FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

“You mean he stayed here all night with you, and all he did was slip you a wafer?” 😂

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I like how every time he turns up in later seasons he’s treated with contempt by everyone.

There’s a bit at one of the many funerals which I love. It’s whichever funeral Old Man Baccala (AKA ‘The Terminator’ AKA Paulie from Rocky) turns up to coughing his ballbag up. Carmella’s being bare minimum polite to Father Phil outside the church and as he’s saying his goodbyes and walking off, Tony looks at him like he’s dogshit and says “see ya father” in the most insincere way possible. It’s a nothing bit but I laugh at it every time. 

18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

“You mean he stayed here all night with you, and all he did was slip you a wafer?” 😂

There’s a bit at one of the many funerals which I love. It’s whichever funeral Old Man Baccala (AKA ‘The Terminator’ AKA Paulie from Rocky) turns up to coughing his ballbag up. Carmella’s being bare minimum polite to Father Phil outside the church and as he’s saying his goodbyes and walking off, Tony looks at him like he’s dogshit and says “see ya father” in the most insincere way possible. It’s a nothing bit but I laugh at it every time. 

Had to watch the clip, it's so dismissive. Wonderful.

Carmelas Uncle Febbys funeral.

Just got an ad on Facebook for some game or other, Royal Quest or something . Will Mellor did one for it so that kept showing up but the new one has Furio and he’s got an American accent. For some reason I’m feeling a bit distraught. It’s still real to me dammit. 

• Paid Members

“My son laying on the couch in the fetus position”.

I feel like Season 6 has pulled the veil back on Tony. Almost all of his redeeming qualities are gone at this point and he’s just a toxic black hole sucking everyone around him in.

If I was writing his Wikipedia page, at this point it would say “Tony Soprano is the main antagonist of The Sopranos.

• Paid Members

Poor Chrissy. 
Neither of us felt the death had any impact at all because there was only a very weak justification for doing it (which I think Tony realised too late and spent the rest of the episode trying to justify).

If this had happened when he was at rock bottom and fucking up left and right we would have understood but to do it when he was actually trying to get clean, settled down with a kid and a movie too, just felt like too much way too late. Like wrestling, they passed their moment and pulled the trigger too late and it didn’t land the same.

The whole season has felt rushed despite being the longest one. Each episode almost feels bottled. Bobby lamps Tony and it’s resolved, Junior is back in the spotlight and we move on. People are dying left and right but to strokes and cancer so there’s no drama. You just cut from one thing and suddenly Hesh’s wife is dead, or Paulie’s Aunt/Mam is dead.

I don’t know how well the last season is received by people but it’s probably the weakest one for us. It’s a double length season of just stuff happening almost at random.

8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Poor Chrissy. 
Neither of us felt the death had any impact at all because there was only a very weak justification for doing it (which I think Tony realised too late and spent the rest of the episode trying to justify).

If this had happened when he was at rock bottom and fucking up left and right we would have understood but to do it when he was actually trying to get clean, settled down with a kid and a movie too, just felt like too much way too late. Like wrestling, they passed their moment and pulled the trigger too late and it didn’t land the same.

It did its great trick of circumventing rules by not having him die at the end of an episode so it shocked me in that regard. I think Tony had had enough of him, no matter how many times he helped, Tony knew he was a junkie liability. That and Tony has become the antagonist and any goodwill he had went up in smoke. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

It did its great trick of circumventing rules by not having him die at the end of an episode so it shocked me in that regard. I think Tony had had enough of him, no matter how many times he helped, Tony knew he was a junkie liability. That and Tony has become the antagonist and any goodwill he had went up in smoke. 

It was moreso frustrating because any time Chris fell off the wagon was usually because of Tony, Paulie, etc goading him. Tony kept him in a lifestyle he knew would kill him and then used it as justification to just kill him himself.