Christmas Foods 2023

Thunderplex

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

What's everyone's opinion on Xmas pudding and Xmas cake? A yes from me

Pudding is passable but it’s hugely inferior to a load of other sweet things that come with the season like good mince pies or anything with gingerbread or marzipan. Had one with custard laced with brandy once which was nice but Christmas Pudding is up there with turkey in terms of “I know it’s traditional but I’d rather have something I enjoy more” (I’ve always had chicken with cranberries and stuffing with my parents or Mrs raid) - pud never seems special enough for “the big day” - last year mrs raid made a huge gooey brownie and we had that plus a ton of those frangipane mince pies with orange zest in the sponge topped with gold sugar glitter that she makes, and it was bliss. I’d eat pudding with a Christmas meal out, but even then when I was a student I once had mincemeat cheesecake that made me question why anyone bothers with Xmas pudding. Mrs raid has bought a small one to sample because she’s never had it and that Sainsbury’s not-Biscoff was one, shall report back, but I hope she reacts to the tester in a way that restores my hope for brownie.

I’ve never knowingly eaten Christmas Cake but I expect it to be like pudding but cold and with icing, or stollen with no marzipan. Which sounds skippable.

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Stollen is the goat basic Christmas cake, you had to go out of your way to find it only a few years back or there'd be only the one branded version but now it feels like everyone makes a version. ALDI are pretty solid and my go to because they're so close.

My stepmum makes her own which is genuinely heavenly. Almost makes the visit and stilted family conversation bearable. Almost.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Stollen is the goat basic Christmas cake, you had to go out of your way to find it only a few years back or there'd be only the one branded version but now it feels like everyone makes a version. ALDI are pretty solid and my go to because they're so close.

My first exposure to stollen was in Lidl during my student days near 20 years ago, then I might not have had it again til last night when we opened the Sainsbury’s stollen slices because Mrs raid wanted to try them… pretty good.

Think we might get a panettone today.

• Paid Members

Tried Sainsbury’s salted caramel pretzels yesterday, shaped like trees, bells and snowflakes. Flavour was good, caramel was the soft buttery kind and there was enough salt which is usually my criticism of anything calling itself salted caramel - you can’t taste salt.

Picked up yesterday more Tesco turkey/stuffing puffings (“bites”) and restocked on their maple Macon pretzels, got an Aunt Bessie’s turkey/stuffing Seabrooks to try, and both Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference and Tesco Finest versions of pigs in blankets crisps, the winners to get restocked for Christmas. Replenished Sainsbury’s frangipane mince pies plus those white chocolate blonde ones I loved and she didn’t (thank you Jesus) and the stollen slices, picked up Mr Kipling Christmas slices because she wanted to try, and despite approaching her 10th Christmas in the UK and 5th with me she’s never tried a Mr Kipling mince pie either so we go those in. Reviews to follow. I assume that’s enough and I don’t need to get into chocolate too.

• Paid Members
On 11/25/2022 at 11:44 PM, RalphyV2 said:

What's everyone's opinion on Xmas pudding and Xmas cake? A yes from me

Delicious. I have no idea why uninformed people (my relatives) insist on trying to reinvent the wheel with wanky deserts over the holiday season. Christmas pudding with brandy butter, Christmas cake with marizpan. It's all you need, especially when you fill up on a cheeseboard beforehand.

• Paid Members
Just now, Just Some Guy said:

Mixed up my Christmas pudding mixture yesterday and it's taking up a quarter of fridge before getting steamed next weekend.

I decided to home make them 10 years ago just so I contribute something meaningful to the big day.

I use Gary Rhodes recipe and it always turns out amazingly well.

One of my favourite memories of childhood is making the Christmas pudding and Christmas cake (well, puddings and cakes because my Dad was allergic to everything) during the half-term before the big day with my Gran. Really felt like I'd done my bit for the family after no doubt slowing her down by several hours.

• Paid Members

I never liked Christmas pudding when I was a kid, but in recent years I've come to like it - but only when they're particularly boozy. My mum makes them, and she's been absolutely lacing them with brandy the past few years. Also, we have it with brandy sauce/butter, not custard.

That Pot Noël looks on brand - it's dirty and I want it. 

• Paid Members
On 11/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Review coming at a later date46E2416B-72FF-456C-9D70-D92360F89463.thumb.jpeg.e7616f83ea7803eff4112b9331dba577.jpeg

If you love stuffing, this is a great choice. The sage and onion soya pieces are very strong, with a gravy flavour, well gravy. Kind of like the contents of a Gravy roast dinner after youve eaten everything and you consume the rest of the gravy. 4/5.

Also, first pot noodle I’ve ever seen with no sachet.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch