takes an arrow and they kill him off before his push even starts! 

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Not happy with Ralphie getting killed. He was badly booked. Came in red hot killing that whoerrrr and then he cooled right off resorting to making prank calls and getting sodomised for cheap heat. Then they half-arse his face turn when his son takes an arrow and they kill him off before his push even starts! 

But yet, Ralphie Cifaretto > RalphyV2