woke.

PunkStep

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

There's a Black Cock Inn in Caerphilly. That refers to a chicken though, so that's ok.

Nice little ramblers pub round the corner from me. They used to do a 'big black cock burger' but it doesn't seem to be on the menu anymore. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

I hate the term "woke".

Firstly it means NOTHING at all. It used to have some meaning (awareness of injustice and inequality etc) but as with most things it has been hijacked by the right and turned into some sort of insult. The problem is that the right are wonderful at doing this shit, much better than the left that always seems to be one step behind when it comes to spinning a narrative (I say this as a liberal).

When I hear anyone saying it I replace "woke" with "Hi, I'm a raging racist/misogynist/homophobe et al". It is annoying because questioning a narrative isn't a problem in itself, but the word just negates any argument a person may have. It is in the same canon as "Brexit means Brexit", "politic correctness gone mad!", "I'm not racist but..." and "take back control". 

A cursory look at GB "News" makes my heart sink and I despair at where we are nowadays. "Woke Watch" and other BS pieces. 

We need a nuance conversation where people learn that they haven't got the monopoly on the truth, that there is nuance and at the same time that maybe people need to stop taking everything so damn personally. This good/bad, right/wrong nonsense is eroding conversation and its so harmful. 

• Paid Members
On 4/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, King Coconut said:

There's a Black Cock Inn in Caerphilly. That refers to a chicken though, so that's ok.

There’s one in Caernarfon too (well, at least was about 5 years ago when I went on a trip to Wales). The name definitely wasn’t based on a chicken or Charles from their signage. 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Michael_3165 said:

I hate the term "woke".

Firstly it means NOTHING at all. It used to have some meaning (awareness of injustice and inequality etc) but as with most things it has been hijacked by the right and turned into some sort of insult. The problem is that the right are wonderful at doing this shit, much better than the left that always seems to be one step behind when it comes to spinning a narrative (I say this as a liberal).

When I hear anyone saying it I replace "woke" with "Hi, I'm a raging racist/misogynist/homophobe et al". It is annoying because questioning a narrative isn't a problem in itself, but the word just negates any argument a person may have. It is in the same canon as "Brexit means Brexit", "politic correctness gone mad!", "I'm not racist but..." and "take back control". 

A cursory look at GB "News" makes my heart sink and I despair at where we are nowadays. "Woke Watch" and other BS pieces. 

We need a nuance conversation where people learn that they haven't got the monopoly on the truth, that there is nuance and at the same time that maybe people need to stop taking everything so damn personally. This good/bad, right/wrong nonsense is eroding conversation and its so harmful. 

I've also noticed a nasty reintroduction of the phrase Autistic as an insult by right wing posters on certain newspaper or football sites.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

I've also noticed a nasty reintroduction of the phrase Autistic as an insult by right wing posters on certain newspaper or football sites.

I don't think that ever went away. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today on twitter, anti racism campaigner Mukhtar said Laurence Fox was a racist piece of shit. Lobber did the. “You have until 5 to apologise or expect my lawyers to be in touch”. After an exchange of tweets, this was his reply. 

On 4/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Hugh Thesz said:

It's weird because many people w autism are now wanting to use the word autistic. 

What is the matter w these bullying fucktards? (EDIT: Not autistic people!)

Edited by Michael_3165