Joey Ryan now works for Disney

Daddymagic

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I do have a unique perspective which brings nuance, something that isn't all that fashionable in 2022.

Where's the nuance here?

4 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Right. I’m clearly wording it terribly. What do we do about cases that never even make it to court or sometimes aren’t even reported to the police? Do we treat these accused the same way we’d treat someone with a guilty verdict? Why and to what degree? 
I’m not trying to prove a point, I genuinely want to know.

It largely depends how you choose to define "we". If you mean it in a broad sense meaning society in general, then unfortunately I don't have an answer for that. In this country, and no doubt others too, the difficulties in getting rape and sexual assault cases to court and successfully prosecuted are well documented. A "he said" versus "she said" case is unlikely to get to court to start with, that's even assuming someone would even get charged. If you mean it in a narrower sense as in say us here on this forum, a good starting point would be to believe victims when they come forward and not ask for corroborating evidence for their allegations.

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

You'll get used to it! 

On a side note, I'm extremely concerned if any jury is made up of most people on here. The subject is emotive and rightly so. And at the same time, we must look at FACTS not claims. Ban people w convictions from jobs involving vulnerable people. Lock them away. Though you MUST have evidence to support that.

I don't imagine any person here wants a trial by social media and/or without a fair process. People lie...on all sides. I'm not making assumptions about anyone. 

On q side note, I have worked w serial killers, rapists, molesters, arsonists, armed robbers etc. I have to be neutral whilst also having strong emotions about people I work with. I do have a unique perspective which brings nuance, something that isn't all that fashionable in 2022.

"People lie on all sides"

"I do have a unique perspective which brings nuance."

Yeah, massively nuanced there.

Look, if it was entirely one person's word against another's, that might be one thing. I know enough people who work in the care system and with offenders to know that some people make up lies to get someone else in trouble. And there have been cases where that's been taken into account.

But in the majority of the cases we're discussing on here, where people have been drummed out of the industry, and got to the point where other employers might not want to be associated with them, it's not been as a result of one person's story. It's been multiple.

At that point, which is more likely? That sixteen women engaged in a conspiracy to make up lies to bring down a midcard pro-wrestler? Or that, when one came out, others backed her up saying 'yep, that's what he's like, I've had the same thing' and collectively called for a safer workplace?

If we're going on the basis that only people who've had convictions against them should have difficulty getting employed, that's an extremely high bar that would see the likes of Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein continue to work until... well, until if they get convicted. What you're arguing for would continue to make workplaces dangerous for vulnerable people who work with predators that take basic precautions to avoid getting caught - how is this a nuanced take?

It's also been pointed out before, but removing someone's liberty, and someone facing any consequences whatsoever are two different things. And we are not expected to act like we're on a jury here. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

But in the majority of the cases we're discussing on here, where people have been drummed out of the industry, and

Not just that, but it’s the wrestling industry. One of the scummiest industries there is. Imagine being that bad they turn their back on you. 

With the accusations Ryan has faced, it's always going to be a bit iffy working in a public-facing role, especially a role that involves children and young people. 

If the neckbeard justice crowd were coming after him and crying about him driving a forklift in the stockroom for B&Q then fair enough, that's a bit much, but I think Disney are well within their rights to send him packing once they were made aware of the accusations.

• Paid Members

we still don't know that Disney did fire him because of the allegations - the only comment they gave to the L.A. Times was that he was in a probation period, and they didn't take him on full-time. He could easily just have not passed his probation and been let go.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

we still don't know that Disney did fire him because of the allegations - the only comment they gave to the L.A. Times was that he was in a probation period, and they didn't take him on full-time. He could easily just have not passed his probation and been let go.

I’m sure it’ll be mentioned in his upcoming cancelled gimmick for those Control Your Narrative wronguns 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m sure it’ll be mentioned in his upcoming cancelled gimmick for those Control Your Narrative wronguns 

I'm still half-convinced he's already involved with them behind the scenes, though admittedly that's based on zero evidence whatsoever.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:30 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I’m completely sure that the “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” brigade extend that courtesy to accusers and never go along with “They’re making it up” if they haven’t been convicted of making a false claim because that would be rampant hypocritical misogyny. 

It's a double edged sword. I think this guy is guilty and a piece of shit, but an accusation against someone shouldn't automatically ruin their lives.

Should he be working at Disney? Nah mate. 

Edited by RoryT