Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

13 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Big Ange then @SuperBacon but will his attacking style encourage Kane to stay or Levy not to cash in on him?

Not sure, but he's sure to love Skippy in the middle, waaaaheeeeeeey.

Ahem, but in all seriousness, I'm quite pleased with it. Someone made a really good point earlier that we should have a manager who has worked his bollocks off to make it to the top (stop bloody laughing).

The last couple of managers (not Nuno or Mason obviously) always made it feel like we were doing them a favour and we were beneath them.

As for Kane, a big bid from Madrid would be hard to turn down, and seems a bit more serious now that Benzema is off. If going off and winning a Copa Del Rey to validate his career means that much to him, let him go. He could go for 2 years, come back and still break Shearers record. It's not as if his game has ever relied on pace. He could well play into his late 30s.

That is if Haaland hasn't broke it in 3 years the massive freak.

5 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

Ange will defo take Kyogo with him and I think he can do a job in the Prem. he likes a pressing fast and high intensity game. Do Spurs have the players for that?

I think they do, but there are obvious upgrades that need to be made. 

The midfield is a bit too "functional" and "workmanlike" for me, but that's just me. If I had my way I'd get rid of defensive midfielders altogether (calm down Ardiles)

At times this season I have probably thought I'd never like to see Hojbjerg in a Spurs shirt ever again, but he's just knackered I reckon, and often doing the work of 2 players, but play him a bit higher up like he does for Denmark.

We badly missed Bentancur (who won't be at Spurs for much longer, he's way beyond us) and in Porro and Udogie, we now have two rapid, pressing full/wing backs so that's nice. Porro is also a really fun, attacking player which I like.

Perisic I'd keep around for the knowledge and experience but his days as a starter are over and I have no issues with any of the defence as squad players, but get another CB in alongside Romero (and tell him to sort his attitude and effort, at times last season he too the piss big time)

No issue with the front lot, they can all stay and play, I'd like to see Richarlison and Danjuma start a bit more, and Kulusevski find his form and his right foot. They can all press, even Harry at a reduced pace. 

Obviously we keep Ben Davies forever and make him a coach, and one day the owner. He brings Gaz Baz in as his DoF. He builds a golf course in the stadium. Golf > Go-karts. 

Here's to next years treble, and I can delete the spreadsheet forever.

For Ange's system to work the holding midfielder/pivot is crucial. Celtic found it harder to start attacks from the back when Callum McGregor was injured. The other side of it is you need energetic wingers and a striker to press the opponent very high, similar to how Man City do it. I actually wonder whether Kane fits in that system, although Giokoumakis and Oh weren't necessarily the fastest most agile strikers when Kyogo was out.

I'm not sure who the full backs are at Spurs these days but they need to be able to come inside and play as a central midfielder much more than overlap. If he gets the time I would expect a top four finish for Spurs.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Not that anyone asked for it, but here's my two cents on the new gaffer.

My general thoughts are the same as they would be for anyone new at the helm ; he needs to have a really strong say in the transfer targets, as the team's going to be very much what he builds, and if he's been given a two year contract which they need to honour. We're going to learn nothing next season as he needs to spend a year building his team, deciding who his team are and what formation etc, then his second season is where you judge if its worked or not. At the end of two years you can let the contract expire without a compensation pay off if it hasn't worked, but he needs the full two years because a total rebuild is required. Kane will leave, Son should leave, the keeper and defence all need replacing. He's got to pick a new team almost man for man. EDIT - while I had this drafted I've been informed its a four year deal so... scrap what I said about comp.

For Posti himself - I've seen a lot of my mob decrying the lack of a "high profile" appointment, which is bollocks. Neither Martin Jol nor Pochettino (at the time) were high profile either but both did great jobs of building new teams from an utter shambles inherited, and did far better to their KPI than Mourinho or Conte. AVB is arguably an outlier, coming to Spurs with a pedigree and achieving Spurs' highest Premier League points total to that point in 2013 (which stood until 2017) with a total that would seal 4th more years than it wouldn't, but losing out because the top 4 that year were imperious. But my point being that managers that build a team rather than relying on signing star names tend to do the best. Worth remembering that Pochettino, for instance, built a team around Harry Kane plucked from the reserves and a never-ending series of loans, Son who must have been perceived as a gamble, and Dele Alli signed for 50p and a Twix.

So, I'm fairly happy. Let's hope the Postman delivers.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone would like a word.

Oh sure, Timbo gave him a few games tail end of 2014 when he knew his run was over, fancied giving time to one of his under 21 team, played 2 strikers like a maverick. But Adebayor was still first choice start of 14-15 until Poch threw on the lad scoring in every league cup/Europa game, away to Villa in dire need of a goal, and when Harry popped in his first (and before Brentford only) free kick goal for us, to win the game - and then stuck with him. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, but I was at Villa Park for that one.

Sherwood did start Kane a few times. But then he also loved Mason & Bentaleb in the middle. Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by air_raid

I wasn't being serious. Sherwood is an absolute pleb and deserves no credit.

Anyway, to dare is to didgeridoo. 

Not sorry.

Edit: Also, does the free kick against Brentford count? I'm not sure it does Clive. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Edit: Also, does the free kick against Brentford count? I'm not sure it does Clive. 

As in, count as "direct from a free kick?" Probably not if you want to get all "Opta" about it (and I loathe the current environment where "pre-assists" will soon be a stat-worthy thing), but in my head it counts far more than the Villa one which was a direct strike but cannoned in off the wall. If we're going to say that doesn't count as a free kick then an awful lot of, for instance, Stuart Pearce's from back in the day didn't either. I don't want to live in that world.

Edited by air_raid

13 minutes ago, Factotum said:

He will have to start strongly, both Home & Away (sorry.....or am I?)

Let’s hope he doesn’t have to face the Neighbours too early in the season then. If they’re still looking for a Lloris replacement by then they’ll have to bring Paul Robinson out of retirement.