FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Pork Pie said:

What surprises me with the Sopranos is how few episodes some of the memorable characters appeared in. Furio for example was in 20 episodes and while that is more than some, he felt like a big character and was only in around a quarter of the series. 

"Stupid-a fucking game"

You got a bee on your 'at. 

• Paid Members

Approaching the halfway point of Season 6 and I’m hoping it picks up. A lot of it is feeling stagnant or tacked on now.

The Vito stuff we both got bored of fairly quick. It was an interesting concept but poorly executed we feel. In a show that so far has lacked a lot of realism at times, Vito skipping town and just by chance finding a town packed to the gills with gay biker firemen and falling in love within the space of a couple of weeks felt more than lazy. All sympathy went out the window when he murdered the guy he drunk drove into, though his death was brutal. My wife morbidly burst out laughing when Phil came out the closet.

Similarly the Dr Melfi stuff feels unnecessary now. It felt like a huge part of early seasons and now she’s just there from time to time and almost nothing of substance happens in her sessions. Feel like they ran out of ideas.

AJ and Meadow haven’t done much of note in a while either. And my wife loudly exclaimed “is she still going on about this fucking house” the 10th time Carmella asked Tony about it. In fact nobody seems like they’re up to much. 

It feels like there were big stories and big characters for the first few seasons and it culminated in Season 5. Season 6 is like watching people just go about their business while stuff just happens. 
The Artie stuff was good, and the Paulie stuff has been ok but the show is suffering now Johnny Sack is in prison, Adrianna is dead and there isn’t a big build to something.

I’m hoping that because the season is twice the length they’re spending the first half setting up peices for a good second half. This many episodes into the other seasons and it was almost culminating that season’s arc. This one has been all filler so far.

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve mentioned on here before one of my favourite Paulie moments. Spoilers for the middle of season six. 

Hide contents

When Vito is spotted in a gay bar and they get Meadows boyfriend to tell them what he saw on the construction site. They talk like the guard sucked off Vito and when he tells them it was the other way round, Paulie throws a hand in the air and wails, like that makes it even worse!

Spoiler

Catching not pitching 

• Awards Moderator

Vito you say? 

20230207_085519.thumb.jpg.6b75372fb5cbb9c19ff166fe7a20efad.jpg

This is me in October 2008 (christ that's a long time ago) with the Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop himself Joseph Gannascoli. Mrs Onyx and I went on a Sopranos bus tour around New Jersey. As you queue to get picked up a RAV 4 comes screaming to a halt and this hustler opens his boot to shill his merch. I did buy his book (you can see it in my hand). 

Looking on Trip Advisor it seems like he's still shaking down the tour every day. 

I have a whole bunch of location photos but some need to wait until FL is finished. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Onyx2, his arch nemesis. Did you go see the Padres take a beating from the Yankees with him?

I’ve read about him shilling his stuff and making people feel bad for asking for a photo and not buying anything. Just like a lot of the wrestlers I’ve seen at York Hall. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Aproaching the halfway point of Season 6 and I’m hoping it picks up. A lot of it is feeling stagnant or tacked on now.

Not going to spoil anything but the start of the season, with what's to come, feels by design. It gets...darker shall we say

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

spacer.png

Vito turning up in the bakery as an extra in Season 1 always had me wondering if it was actually Vito at the time or he just came back as a new character in Season 3

Different character. That's 'Gino', but when the casting call came out for Vito he came back, they remember liking him, he was in.

28 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Vito you say? 

20230207_085519.thumb.jpg.6b75372fb5cbb9c19ff166fe7a20efad.jpg

This is me in October 2008 (christ that's a long time ago) with the Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop himself Joseph Gannascoli. Mrs Onyx and I went on a Sopranos bus tour around New Jersey. As you queue to get picked up a RAV 4 comes screaming to a halt and this hustler opens his boot to shill his merch. I did buy his book. 

Looking on Trip Advisor it seems like he's still shaking down the tour every day. 

I have a whole bunch of location photos but some need to wait until FL is finished. 

(J)O(hn)nyx Cakes.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:07 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Am I misremembering it or does that follow up with the guy opening the door to Furio (another superb character with good taste in football clobber) who has a “Oh you gone and fucked up now” look on his face?

Currently watching this episode on Sky Atlantic. Didn’t clock that A.J. and his girls mate is Paul Dano!