Perfect film performances

gmoney

• Awards Moderator

Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally.

The film itself is pretty much perfect, but his turn is incredible. Cynical, nihilistic and sarcastic, in a love story? That role would have gone tits up in anyone else’s shoes.

I don’t think any other actor around at the time could have created that character and delivered it with such conviction and warmth.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's George C. Scott in 12 Angry Men for me. It helps he was one of the greatest actors of all time but in the context of one of the great films and in such an outstanding cast, he stands out as taking his character on a journey and selling that change beautifully.

Wait, I've just clocked you mean the 97 version which I've never seen. I'd argue Lee J Cobb in the original is pretty perfect. 

• Paid Members
Just now, gmoney said:

Wait, I've just clocked you mean the 97 version which I've never seen. I'd argue Lee J Cobb in the original is pretty perfect. 

I didn't, I ballsed up! I did mean Lee J. Cobb. Got confused because of reading about the remake and seeing Scott in The Hospital the other day.

• Awards Moderator
18 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Paul Newman is ace as Henry Gondorff, but really it's Robert Shaw as Doyle Lonegan who owns The Sting.

Steals the show from Bruce in Jaws too. I don't trust Quint an inch but he's the only one I'd want to be out on the water with. 

captain-quint-jaws-robert-shaw.thumb.jpg.c8a24fcbdb9975a98d3478b2d77e5bc7.jpg

• Paid Members

Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. I went into that film blind and let out an audible "OH FUCK OFF" when the closing credits noted him for his portrayal of Les Grossman. Anytime an actor can lose their real life identity in the role, especially an A-lister, gets a massive nod from myself. That's probably why I don't rate DiCaprio as highly as everyone else, as whenever I watch a film of his I'm well aware that it's just Ol'Leo putting on an accent in a silly hat.

• Paid Members

Came in to post what Heimlich did.

"I know...let's have a spelling contest..." is one of my favourite lines in movie history. 

But now that's already been did, I'd have to say that Anthony Michael Hall in Weird Science is probably the perfect  performance given what was required of the character. 

Honestly, when people ask me why I think he's just so good in that movie I don't have an answer, just that to me, he is perfect.