Chris B

On 9/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, Loki said:

The only scenario I’d enjoy is if they go full sports entertainment.  Have a proper 100% Punk heel turn where he becomes everything his fans hate.  Have Tony Khan come down and hand him a steel chair to wallop Moxley for the win and then have Punk be a fully smug corporate champion, talking about buyrates and spots on the card, the two of them sitting together at press conferences looking like arseholes whilst Moxley rages through the crowd at tv looking to force a rematch and the BCC beat up all of Khan’s chosen stars.

After years of slightly po-faced “who’s the best wrestler who’s good at wrestling” AEW it’d be nice to have a bit of big drama.

I just realised I basically predicted this - but in my mind it was actually a wrestling angle.  Something to forge storylines.  I thought you could take Punk's backstory of being an unloved prick and help turn him heel.

Now, maybe... that's what they're trying to do.  But it feels more like it's just Punk being Punk.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I think that The Rock's style at the time - he's an asshole to EVERYONE, not just heels - was very much influenced by what had come before, with Stone Cold. 

You're right of course.

But in wrestling the heels usually get their comeuppance in the end. Anyone being nasty to the Fink in the early 90's, for example, would usually get a slap from the babyface eventually.

With the Rock, because he was a babyface he'd get away with calling every minnion a cunt, with no reprisals, and still win at the end of the day.

I can see why lower down wrestlers would be annoyed at just being made to look a fool, knowing full well there'd never be a pay-off.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I can see why lower down wrestlers would be annoyed at just being made to look a fool, knowing full well there'd never be a pay-off.

I can, but in those days when business was hot, especially 2000 when there was no Austin so Rocky was driving the gravy train by himself, they'd be idiots to try and kill the golden goose given their pay offs/merch money were coming off the back of the gates Rock was drawing. It would be cutting off their knob to spite their face.

Per Sports Illustrated:

"Sports Illustrated has learned, will include suspensions for every person involved. The list of those receiving suspensions includes Omega, Matt and Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa, and Brandon Cutler. Multiple sources have shared that Punk and Ace Steel will either be among those suspended, or will no longer be with the company by the end of Wednesday."

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Can anyone gimme a brief rundown of the beats of what on earth happened. 

Punk gave out at a presser. Young Bucks kicked a door down and Ace Steele bit and threw chairs? 

Punk done the presser

after it the bucks went to his dressing room with Daniels as not happy with it 

punk & steel chose violence throwing punches and chairs 

pull apart ensued where steel bit Omega 

omega and punk talked later in the night but didn’t resolve anything 

punk met khan Tuesday and nothing resolved. 
The elite site all suspended for now, nothing announced yet re steel and punk, expecting firings there 

• Paid Members

Buck, Daniels and Steel being involved in the brawl is probably the worst part of it. As producers/talent relations they're supposed to represent the office not the wrestlers, their job should be to diffuse these situations not bite people and throw chairs.