Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members

It'd definitely be a far cry from managing the one decent team in what's usually at best a two horse race. It's almost 40 years since a team that wasn't Celtic or Rangers won that league. 

4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It'd definitely be a far cry from managing the one decent team in what's usually at best a two horse race. It's almost 40 years since a team that wasn't Celtic or Rangers won that league. 

True but he's won the title in Australia and Japan too as well as winning the Asian cup and managing the Socceroos at the World Cup. He's not a rookie or low level coach by any means. 

I wouldn’t dismiss him leaving Celtic for Leicester as a salary job. That Leicester job was a much bigger job than the Celtic one. Winning the FA Cup with them is easily his biggest accomplishment in management. It just so happens that Leicester’s finances turned to shit and players see through Rodgers corpo plastic Pep schtick after a while. 

25 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

True but he's won the title in Australia and Japan too as well as winning the Asian cup and managing the Socceroos at the World Cup. He's not a rookie or low level coach by any means. 

Oh he won't fit in with us then. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

Come on, even you must be mildly interested to see what he could actually do in a league where the gap between his club and most others isn't borderline "Football Manager with the money cheat switched on" level.

Plus, he must be at least curious as to how he'd fare against the top managers in the game. If he has any ambition, that is.

If I was an outsider watching a similar situation involving the manager of say Dinamo Zagreb or HJK Helsinki then yes, absolutely. However, as a Celtic man, Ange brings us success, seems a terrific man and brings an outstandingly entertaining brand of football, and so because of that personal connection, I want him at Celtic Park forever. 

It's inevitable he will go eventually though. As you say, he's a man of high ambitions and clearly very very good at this football managing game so it's only a matter of time until a team with financially more to offer comes calling.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I don't think there's any doubt if Tottenham come in that Ange would leave, more so for the challenge than the money. 

Geraint Pillock vibes there. A reference probably only Butch will get.

And it certainly would be a challenge. Imagine the brief at Spurs! Kane's going to leave, Son's going to leave, keeper and the back 4/5 all need replacing and usually the signings are who the director of football fancies/can get, regardless of what the manager actually wants. Aside from keeping Hojbjerg and Bentancur, I have no idea what our team might look like next year. Except I'm fairly confident Champions League is off the table for the next couple of years at least - last season was the Dead Cat Bounce, off some momentum that picking up Bentancur and Kulusevski gave us and the Arsenal falling apart in the last couple of weeks. Between Arsenal, City, United, Liverpool, Newcastle and a Chelsea that will no doubt come back, we're going to be best of the rest if we're lucky.

Ange would just replace the underachievers who are leaving Spurs with Japanese players who will work twice as hard and run twice as far for a fraction of the budget. Not sure that will be enough to win them anything, but the fans will at least be entertained and see a team of professionals who put in the graft.

Sell Kane to United for £100 million and replace him with Kyogo from Celtic, and the talismanic Budget Bergkamp Kevin Van Veen from Motherwell. Kyogo will cost about £12 million, and you can get Van Veen for between £40 - £50 million if you ask nicely, and still have money left over to buy the entire J-League.

Simple.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Would be about time we had something back for Lineker. Left because he felt like his powers were waning having "only" managed 28 goals in 35 games in his last season in the First Division.

• Paid Members

Posted this in the predictions thread but if Mark Field (AKA FC Tomiyasewy) can drop me a PM, he has won the coveted Official FPL UKFF 'Chippy Tea League' - and thus not only has he won the league, but also as per I promise I made earlier in the season, he's won a free chippy tea on me 👍

Edited by Fatty Facesitter