Christmas Foods 2023

Thunderplex

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Mayo confirmed in the Tesco Pigs under blanket sub. It's still great though. 

Gross. Cranberry gives you moisture, you don’t need that white slime, why do they do it???

Picked up the Asda Christmas literature the other day and there’s a couple of rogue mince pies that sound interesting. Toffee apple pecan? Irish cream and rum? Fucking don’t tempt me, I need to save some cash for crisps, nuts and puffings.

• Paid Members
On 11/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, air_raid said:

Picked up the Asda Christmas literature the other day and there’s a couple of rogue mince pies that sound interesting. Toffee apple pecan? Irish cream and rum?

OK, so this was just sloppily written literature. Turns out “Extra Special Irish Cream and Rum mince pies” actually referred to two different products, one mince pie with added rum, and one with the buttercream style topping made with Irish Cream. I mean, I’d definitely look forward to trying either but it’s not the ludicrously tipsy special I was expecting. Some of the M&S ones list four different alcohols in the mincemeat and I think we’re a maximum of three years before we get the ultimate, offering us “juicy vine fruits, candied peel and spices, enriched with brandy, meths, Pernod, paint stripper, Mr Sheen, brake fluid and Drambuie.”

Worse still, the “apple and pecan crumble mince pie” is a mince pie in name only - it’s apples in toffee and pecans but no mincemeat. Crock of shit.

• Awards Moderator

Chocolate of the middle classes Tony's Chocolonely have released two Christmas flavours: candy cane (mint really) and gingerbread. 

The mint is good but fuck me the gingerbread one is out of this world. I'm going to be clearing the shelves at Sainsbury's to ensure I enjoy it year round. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Picked up some Lidl sour cream n chive pretzel Christmas trees yesterday… can’t remember if last year I preferred those or the Aldi stars but they were great, more chivey than most of the ilk and to recall @SuperBaconfrom the Snack Attack thread, the dust crust was thicker than a ticket touts wad.

…… oooh, look at me clumsily cross promoting threads like Linda McMahon explaining the brand split in a 2002 conference call.

• Paid Members

We tried the fiery pigs in blankets crisps from Aldi yesterday. There's a hit of pork at first, which makes way for a peppery aftertaste. I only had a couple, but my friend finished the bag and said there's definitely a nice spicy burn afterwards. May require further investigation on my part. 

• Paid Members

Had a bag apiece each last night of Tesco's sweet and salty (Christmas tree) pretzels and the maple bacon (Snowflake) ones.... the sweet and salty were nice, it was more of an icing sugar sweet than anything festive like cinnamon, we finished the bag by throwing them into bowls of ice cream drowned in Nestle Carnation Caramel drizzle which was a bit decadent (only missing some nuts really), The maple bacon were EXCELLENT, while the maple didnt come through as strong as it could, the bacon was intense and very convincing for a snack suitable for vegans, which I didnt spot when we bought them.

Bought a pack of M&S pigs in blankets "snack mix" on a whim today, will report later when eaten.

• Paid Members

I've ordered my Big Packet of Christmas Meat from the butchers for cooking over the holidays.

Even better, it's the time of year I remember my wife hates mincemeat, so I've loaded up the house with mince pies and individual Christmas puddings and there's 0 risk of them being nicked.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Even better, it's the time of year I remember my wife hates mincemeat, so I've loaded up the house with mince pies and individual Christmas puddings and there's 0 risk of them being nicked.

This is the kind of passive hostility that I am, as the kids say, here for. Mrs raid doesn’t care for the flavours of chocolate and citrus mixed so I’m even more insistent on a Terrys Chocolate Orange on Christmas Day than before. In fact, I have three.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

This is the kind of passive hostility that I am, as the kids say, here for. Mrs raid doesn’t care for the flavours of chocolate and citrus mixed so I’m even more insistent on a Terrys Chocolate Orange on Christmas Day than before. In fact, I have three.

Christmas is a 0 sum game (pretty sure that's what it says in the Bible), it's about how much of the good food can you get while depriving your loved ones of it.

I've been less forgiving since Mrs Mears ate my entire pack of praline shells during lockdown Christmas. Did she replace them? Did she fuck.

• Paid Members
On 11/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, air_raid said:

Bought a pack of M&S pigs in blankets "snack mix" on a whim today, will report later when eaten.

Pleasant. Many “pigs in blankets” snacks just taste like bacon flavour, but these actually taste like sausage. The puffing style wheels are the best part like any party mix.