FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Troo dat.

Goddammit, I'm already backlogged to fuck as it is. Currently in the middle of watching the original BBC Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and I've got True Detective after that. Then there's The Expanse to finish, and a whole ton of films (think Paris, Texas and the Three Colours trilogy are next on the list), and now I'm jonesing to re-watch The Sopranos. 

Just got to remember my mantra: "At least I will never run out of stuff."

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

For me, Silvio's the one for whom the "bastard moments" are particularly shocking, because the rest of the time, he just comes across like a gruff, likable, cartoonish guy who's more judicious and restrained before resorting to violence, so the bits when he kills Adrianna, or when he beats up and drags the stripper back to the club really stand out. It's at those points I felt a little bit irked for allowing myself to be suckered in by the writing and to almost completely forget the entire premise of the show (but then I suppose that's meant to be the whole point). Most of the other crew characters are fairly obvious arseholes on a regular basis, with the exception of Bacala. 

Stevie had a lot of sway on how his character was written; with a few tiny exceptions you never see him with a goomar for example, and is rarely violent. And he got his wife cast too! He was such a dream team pick for David Chase he was happy for him to have whatever he wanted. 

18 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Stevie had a lot of sway on how his character was written

Really? I never knew that. I remember reading that a lot of the actors went up to David Chase with ideas for their characters and he always shot them down with “What makes you think it’s your character” but I’m sure there’s a nuance about it. 

• Paid Members

It makes sense. The only thing I knew about any actor demands for characters is the very well-known thing about Tony Sirico asking for Paulie to never be portrayed as a rat, because of his own real-life links.

16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Really? I never knew that. I remember reading that a lot of the actors went up to David Chase with ideas for their characters and he always shot them down with “What makes you think it’s your character” but I’m sure there’s a nuance about it. 

If Reddit is to be believed, and who am I to dispute this, that was Mikey Palmice!!! MIKEY PALMICE!!! The fucking nerve!!!

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes a thousand times! I loved it when he politicked at Johnny Sac’s daughters wedding when he 

Reveal hidden contents

Said how he lost respect for him when he started crying as he got nicked. Cementing himself as a tough, no nonsense guy who should lead  

I love how they’re all hypocrites. Phil did that at the wedding but also 

Spoiler

Cried at the hospital when Tony visited him in front of Tony and Albie. He also remarked that Nancy Sinatra? Singing once moved him to tears. Even one of his own crew said in front of everyone he gets emotional when he drinks wine. It was just a great chance to have a dig and position himself at the top. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Everyone usually and understandably goes with Richie Aprile but I think Phil is my favourite "villian" in the show. Let me tell you a couple of three things, I love that character like a brother-in-law. Such a ridiculous and horrible cunt.

Phil Leotardo was such a great bastard. Played it so well and there were so many incredible lines that he delivered perfectly. The bit when he takes his car in for repairs and keeps moaning about the paint being “duller” and the driver’s seat being “askew” cracks me up every time. Just a horrible cantankerous old prick. The Shah of Iran. There’s so many more I could quote but I don’t wanna ruin anything for Mr Lips. 

• Paid Members

When Eugene was shown to be a rat, I was like "christ another one?". I don't want to call it lazy as I imagine it's a commentary on how fickle and easy to flip they all are but there are a lot of rats in just these two crews. Or there were, at least as three of them have died in the last few episodes.

Junior is long gone now isn't he? He's regressed horrendously between season 5 and 6 and I imagine shooting Tony will be the last straw for him.

37 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

When Eugene was shown to be a rat, I was like "christ another one?". I don't want to call it lazy as I imagine it's a commentary on how fickle and easy to flip they all are but there are a lot of rats in just these two crews. Or there were, at least as three of them have died in the last few episodes.

Junior is long gone now isn't he? He's regressed horrendously between season 5 and 6 and I imagine shooting Tony will be the last straw for him.

I’m sure I speak for everyone who has seen it but I’m really enjoying your updates and reactions to plot point! Do you take requests for you next watchalong?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m sure I speak for everyone who has seen it but I’m really enjoying your updates and reactions to plot point! Do you take requests for you next watchalong?

I think I need to take a break after this! 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Thing is, that's something they kind of prepared the ground for early on in the series. Can't remember which episode, but fairly sure it was season 1, where Paulie (I think) is ranting at the TV because a mafia expert on the news is talking about how, because of how the mafia involvement in drugs now means much longer sentences, it means gang members are much likelier to flip than do their time in silence out of loyalty.