Mastodon and other twitter alternatives

Chris B

• Paid Members

So, is the bird finally dying? It's the first time on twitter that I've not just heard rumblings of 'oh, I might start looking elsewhere' but actually seen noticeable 'I'm now on here'. 

I'm trying out Mastodon, but I'm a bit worried it's the Linux of social media - that said, there's some nice functionality once you're in there. It's got potential, for sure. It's an incredibly unintuitive sign-up process though.

If you're doing similar, what are you going for? Or do you think they're all on a hiding to nothing?

• Paid Members

I was thinking about this earlier and I kind of get the feeling it'll be the usual case of people making noise to start with, then still being present in 6 months time and the world keeps turning. I don't think enough of the 'Joe Public' will be either knowledgeable or interested enough to jump ship. 

It's a shame what's happening, as much of a dumpster fire Twitter is at times, it's still my most used app and website for most things and keeps my day at work ticking along nicely (along with here) when I should be doing other things, like stuff I'm actually paid to do.

16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The blueticks having meltdowns is hilarious though, how dare the proles have the same status as us by merely paying for it. 

I'm sure the $7 per month will go a long way to recouping Musk's $44 billion outlay. Far be it from me to suggest the world's richest man is financially clueless, but if someone offered to sell me a business losing $4 million per day and wanted $44 billion I'd decline rather quickly.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm a bit worried it's the Linux of social media

Spot on. Join a server / set up a server - participate on said server - but it sort of doesn't matter, go wherever - get a confusing email address handle thing... dead in the water for mass market. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Spot on. Join a server / set up a server - participate on said server - but it sort of doesn't matter, go wherever - get a confusing email address handle thing... dead in the water for mass market. 

Yeah I saw it I think the Times or Guardian or whichever paper Reddit linked to and as soon as they had to explain what any of it even was and then showed their awkward unique tag it was obvious it’s doomed to fail. It’s arguable though it was never created to be a user-friendly Twitter killer in the first place though and people are barking up the wrong tree.

• Paid Members

I've made the move to Cohost recently, but not so much as a Twitter alternative as a replacement. I've not been happy on Twitter for a while, and with being the 'public face' of a fairly large game that a lot of teens play Twitter is now mostly a place where they remind me about my job 24 hours a day.

Cohost is closer to a tumblr than a Twitter though, and the lack of discovery and no algorithmic content means I feel like I can just be on there to read long blogs from interesting games/film people and chat my own shit to a small audience of people that actually know me. I've never managed to 'quit' Twitter before but having somewhere else to put that posting impulse is definitely helping curb the urge.