FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Everyone usually and understandably goes with Richie Aprile but I think Phil is my favourite "villian" in the show. Let me tell you a couple of three things, I love that character like a brother-in-law. Such a ridiculous and horrible cunt. I also love how subtlety evil his wife is in the few times she pops up.

Lowkey amazing joke I just remembered: AJ not knowing what gutters are. Fuck, I'm gonna have to watch all over this again.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Everyone usually and understandably goes with Richie Aprile but I think Phil is my favourite "villian" in the show. Let me tell you a couple of three things, I love that character like a brother-in-law. Such a ridiculous and horrible cunt. I also love how subtlety evil his wife is in the few times she pops up.

I've remembered now!

Spoiler

His death though, fucking hell!

Edited by gmoney

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yes a thousand times! I loved it when he politicked at Johnny Sac’s daughters wedding when he 

Spoiler

Said how he lost respect for him when he started crying as he got nicked. Cementing himself as a tough, no nonsense guy who should lead  

Frank Vincent was great. He was also a “Pointless Answer” for me in the final round when Soprano actors was the category!

EDIT @gmoney click the eye icon and it opens up a text window to type the spoiler in. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Finished Season 5 last night and we both agreed it was our favourite one. My wife was devastated by Adriana and was sad she never got a slightly dignified death like Big Pussy.

Tony has solidified himself for me at least this season as someone who is actually just a horrible person who is nice when he feels like it. He can’t stand to see other people happy, nothing is ever his fault, he’s dismissive of other people’s problems or takes them as a reason to sexually advance on them. 
When Janice, the most unlikeable person in the show, actually tries to better herself for her family he immediately thinks of the most antagonising thing he can say to crush her then leaves when she loses her temper.

At first I thought he was just a flawed person who had their ups and downs but had his heart in the right place at times, but no. He’s awful.

Phil Leotardo is a cracking shithead and I’m glad they didn’t do what they did with Richie or Ralphie and kill him off in the same season.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

When Janice, the most unlikeable person in the show, actually tries to better herself for her family he immediately thinks of the most antagonising thing he can say to crush her then leaves when she loses her temper.

"Sacre bleu, where is me mama?"

An incredible scene. Just like Livia, Tony knows exactly what to say to crush Janice. The wicked smile Tony gives Janice when he knows he's won is incredible and brutal acting.

Adrienne's death is absolutely horrifying. For some reason the bit that really stands out to me is when Silvio calls her a "fucking cunt" before doing it. It's such a depressingly cruel moment to add to something already so evil. A reminder that these hilarious, loveable characters are also the worst people in the world underneath it all.

• Paid Members

For me, Silvio's the one for whom the "bastard moments" are particularly shocking, because the rest of the time, he just comes across like a gruff, likable, cartoonish guy who's more judicious and restrained before resorting to violence, so the bits when he kills Adrianna, or when he beats up and drags the stripper back to the club really stand out. It's at those points I felt a little bit irked for allowing myself to be suckered in by the writing and to almost completely forget the entire premise of the show (but then I suppose that's meant to be the whole point). Most of the other crew characters are fairly obvious arseholes on a regular basis, with the exception of Bacala. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Adrienne's death is absolutely horrifying. For some reason the bit that really stands out to me is when Silvio calls her a "fucking cunt" before doing it. It's such a depressingly cruel moment to add to something already so evil. A reminder that these hilarious, loveable characters are also the worst people in the world underneath it all.

The aftermath really highlights the selfishness of the crew as well as there’s no mourning or remorse from these people that apparently loved her. Just a load of “we gave her this” and “she had everything and did this to us” when in reality she was a woman stuck in an abusive relationship with a heroin addict and couldn’t ever leave because they’re all in the mafia. Even the stuff she did have was tainted and became her downfall. A truly tragic character and it’s sad the only person who seemed to have any remorse for what had happened was her FBI handler but even that was likely guilt.

Edited by FelatioLips

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

The aftermath really highlights the selfishness of the crew as well as there’s no mourning or remorse from these people that apparently loved her. Just a load of “we gave her this” and “she had everything and did this to us” when in reality she was a woman stuck in an abusive relationship with a heroin addict and couldn’t ever leave because they’re all in the mafia. Even the stuff she did have was tainted and became her downfall. A truly tragic character and it’s sad the only person who seemed to have any remorse for what had happened was her FBI handler but even that was likely guilt.

Great post, but I don't quite agree with the "couldnt ever leave" bit, and she was happy enough to be complicit and enjoy the "gangsters moll" lifestyle knowing full well what went on.

She could've left (possibly with Richie from that shitty rock band she managed) but then like you say, she was in an abusive relationship with a heroin addict who she really loved, so perhaps she couldn't leave. 

God, The Sopranos is the best.

• Paid Members

Not quite the same thing, but:

Spoiler

the almost complete lack of compassion from Tony and the crew towards Jun after he shoots Tony shows what shitcunts they are. The guy clearly has dementia, and very obviously didn't intend to shoot him, but they still ostracise him, and leave him to rot in a home.

Edited by Carbomb

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Not quite the same thing, but [season six spoilers]:

Reveal hidden contents

the almost complete lack of compassion from Tony and the crew towards Jun after he shoots Tony shows what shitcunts they are. The guy clearly has dementia, and very obviously didn't intend to shoot him, but they still ostracise him, and leave him to rot in a home.

Yeah, but the fact that 

Spoiler

He tried to kill him years before obviously plays into that storyline. It's not like he's just randomly shot him, which WE all know is due to dementia. There is doubt in everyones minds because of what happened previously, as in it could've been premeditated. 

God, The Sopranos is the best.