Mastodon and other twitter alternatives

Chris B

I quit Twitter as soon as they agreed to sell to Musk, and signed up for Mastodon more to reserve my username before any potential rush, but haven't given it much of a look yet. My first impressions match those already described; that it may be too high-concept to breach the mainstream tipping point.

I wasn't really sold by its key selling point either; that independent servers means no central moderating authority. That potentially creates the same irresponsible "free speech at all costs" environment that Musk wants for Twitter, and although it may be on servers I don't post on, it's still being enabled by the same platform.

I hope a true alternative does come along, because there are lots of things I miss about social media (having also ditched Facebook long ago), but I don't expect it to happen overnight.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I quit Twitter as soon as they agreed to sell to Musk

Why, out of interest. I've seen a lot of talk on there but apart from me not being able to know that really is Danny Baker of Richard blackwood posting pictures of thier tea I'm not really clear what's different. 

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Why, out of interest. I've seen a lot of talk on there but apart from me not being able to know that really is Danny Baker of Richard blackwood posting pictures of thier tea I'm not really clear what's different. 

While Dorsey is a dork he sort of let twitter govern itself (not a good thing). 

The final straw for many was a bunch of comedians changed their twitter 'name' (not handle) to Elon Musk. He threw a tantrum and banned them all. Anyone not outright advertising as a parody is insta banned. 

This doesn't bode well. 

Also noticable but anecdotal is I've been on twitter for a long time (that's right, I'm cool and kind of a big deal). My follower numbers are pretty static. In the past 10 days I've been followed by hundreds of new accounts with lots of numbers in the name and spouting crypto garbage. There's a change in the water. 

Admitedly currently I'm seeing less adverts and Elon Musk is publicly proving his idea of "free speech" is just as biased and flawed as he claims original flavour twitter's idea of "free speech" is.

I mostly only follow specific people who say things I find interesting and tend not to have huge follower counts so I can't really say I've seen much of increased hate speech etc (i'm sure it is increasing but I guess mostly visible at points you have large numbers of users interacting)

I guess things are likely to get worse, but for the moment I'm not that fussed about trying to migrate out to anywhere else. Although given how many people are threatening/going to do so the lack of content may become an issue (and i'm not subscribing to 400 substacks thanks, definitely want this sort of stuff in one place and not in my e-mail inbox)

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

Though purely video/creator based - YouTube rolling out the 'handles' feature is an interesting move. I can see them working in some kind of Twitter-esque feed system eventually, building on their Community tab which allows creators with 500 or more subscribers to put out the equivalent of a status update, or a poll, etc, only into more of an integrated feed-style system.

It could work well in cases where a video covers a particular topic of interest...less so if you've got people looking at funny cat and dog videos. Or for news videos where people will still mudsling with each other across the political divide. 

I signed up for mastodon but took a day for my confirmation email to come through and it looks like shit. Twitter with words and people muted is still the way for me. 

• Paid Members

Slightly off topic (even for off topic), but also slightly ‘on’ topic (talk about blurred lines) - John Cena’s official Twitter account seems to be on some kind of mad following spree. Not sure if this is part of some sort of wider engagement, if the actual John Cena is actually, genuinely interested in certain topics (such as Team GB’s Olympic team!) or if it’s some kind of bot error. 

Cena’s usually a really positive sort on Twitter though. I’d rather have a platform full of his type spreading good tidings than that “Truth” social site created by the pro-Trump mob. 

55 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Slightly off topic (even for off topic), but also slightly ‘on’ topic (talk about blurred lines) - John Cena’s official Twitter account seems to be on some kind of mad following spree. Not sure if this is part of some sort of wider engagement, if the actual John Cena is actually, genuinely interested in certain topics (such as Team GB’s Olympic team!) or if it’s some kind of bot error. 

Cena’s usually a really positive sort on Twitter though. I’d rather have a platform full of his type spreading good tidings than that “Truth” social site created by the pro-Trump mob. 

That’s been happening for a few years, follows a few people  in know from going to shows and then just randoms with no interest in him