Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

A world league would mean they wouldn't need to be in Manchester.

True, but it would also mean they wouldn't need to be anywhere else, no?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Weezenal said:

In theory could a club be moved to another country? Let's say Man United owners wanted to take the club to the US and join MLS. I mean they wouldn't but could they?

Eventually we'll have a European or World league so what's to stop them moving.

Why would they move them? What would be the point of that? 

6 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

New owners hate Tory Britain and the people? War? Bring some tourists to Middle East?

The reason teams/franchises move cities is because of revenue. They aren’t getting good attendances, they’re in a place that favours a different sport. But Man Utd don’t have those issues, and for the latter, nor do any club with the possible exception of Wigan. 

I get the point of, say, moving them to Qatar for a world league but then they wouldn’t be Man Utd and you’ve just lost a century of brand recognition overnight, as well as losing one of the most famous clubs in the world. If it’s franchising, just start a new one. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Apart from MK Dons, have any other UK clubs moved in the modern era? As in moved "officially", rather than just changing geographic location a bit but keeping the same name?

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

New owners hate Tory Britain and the people? War? Bring some tourists to Middle East?

But then you lose a huge part of the fanbase instantly. It isn't Manchester United anymore. It makes no sense on any level at all.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Apart from MK Dons, have any other UK clubs moved in the modern era? As in moved "officially", rather than just changing geographic location a bit but keeping the same name?

I really, really wish they would drop the Dons part of their name. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It could be 300 years and Spurs fans would still be inexplicably bitter. 

In all honesty, I'm obviously not bitter about something that happened over 100 years ago, its just something to joke about innit.

If anything, it's a fairly funny apocryphal tale (the parrot dying etc) and created a rivalry that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Who would that leave? Small clubs like Barnet or West Ham (we love Orient so that doesn't count) No thanks :)

Racking my brains on @Carbombs question though. Plenty of teams who have temporarily moved grounds, but I can only think of Milton Keynes that have wholesale moved. 

• Paid Members

It was precisely because of Royal/Woolwich Arsenal that I put "modern" in my post.

EDIT: Anyway, it's as I figured - it's not something we tend to entertain culturally here. An American friend told me the reason it's more common in the US is because they don't have relegation and promotion, and the number of slots they have in their leagues stay the same, so if a billionaire decides they want a pro sports team in their neck of the woods, they have to buy one and then move it.

Edited by Carbomb