FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Season 6 has been excellent so far with a lot of really solid episodes. The Tony in a coma ones had all reason to be a slog, especially over I think it was three episodes, but they were great to move him out the spotlight and focus on other things for a while.

There’s a few bits that aren’t as interesting but have their moments. The main one, as it was last time it happened with Jon Favreau is the Chris Goes Hollywood stuff. It’s boring and feels like it’s there to get some celebs into a show that doesn’t need it. Him hounding Ben Kingsley eventually became funny though, especially this.

9CDAD562-C0B0-4FA6-ACB0-923111DA6FC6.jpeg.44538ca8efb360211791a6a4a564a7d6.jpeg

My wife asked if we could renew our vows after the Sack wedding episode and the absolutely fucked nursery rhymes they sing during it. “The bride cuts the cake, the bride cuts the cake”. Bizarre.

Tony finding anyone with a problem and going “you’re in pity of yourself” to them is also getting a chortle out of us. We’ve also taken to shouting “I HAD A BANANA IN THERE!” when one of us goes in the kitchen.

The absolute crowning moment of this season so far though is Artie Bucco finally getting his big win. Forever destined to be a doormat, him firing Martina, smacking the shit out of Benny and then finding his love for cooking again was beautiful. Yeah his hand got scalded in marinara sauce but he stood up for himself and got that cracking “it’s like a Martini but from Albania” line in. It took six seasons but he finally won.

Edited by FelatioLips

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

“The bride cuts the cake, the bride cuts the cake”

Hi ho the merry-o! However for me, it paled into creepy insignificance with that “Daddy’s Girl” song. Fucking hell. 

Whenever I see Ben Kingsley in anything now, I proclaim “SIR KINGSLEY” and glare at the screen. Marvellous. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

The Tony in a coma ones had all reason to be a slog, especially over I think it was three episodes, but they were great to move him out the spotlight and focus on other things for a while.

Best moment being Meadow making Paulie promise to be positive around Tony then Paulie shouting "Oh, Madone! He looks terrible!" the second he sees him.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Best moment being Meadow making Paulie promise to be positive around Tony then Paulie shouting "Oh, Madone! He looks terrible!" the second he sees him.

Paulie sending his heart rate up and making him crash and Chris “getting permission” from Tony while he’s in a coma are top Tony Coma moments.

What surprises me with the Sopranos is how few episodes some of the memorable characters appeared in. Furio for example was in 20 episodes and while that is more than some, he felt like a big character and was only in around a quarter of the series. 

"Stupid-a fucking game"

Edited by Pork Pie

On 2/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, LaGoosh said:

Every time I think I have a favourite Paulie line I remember another one:

"Word to the wise, remember Pearl Harbour."

I’ve mentioned on here before one of my favourite Paulie moments. Spoilers for the middle of season six. 

Spoiler

When Vito is spotted in a gay bar and they get Meadows boyfriend to tell them what he saw on the construction site. They talk like the guard sucked off Vito and when he tells them it was the other way round, Paulie throws a hand in the air and wails, like that makes it even worse!