Perfect film performances

gmoney

• Paid Members

1. Mr T as Clubber Lang in Rocky III.

Clubber-640x373.jpg

"I'm the champion of the world, and nothing can be done about that. I can't be beat. I'm gonna crucify him. Real bad. 

I'm not sure there's been a major film debut as perfect as this before or since. Every second of screen time he's got he's being as entertaining and threatening as he could possibly be. He is in incredible shape, he's got feathers hanging from his ears, he's got a mohawk, he's asking Rocky's wife if she wants to get with a real man. Every single thing he says is funny and amazingly delivered. He's the best wrestling heel there never was. This rightly made him a megastar, no one could have done this role better.

What film performances make you go "fuck my hat, there's no topping that."

One of my favourite performances is Samuel L Jackson as Gator in Jungle Fever. 

Not only is Spike probably my favourite film maker ever, in this role, Jackson absolutely makes you believe every single scene he is in.

Not long out of rehab himself for addiction, so you are watching a recovering addict play a "crackhead" almost in real time, and whilst it might be fortuitous that this role came at that time, it's still an incredible performance. His eyes are so sad, it makes me weepy just writing this. 

Also, Jack Lemmon in Glengarry Glen Ross. My god, what an actor. 

• Paid Members

It's George C. Scott in 12 Angry Men for me. It helps he was one of the greatest actors of all time but in the context of one of the great films and in such an outstanding cast, he stands out as taking his character on a journey and selling that change beautifully.

Robin Williams and JT Walsh in Good Morning Vietnam. JT Walsh is a glorious bastard in most things. 

Jim Carrey in the Truman Show (Special Mention: Ed Harris) 

Robert Redford in Sneakers, effortless and a massively underrated film. 

• Paid Members

the one that immediately springs to mind is this:

Chigurh.thumb.jpg.d4e100cd29bb0fabda5249ad12e43d13.jpg

its one of those performances where you completely forget about the actor thats playing the role. What a horrible bastard.