Chris B

Top level players in any industry have a different set of rules to everyone else, they get paid more, they get listened to more, they have more influence on leadership and often they get a lot more leway when they fuck up.

In 2022 its not acceptable to punch people, even in an under-developed 3rd world country like the US. But for some reason I'm very much rooting for Punk and hope somehow he manages to stay or at least come back after a leave of unpaid absence or some shit?

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The problem isn’t “unscripted” because historically (e.g. when promos were great) while wrestlers weren’t given a “script” they tended to be given a few bullet points for what they needed to get across, then went out and got them across in their own voice. The issue with the “script” era has been that they’ve been fed lines to recite verbatim, nothing comes across natural and everyone ends up sounding the same. Dispensing with that formula doesn’t mean giving the wrestlers carte blanche to say whatever they want, it just means they aren’t given what they need to say “word for word.” That’s been what the wrestlers hate.

The biggest real life issue over shooty comments in the history of the business, Bret vs Shawn, came about because Bret asked Shawn if he was OK with Bret making “gay” remarks about his Playgirl appearance, HBK replying “Say whatever you want,” then later getting the hump when he actually heard it, and responding with things about Stu that he definitely didn’t run by Bret first, and eventually, “Sunny days.” Wrestlers being told “this is your angle” and being allowed to craft it in their own vision is the way forward ; wrestlers being allowed to think anything is fair game to get over their perceived animosity is where it becomes problematic.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The biggest real life issue over shooty comments in the history of the business, Bret vs Shawn, came about because Bret asked Shawn if he was OK with Bret making “gay” remarks about his Playgirl appearance, HBK replying “Say whatever you want,” then later getting the hump when he actually heard it

Funny you mention that, I recently read Brian Gerwitz book and he says pretty much the same thing happened with The Rock who would run his insults past his opponent beforehand then afterwards they would be upset about it. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Funny you mention that, I recently read Brian Gerwitz book and he says pretty much the same thing happened with The Rock who would run his insults past his opponent beforehand then afterwards they would be upset about it. 

That doesn’t surprise me given that Rock at his peak coincided with Hunter getting into a position of quasi-power through his relationship with Steph, and knowing that Hunter had personal dislike for Rocky, some of the boys might have tried to curry favour with him by finding any reason to bellyache about The Rock.

• Paid Members

There was also the fact that the Rock often punched down on lower down wrestlers/other staff and their characters usually had no chance to even answer back or have their comeuppance in the ring.

These days a lot of his promos would be considered bullying by some.

Edited by garynysmon

6 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Sapp's done interviews on Fightful in kayfabe with wrestlers doing full gimmick, he's as much Apter as he is anything else.

SRS tries to have his cake and eat it. Perfectly summed up by a recent tweet. He's both a news guy and a gossip columnist.

Here's my report filled with all these rumours but ignore these rumours I talked about on a pod or tweeted about as I wasn't reporting those. Just saying what I heard that's not a report.

He knows full well anything he talks or tweets about gets aggregated and represented as fact.

6 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

SRS tries to have his cake and eat it. Perfectly summed up by a recent tweet. He's both a news guy and a gossip columnist.

To be fair on him, his early reporting on this situation has proved to be pretty accurate, and I say that as someone who dismissed it completely as it seemed so unlikely that Punk would have been as pissed off as he was. I'd have to assume his sources on this one are, or at least were, pretty solid. 

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

A fair few things like this in previous promos from several guys being picked up on and shared. At the time felt like just a part of the show but in hindsight who knows.

Pretty sure Mox is friends with Punk. The difference between that promo and Eddie's with Page's is that Page obviously didn't run it past Punk. That promo was shit and basically has started all this nonsense.

I imagine suspensions all around on this. Top guys do get leeway, its the way of the wrestling world. It shouldn't have ever got this far, and Khan needs to read the riot act. In wrestling there's nothing this bad that they can't hash out and earn a tonne of money further down the line.

• Paid Members

Fair play to him. He does what a few of us do, recycles what he hears regardless of whether it’s verified or not, but he gets paid for it.

• Paid Members

While there was nothing particularly enlightening in the latest BTE, one thing that did come across - AEW doesn't often have gruelling schedules, but the last week or so has been full-on in comparison to normal. It sounds like everyone was exhausted, so may have been an extra factor to tempers flaring.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While there was nothing particularly enlightening in the latest BTE, one thing that did come across - AEW doesn't often have gruelling schedules, but the last week or so has been full-on in comparison to normal. It sounds like everyone was exhausted, so may have been an extra factor to tempers flaring.

Agreed. I even watched Sammy's Vlog this week (shudder) and he mentioned they had been in the same hotel for a week and they were going straight to Buffalo. Usually they get in the day of or day before and are back home Thursday (unless there is a live rampage), so I think that would have possibly escalated the tension. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

There was also the fact that the Rock often punched down on lower down wrestlers/other staff and their characters usually had no chance to even answer back or have their comeuppance in the ring.

These days a lot of his promos would be considered bullying by some.

I thought that at the time. Poor Kevin Kelly.

Always thought Stone Cold came across as a horrible bully too. But it was the style back then I guess .

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

These days a lot of (Rock's) promos would be considered bullying by some.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I thought that at the time. Poor Kevin Kelly.

Always thought Stone Cold came across as a horrible bully too. But it was the style back then I guess .

I think that The Rock's style at the time - he's an asshole to EVERYONE, not just heels - was very much influenced by what had come before, with Stone Cold. He became popular booked as a heel because he would strike at anyone (like a rattlesnake, you see) regardless of what side of the fence they were on, as opposed to the tradition of heels and faces all being chummy chummy, then carried that over into his face character, where he didn't need ANYONE to help him and would attack anyone he thought was interfering in his business, even if they were trying to help him. His partnerships were all reluctant and rarely lasted, and he stayed true to that character throughout, so that authenticity was a big part of his popularity.

With the Rock, it was very much the same. He was a funny heel, in terms of how he talked to his Nation mates etc, and his third person delusions of grandeur, and ended up talking to everyone like they were "monkey crap" and so on, and he was so good at it that he had his false start turn in 98, they were able to turn him heel effectively, then even though Stone Cold was top of the tree, turn him back seamlessly in 1999. They'd learned enough lessons from Diesel where turning a wrestler babyface meant fundamental changes to what had made the character gain traction to begin with, that they had to leave Rocky how he was. He took the piss out of fellow heels when he was a heel, he'd carry on taking the piss out of everyone, because that's who he was.

If I told you I hadn't made it my mission to turn every AEW thread into a discussion about mid-late 90s WWF, I hope you'd all believe me....