FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

For any Boardwalk Empire fans, AJs mate Hernan was played by the actor who went on to play Lucky Luciano.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the worst scene/scenes in the show? For me it’s the universally hated Happy Birthday Mr President scene with Johnny Boys goomah. But Tony banging Valentina while sounding like he’s dying and looking at a picture of a dog while doing the deed is definitely up there. Vito cooking Johnny Cakes dinner and doing that cheek twist thing makes me cringe too. 

20 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Vito cooking Johnny Cakes dinner and doing that cheek twist thing makes me cringe too. 

Completely forgot about this. 

spacer.png

I don't like the scene where AJ and all his mates go clubbing and they're all expecting him to pay for everything. 

AJ can be a shitbag, but his mates are all little twats and I felt bad for him.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

spacer.png

Vito turning up in the bakery as an extra in Season 1 always had me wondering if it was actually Vito at the time or he just came back as a new character in Season 3

“Hey Poppin’ Fresh I’m in no fucking mood today”. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Currently watching this episode on Sky Atlantic. Didn’t clock that A.J. and his girls mate is Paul Dano!

The bit when he’s giving AJ advice on sex kills me.

”Then that pussy’s yours, you own that shit”.

”I think she’s ready”.

”We shall know forsooth”.

As for Vito, as silly as a lot of that stuff is, it did bring us this gem…

D63598E7-06A1-487F-9FFE-54393238CC9F.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

For any Boardwalk Empire fans, AJs mate Hernan was played by the actor who went on to play Lucky Luciano.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the worst scene/scenes in the show? For me it’s the universally hated Happy Birthday Mr President scene with Johnny Boys goomah. But Tony banging Valentina while sounding like he’s dying and looking at a picture of a dog while doing the deed is definitely up there. Vito cooking Johnny Cakes dinner and doing that cheek twist thing makes me cringe too. 

So far a standout has been in the episode where Tony is dreaming and Vin Makazian sings for what feels like a full uninterrupted four minutes.

• Awards Moderator
Just now, wandshogun09 said:

The worst for me is the Melfi rape scene. It’s the only bit in the whole show that I skip. 

That's not 'bad' though is it? It's just a tough watch because of the subject. It creates a brilliant episode because of reasons mentioned earlier. 

45 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

That's not 'bad' though is it? It's just a tough watch because of the subject. It creates a brilliant episode because of reasons mentioned earlier. 

I thought it used rape as a cheap plot device personally. 

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it used rape as a cheap plot device personally. 

Interesting POV. 

I always assumed they used it so it would really get to Tony emotionally. In the world that he lives in that is so full of murder, brutality etc there are still some things that are beyond the pale for him.

I thought it came down to Melfi’s decision to never cross that line, was she defending Tony to her own doctor at the time? I can’t remember really but yea the whole thing of the police doing absolutely nothing about it and her battling her own emotions to maybe ask Tony for a favour whilst also thinking there’s no going back if I do was the main take from that.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Interesting POV. 

I always assumed they used it so it would really get to Tony emotionally. In the world that he lives in that is so full of murder, brutality etc there are still some things that are beyond the pale for him.

But that was all it was, wasn’t it? Not rewatched it ages but was it all forgotten about and pretty much not ever mentioned again? It didn’t forward any of the characters and because she didn’t involve Tony it didn’t create any story after the episode. As I say though, it’s been a while and I may not be remembering it properly.