Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

11 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Newcastle were WAY better than I expected across the season. The World Cup wasn't our friend and I'm somewhat apprehensive about what Champs League does to a club with a long history of everyone's knees falling off in the winter. But yeah, aside from having to put the cognitive dissonance helmet on every time the owners are mentioned, it's been genuinely the funnest season to be a Newcastle fan in my lifetime.

(Yes, I know about the Keegan years but frankly, at that age I was more interested in music, Playstation and wanking.)

It was a more innocent time, no need for the cognitive dissonance helmet for starters. We were also pretty much doing what everyone expected the Saudis to do and just hoying money around trying to build the funnest team to watch possible. Also at about 14 or 15 I couldn't imagine us not winning something eventually, I mean how could we not? 20 odd years of mediocrity later, I'm still not convinced we will, but fuck, it's nice watching a team give it a fucking go. 

(I've also calmed down on the wanking.)

• Paid Members

As a Millwall fan I knew that we were never getting in the playoffs, but even I could not believe the way we conjured the best out of a Blackburn team that couldn't find the back of the net with an atlas for the last couple of months. Zian Flemming was a great addition to the team and he has a long throw that Dave Challinor or Rory Delap would envy. Book us in for 8th again next season, and also book us in for police overtime when dirty Leeds come to town. The Met have enough problems and they must have been willing Spurs on to do them a solid and capitulate against Big Sam's boys, but alas it wasn't to be. Sorry Rashers but your lads might feel the prosecutorial backlash for that. 

5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Sorry Rashers but your lads might feel the prosecutorial backlash for that. 

Locking up half the defence and midfield would be fine thanks very much.

Any Championship fans that come down to Southampton next season give me a shout if you fancy a pint/fry up/chippy tea.

Just a shame Portsmouth didn't go up really. That would've been fun.

4 hours ago, sj5522 said:

Any fans of League Two clubs about?
I'm a Notts County supporter. We have some team and look good for consecutive promotions, but others may know the standard required better than I.

Documentary FC Wrexham should be right up there too of course. Wasn't that impressed by the standard in the L2 playoffs personally and think both of us go up one way or another. 3 automatic promotion spots instead of 1 should be a huge factor.

Not any more having seen Stevenage promoted this season! Over all though, as long as the team stay together and don't get gutted by other sides and any replacements/switches over the Summer aren't useless, I'd expect you to go well. Top sides in the conference should have enough about them to give promotion a push when they go up and with the points totals that you and Wrexham put together I'd not be surprised to see both of you up automatically. 

41 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Not any more having seen Stevenage promoted this season! Over all though, as long as the team stay together and don't get gutted by other sides and any replacements/switches over the Summer aren't useless, I'd expect you to go well. Top sides in the conference should have enough about them to give promotion a push when they go up and with the points totals that you and Wrexham put together I'd not be surprised to see both of you up automatically. 

Yeah, there's not too much worry we'll stay a strong team. Some Championship & League 1 sides hovering around some of our players of course but from top to bottom we are just a proper football club now. Great board, great recruitment, great manager. It all feels very strange, I am used to having owners that either post their cock on twitter or are convicted frauds that claim to have North Korean gold, so these sensible Danish data-analysts have really transformed us into something special to watch.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Blackburn stayed in the play off positions all season, then fell apart and out of them in the last few weeks, again. You would think maybe the wankers who own us would build a squad now, not just a half decent first team.

We ruined things for Millwall on the last day of the season though, which was fucking hilarious. We should get an honourary promotion just for that tbh.

Couldn't put it much better myself. The season was like how a lot of their matches tend to go. Start well, then just seem to give up right towards the end. Finished on a high note, but about 5 games too late. The problem is with Brereton-Diaz and Dack leaving I don't know where the goals are going to come from next season so don't even think they'll make the playoffs. It's definitely time Venky's made some serious investments in the squad rather than just keep lending themselves money. Feels like they've become a "selling club"

Best of Saint & Greavsie FA Cup special on ITV4 at 10.25. I believe that this will now be a regular thing on Saturday mornings again, which is fantastic news. I watched whatever I could find of it in the first lockdown, but they are all brilliant to see again.

This one it says features Jimmy interviewing Mike Tyson which is an all time great clip.

• Paid Members

For the 2023/24 season the ballpark for improvement is for Man City to concede two goals in the FA Cup. Preferably in the same game.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, westlondonmist said:

I don't really understand how a season being 12 points ahead and pissing it away could be more fun than this one. 

As an Arsenal fan this year, maybe I'm well-placed to answer that one. Most fans on the outside (some on the inside too) focus on the ending, but a lot of us are still very happy with what we saw this year. More goals than we've ever scored in the PL, tied for most wins we've ever managed with the Invincibles, entertaining football with a young, likeable team, some amazingly dramatic wins home and away, and a stupidly long time on top of the table. Falling in the final stretch really doesn't sap away all the joy we experienced from August to March. I imagine it's very similar for those 90's Newcastle fans. Sure, this year Newcastle have been really good, but you're never going to accumulate as many good memories in a top four race as you will in a title charge.

1 hour ago, seph said:

One more for the spreadsheet?

I think the funniest thing for all involved is he goes, Barcelona dominate for a few years, he wins fuck all, and in that time Spurs fluke a cup win, and he comes back to get his goal scoring record.

Even I would find that funny.

• Paid Members

As a United fan, I am so underwhelmed by these Mount rumours. I thought he was quite overrated even at his peak, but he has been nowhere for 12 months now (injuries or not). Can't help but feel the 60m odd could be better spent elsewhere.

He must be getting offered huge wages too because Chelsea love a massive contract and he’s knocking them back. He’s a very tidy player but I can’t say I was too bothered when I read he didn’t fancy going to Liverpool. 

Liverpool are looking to tie up Mac Allister this week, for a relatively low fee too. Great business if it goes through he’s an excellent midfielder.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

He must be getting offered huge wages too because Chelsea love a massive contract and he’s knocking them back. He’s a very tidy player but I can’t say I was too bothered when I read he didn’t fancy going to Liverpool. 

Liverpool are looking to tie up Mac Allister this week, for a relatively low fee too. Great business if it goes through he’s an excellent midfielder.

Gary McAllister > Alexis Mac Allister.