Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members

United fans and Liverpool fans and Arsenal fans could, I suppose, make a point that their position of wealth and success came from a building over the course of decades rather than an instant cash injection. Which is true.

But because of the way football is structured, if you are a club outside of that gang, how do you realistically catch up? You don't. Even the Leicester 'miracle' wasn't achieved on a shoestring budget. Really, it's the teams lower down the league that should be complaining when a club suddenly becomes oil rich. United, Arsenal and Liverpool didn't completely go away during recent fallow periods, after all, and they will always rise back to the surface. But those who used to be on City's level may have a legitimate reason to complain that that's no longer the case anymore.

The system has been way too entrenched for decades for it to change to something fairer. This is what the game is in most countries and everyone just has to live with it.

11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

instant cash injection.

I suppose it could be argued that Sky was the instant cash injection but then everyone got it, some just invested better than others.

Obviously United had the advantage of the youth system and Arsenal had the advantage of the most forward thinking coach in the world coming in, but like you say both were pretty successful clubs.

United had to settle for Cups for a long time but they were still probably always one of the top two "biggest" clubs in England during that period.

For me, for years now it's been a "hold your nose and watch" affair.

Do I like the Premier League and how its run? Obviously no Clive 

Could it be fairer? Obviously yes Garth.

I don't really see the point of moaning about it, when there are so many other things that are worthy of my energy. This might be apathetic but I really can't get worked up about VAR or refereeing, or handball rules, or cash rich clubs. I just can't be arsed.

I'd love to see it ripped up and be more egalitarian but that isn't going to happen any time soon. 

35 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Even the Leicester 'miracle' wasn't achieved on a shoestring budget.

Indeed. They were owned / bankrolled by a billionaire. 

17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I suppose it could be argued that Sky was the instant cash injection but then everyone got it, some just invested better than others.

I remember an Alex Ferguson interview when fixture congestion because of televised games was troubling Man Utd. He said it was an issue but when you shake hands with the devil you have to accept they want their part of the deal (or words to that effect). And as usual he is right, without the Sky money English teams wouldn’t be attractive to the best talent in the world. 

Isn’t there more equity in TV money in England than the other leading leagues? Can’t Spanish teams get fans to subscribe to their club tv for games, or is that not a thing anymore? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Can’t speak for London, but in the midlands I noticed most of the hatred towards Chelsea came from Man Utd and Arsenal fans. Mainly because they broke the monopoly they had on the premier league. They didn’t like that someone else could compete financially with them so moaned about buying the league etc. 

They're largely the only two fanbases that remember right and speak the truth about that era. Beyond freak seasons like 98/99, we wouldn't have been competing with them naturally.

It's the fans of all the other clubs terrible memories and/or pure fantasy that piss me off. There's fans of teams relegated in 2003 who'll look you dead in the eye and tell you with a straight face that Abramovich taking over was the moment that Champions League Chelsea unfairly leapfrogged them in the pecking order of English football!

• Paid Members

Would anyone else here be pretty astounded, if anything of actual significance happened to Man City over this? I just fail to see them getting anything more than a cursory slap on the wrist. Since they can afford it, the PL could get a nice chunky fine out of them and City could be slapped with an almost meaningless four point deduction. "Enough to probably cost you the league lads, but not cost you European football. Hope you've learnt your lesson."

Really, the Premier League should be punishing themselves for the whole debacle. That it's taken them this long for the penny to drop? Well that's fucking incompetent, really. Surprise, surprise. 

It'd be hilarious to see City get relegated and United to pick up Haaland for a pound mix up and a pork pie. Positively lovely. But I'd be more hopeful of my hair growing back of it's own accord than that being a possibility. 

• Paid Members

In theory could a club be moved to another country? Let's say Man United owners wanted to take the club to the US and join MLS. I mean they wouldn't but could they?

Eventually we'll have a European or World league so what's to stop them moving.

4 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

In theory could a club be moved to another country? Let's say Man United owners wanted to take the club to the US and join MLS. I mean they wouldn't but could they?

No. That’s a key difference between a club and a franchise. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Weezenal said:

Eventually we'll have a European or World league so what's to stop them moving.

If there was a European or World league, there wouldn't be a need to move.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There could be if moving the “Franchise” to a more profitable location was an option. 

I don't think Shane Douglas has ever made anywhere more profitable