I think Vince and Johnny Ace might be problematic, lads.

IANdrewDiceClay

1 hour ago, Marc Ambush Solo said:

Why? You just have to keep in mind that the majority of the people who attend the WWE shows (besides being kids) just aren't as aware about what's going on behind the scenes,

If this was 10-15 years ago I’d tend to agree.

But this isn’t just a story posted on dirt sheets. This story has been in mainstream news sites, and on WWE’s own social media and websites. You’re telling me those in the audience didn’t check either of those yesterday?

• Paid Members

I also disagree with the idea that the audience at a live TV show are less likely to follow this stuff; the price of tickets for live WWE TV shows means that anyone in a good seat and visible on TV is far more likely to skew toward "hardcore" fans.

And if they're hardcore fans still buying expensive tickets in 2022 then it's because they've forgiven him everything else that's come before, and consider their personal enjoyment of the WWE brand more important than any real-life factors surrounding it. So it's definitely not surprising that they'd cheer when Uncle Vince comes out for a spot of "you and me against the world" manipulation.

• Paid Members

Wrestling fans I've noticed, more than anyone, are quite happy to leave their moral compass at home when it comes to their favourite wrestlers or promotions. They're happy to use it to shout down a wrestler or promotion they don't like, but conveniently turn a blind eye when it suits them.

I know the same applies with most things (in other fandoms, football team supporters and also political stances) but I've seen it worse with wrestling fans. They really can be abhorrent.

I also think there’s a bigger population of people than you think who find all sex related issues a ‘private matter’.

As much as I love my mother dearly, I know full well her 70-year-old opinion on this would be to laugh, joke about how Vince was lucky to still be on the go and explain the money away as being good for the girl, who made the decision in the first place.

Complicated power dynamics can be hard to explain to people that lived for decades in a world where the discussion/understanding didn’t exist, and gross sexual habits were the funny proclivities of the rich.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

36 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wrestling fans I've noticed, more than anyone, are quite happy to leave their moral compass at home when it comes to their favourite wrestlers or promotions. They're happy to use it to shout down a wrestler or promotion they don't like, but conveniently turn a blind eye when it suits them.

I know the same applies with most things (in other fandoms, football team supporters and also political stances) but I've seen it worse with wrestling fans. They really can be abhorrent.

Totally. The entitlement is something else as well. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Totally. The entitlement is something else as well. 

Absolutely. Other fandoms are almost up there with wrestling fans in this respect (Star Wars especially, Marvel to a much lesser extent from what I see).

There's no other medium that presents their talent the way WWE do, either, which I think plays into the entitlement. Fans have been told countless times down through the years that the stars bodies more or less belong to them. That they live and breath solely to entertain you. You don't get that with Marvel, generally speaking. There's still this line - no matter how often creeps cross it - that dictates that the actors are just doing their jobs and playing a role for a big payday. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

There's no other medium that presents their talent the way WWE do, either, which I think plays into the entitlement. 

Yeah that’s a fair point. The worst extremes of this behaviour I’ve seen is fans of the TV show Supernatural. Fucking hell they’re mental. 

4 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Yes, they've gotten so deep into the Dean/castiel story they invented that they convinced themselves the actors are fucking.

And then there’s the whole queer baiting. 

I believe the same thing happened to Adam Driver and his wive! Reylo fans who send messages to Driver's wive she didn't deserve him, wasn't handsome enough, and Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley should be together because they worshiped Rey & Kylo in Star Wars... Some fans are totally out of their mins and shouldn't be allowed to post on the Internet!