Mastodon and other twitter alternatives

Chris B

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Isn't that exactly what the French guy in Onyx's post said? Or am I missing something?

Basically, though I'm not sure to what extent that could be more than an empty threat - Twitter has always editorialised to some extent, whether through banning certain things, restricting certain accounts, or even the "trending" algorithm itself, and the French guy's argument seems to be thatĀ theseĀ reasons for banning or suspending accounts would be somehow different than just abiding by the existing terms of service. There is an argument that it will be illegal under incoming EU law, but at the moment, I'm not sure the new rules would make that much of a marked difference in how the site is governed - if the only reasons you could be banned, suspended, or have Tweets deleted prior to now was by posting illegal content, then there would be an argument, but I'm not sure that's the case.

It's not so much that Musk said the word "publisher", as that his kneejerk decisions and his (seemingly) fairly clueless efforts to justify and defend them, could end up being the deciding factor in changing how Twitter (and potentially all social media) is held accountable, and assuming there's no grandĀ The ProducersĀ style scam going on to tank the value of Twitter, I'd at least get some amusement out of him ruining his investment by trying to post his way through it with infinite variations of the dril, "I'm not mad, don't put it in the paper that I was mad" Tweet, each one doing more damage than the last.