FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

If we're saying rape is off limits unless dealt with in a certain way, is that any different to things we're 'allowed' to joke about too? If it's dealt with correctly and contextually it's fair game. 

Are we saying that though?

5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I’m totally up for warnings ahead of a programme ("this programme contains some scenes..." and "if you've been affected...") so there's fair trigger warning. But I think it should be part of modern fiction.

As an aside, I mentioned once how a warning gave away a plot point on a Netflix show! A character was in the depths of a mental health crisis and at the start of the episode it came up “Warning - contains suicide”. Cheers for that! Totally took away the drama! But obviously it’s important to have these warnings for people. 

Thanks for the info about the writer, I didn’t know that!

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, gmoney said:

@Onyx2 - I don't really disagree with what you've said, I think the only thing we differ on is whether we feel the use of it was justified in this particular series. 

Yep and I think this is a great discussion without any toys leaving any prams, like SuperBacon said. Even more surprising when you consider the subject material.

I think it is handled well, but it can't be viewed without the context of the whole show around it. I will also say I've been extremely lucky in my life to not knowingly have any friends or family be a victim of rape so the trigger is distant for me.

20 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Yep and I think this is a great discussion without any toys leaving any prams

Is that aimed at me? You better watch your mouth potato boy or I’ll ram that masher straight up yo ass quicker than you can lisp Dancing in the moonlight, you motherpukka. 

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is that aimed at me? You better watch your mouth potato boy or I’ll ram that masher straight up yo ass quicker than you can lisp Dancing in the moonlight, you motherpukka. 

Something something you're a Man United fan from London? Did I do it right?

• Paid Members

All of the main stuff regarding the scene and the arc has been covered, so I'd also like to add that I did also quite like, as an added minor dimension, the whole discussion of Melfi's ex-husband's insecurity regarding the rapist being part Italian, especially with Melfi considering Tony as a potential recourse - she ends up stuck between two problematic, toxic models of masculinity, both the law-abiding and the criminal, and, consequently, ends up with no remedy or redress for choosing the moral course.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

All of the main stuff regarding the scene and the arc has been covered, so I'd also like to add that I did also quite like, as an added minor dimension, the whole discussion of Melfi's ex-husband's insecurity regarding the rapist being part Italian, especially with Melfi considering Tony as a potential recourse - she ends up stuck between two problematic, toxic models of masculinity, both the law-abiding and the criminal, and, consequently, ends up with no remedy or redress for choosing the moral course.

Both Melfi's ex-husband and her own psychiatrist being such absolute twats is an absolutely perfect touch to her character. Everywhere she goes she's surrounded by infuriating and horrendous men.

• Paid Members
Just now, LaGoosh said:

Both Melfi's ex-husband and her own psychiatrist being such absolute twats is an absolutely perfect touch to her character. Everywhere she goes she's surrounded by infuriating and horrendous men.

Her own psychiatrist also highlights something that appears to be a running thread throughout the series: every non-Mafia bloke in the series, barring Melfi's ex-husband, falls into the trap of being impressed by Tony and his crew, no matter how moral or law-abiding they might be or claim to be. Melfi's psychiatrist talking about his tenuous link to Lepke Buchholz and Murder Inc. is one of the more stand-out examples.

Hell, the FBI guy who investigates Tony even takes his side after he gets taken off Tony's case.

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Hell, the FBI guy who investigates Tony even takes his side after he gets taken off Tony's case.

That FBI agent is definitely the writers' reflection of the viewer.  By that point in the series, we've all fallen into the trap of rooting for the horrible awful mafia murderers.  And then when an FBI agent does the same thing, it's a wonderful little bit of finger-pointing.

15 hours ago, Loki said:

That FBI agent is definitely the writers' reflection of the viewer.  By that point in the series, we've all fallen into the trap of rooting for the horrible awful mafia murderers.  And then when an FBI agent does the same thing, it's a wonderful little bit of finger-pointing.

Yup, as I said earlier in this discussion David Chases' disdain and finger pointing for the viewers is hilariously brilliant.