Christmas Foods 2023

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Long day in the office yesterday and the only food I managed until evening was a depressed baked potato with a smattering of beans.

Decided to make up the calorie deficit by eating a whole Lidl 9 month matured Christmas pudding with Brandy cream for dinner. Stunning. Might stop eating breakfast and lunch and just do this until January.

9 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Long day in the office yesterday and the only food I managed until evening was a depressed baked potato with a smattering of beans.

Decided to make up the calorie deficit by eating a whole Lidl 9 month matured Christmas pudding with Brandy cream for dinner. Stunning. Might stop eating breakfast and lunch and just do this until January.

Careful, next you'll be having Christmas dinners for breakfast like the lad off The Apprentice. Abosh!!!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Filth. The free sample stall was doing pieces of these with little thimblefuls of prosecco, and it's an obscenely good combo.

IMG20221208134620.jpg

On 11/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, air_raid said:

new pies “for people that don’t like traditional mincemeat” - frangipane and caramel with a gingerbread pastry

Yep yep yep

On 11/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, air_raid said:

Road tested these, had forgotten to mention the white chocolate chips. Not sure what makes it “blondie” as opposed to regular frangipane but they were a stunning mouthful. Wasn’t sure l’d stock up as they aren’t particularly “festive” (as though tons of chocolate particularly is??) and it was sealed when the ginger, which I could barely taste, proved too spicy for Mrs raid. YMMV. Bloody delicious though.

..... didnt stop her picking up two more boxes because she clocked how much I enjoyed them.

• Paid Members

Almost time to decide which crisps get a repeat purchase.

Strong contenders -

Tesco crinkle cut pigs in blankets

Lidl Turkey/stuffing

Seabrook cross branded Aunt Bessie's turkey/stuffing - really good, if I can remember where I bought them.

Sainsburys taste the difference pigs in blankets - Jesus, these had a convincing sausage flavour and were so good I might have to get their turkey flavour without a sample and any others that take the fancy, assuming I'm in Sainsburys before next weekend!! 

• Paid Members

The Christmas Pudding World Tour continues tonight - I'm not even going to bother going into detail on the cheap solo Aldi one I had last night (TLDR; shite, don't bother). Ponied up for this for later, despite the massive optimism that it's for four people, I have high hopes.

4088600410753_0.thumb.jpg.4f730c2fe447d3140f7de61b4eada35e.jpg

• Paid Members

The reviews are in. Really delicious, the candied nuts dotted around finish it off - glacé cherries are nice but some candied peel would have been better. Quite boozy which is always a plus. Don't worry, I didn't go in without a bag - cream went on after the picture.20221218_184453.thumb.jpg.26f5cf58cb82864b0d3535c68e991f6c.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
On 12/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, Carbomb said:

Filth. The free sample stall was doing pieces of these with little thimblefuls of prosecco, and it's an obscenely good combo.

IMG20221208134620.jpg

Just blasted through a box of these.  Amazing.

• Paid Members

Bought a Nutcracker tin from Sainsbury’s last night, thinking it had shortbread inside (mostly for the tin to be honest) and they were actually “vanilla stars” made with vegetable marg instead of butter…. Unexpectedly they were delicious. Really top drawer.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

IMG_20221225_141049.thumb.jpg.8d7d1a8e64822ad587d2e8d54f180f38.jpgMade these Yoghurt parfaits for brekkie.

Effortlessly easy to put together. Just layers of Greek Yoghurt, Granola, and fruit. Set them up last night. A little bit of garnish before serving. They went down a treat.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Show us your plates.

This was ridiculous. Quorn Gammon, Quorn Roast, This Isn’t Pigs in blankets, braised red cabbage, Peas (mint sauce as I’m a man child), Sage and onion stuffing, Marmite buttered sprouts with vegan pancetta, roast potatoes and home made Yorkies. And whilst I only managed one Yorkie, the rest got demolished and now I need a nap. 

DA49CA0A-1E4B-4ACC-A24A-A7450803B966.jpeg

39D950DE-B8A9-44F2-B37C-50A3142E7A3F.jpeg