Mastodon and other twitter alternatives

Chris B

10 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Is Twitter actually on the way out then, or are people jumping the gun? 75% of my feed today has been people linking to their Instagram.

Summary of the latest developments here.

Apparently Musk was holding something of a crisis meeting with his remaining staff online and webcam feeds kept dropping out as more quit on the spot. Offices are now temporarily closed while they figure out who still works there.

It could all be business as usual next week, but if you have an account that you really don't want hacked, then to be on the safe side it might be worth preparing for the possible consequences of an unmanned/understaffed platform being the target of opportunists and bitter outbound employees alike.

• Paid Members

I think he’s behaving like a complete arse. I’m no businessman and I understand new ownership comes with corporate changes perhaps at the top level for instance, but to treat the vast majority of employees from the wider workforce like that is completely ridiculous. 

To effectively seek out to deliberately burn out your employees and then joke about it on the platform with daft tweets is poor form and the behaviour of a total penis. All of the above is turning consumers away from the platform too, so he’s actively hurting his new investment in the process. The man’s a fucking lunatic. 

I find the whole thing utterly bizarre, as if he's purposely sabotaging the business.  As @Fatty Facesitter says above, why would you purposely mock, degrade and abuse the majority of a workforce you've just spent a fortune buying.  I don't buy into Musk being the smartest man on the planet, but he's surely a better business man than this.  He's driving away staff, advertisers and users  - what's his end goal exactly?  Is there something in the structure of the deal that would make it beneficial to him for Twitter to fail? 

Twitter’s new owner said an amnesty for blocked users would begin next week after a majority of votes in a poll on his account backed the move. Accounts suspended on Twitter include Donald Trump’s former adviser Steve Bannon, rightwing UK commentator Katie Hopkins and David Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/24/elon-musk-offers-general-amnesty-to-suspended-twitter-accounts

Heartwarming news for those he suspended for changing their names to Elon Musk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Elon Musk also Tweeted in defence of that policy, saying "no traditional publisher allows this".

In doing so, he - presumably inadvertently - waded into one of the big legal debates around how social media should be governed - are they a platform or a publisher. If it's a platform, then it's basically no different to the town square that Twitter used to like to compare itself to - any nutter can stand there with a megaphone and shout their views, and you can't hold the town as a whole responsible. But if they're a publisher, then they're responsible for anything published on their site, the same way a newspaper is responsible for the content of anything they choose to print.

It will amount to nothing, but it would be hilariously schadenfreude if the deciding factor in that debate was Elon Musk being so thick that he just blurted out the word "publisher" and found himself suddenly liable for millions of problematic Tweets.