Christmas Foods 2023

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Been back on two of last years staples already. One being Tescos turkey/stuffing bites (or “puffings” as Mrs raid calls anything of that or Wotsit style texture) and they’re still very addictive. The slight buttery aftertaste is pleasant, and could so easily have been overpowering, but isn’t. Kudos. The other is Sainsbury’s frangipane mince pies, which are by a LONG margin our favourite shop-bought mince pies. Mrs raid makes an even better version with mincemeat we made with amaretto, chocolate Baileys and Frangelico, and puts orange zest in the frangipane that makes it taste even more Christmas, but we keep a couple of boxes of Sainsbury’s ones around for lazy snacking. Last night we also picked up a pack of their new pies “for people that don’t like traditional mincemeat” - frangipane and caramel with a gingerbread pastry - because they sound great, as well as stollen slices and their smallest traditional Christmas pud because Mrs raid hasn’t tried either, plus their not-Biscoff one because while I slated the ad in the Annoyance thread, it worked on herself. Fingers crossed.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Pork Pie said:

Boxing Day Curry flavour seems to be a big thing this year.

I tried Tescos crispy nuts in that flavour and while I could taste coriander, I was underwhelmed and wish I’d just had some standard non festive Bombay mix, or the pigs in blanket nuts, or both.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:32 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Have you heard Sports by Huey Lewis And The News?

Never mind the Only Fools special, THIS is the repeat I wanted.

• Paid Members

Aldi have three flavours of festive themed crisp in the middle aisle, Beef Wellington, Turkey & Stuffing, and Pigs In Blanket flavour. They're a quid a bag if memory serves. I could be wrong. I picked up some of those cheese ball things where there's a weirs filling inside a crunchy ball. I've not had any for a while. There are some interesting looking cheddar & smoked paprika flavour mini cheddar doing the rounds as well, which may require further investigation. 

• Paid Members
On 11/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, air_raid said:

(Sainsbury’s) new pies “for people that don’t like traditional mincemeat” - frangipane and caramel with a gingerbread pastry

Road tested these, had forgotten to mention the white chocolate chips. Not sure what makes it “blondie” as opposed to regular frangipane but they were a stunning mouthful. Wasn’t sure l’d stock up as they aren’t particularly “festive” (as though tons of chocolate particularly is??) and it was sealed when the ginger, which I could barely taste, proved too spicy for Mrs raid. YMMV. Bloody delicious though.

• Paid Members

Costa - Gingerbread Latte - Pants. Biscuit was soft and probably gone off. 

Costa - Brie and Cranberry Toasty - Pretty good although towards the end It was a little sickly. 

Tesco - Pigs in blanket sub. As part of the meal deal this was cracking. Cranberry inside helped it massively. 

Off to Aldi for the shop tonight. Excited for the prospects that await. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Tesco - Pigs in blanket sub. As part of the meal deal this was cracking. Cranberry inside helped it massively. 

Do they still ruin this with mayo?