A Slice of The UKFF

FLips

• Paid Members

Christmas day I got involved in a surprisingly passionate disagreement at a family meal. Well, games post food.

We played a game called Herd Mentality, where the point was to guess the most popular answer from all the players in the room.

The question that split was 'What's the best pizza topping'.

I said 'cheese'. That was the most popular answer. But, this led to the debate on if it counts as a topping.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Christmas day I got involved in a surprisingly passionate disagreement at a family meal. Well, games post food.

We played a game called Herd Mentality, where the point was to guess the most popular answer from all the players in the room.

The question that split was 'What's the best pizza topping'.

I said 'cheese'. That was the most popular answer. But, this led to the debate on if it counts as a topping.

A Pizza is a dough base. Anything put on that. is a topping. The traditional Pizza Marinara, thought to be the original dish, has tomato sauce, garlic, olive oil and origano/basil.

• Paid Members

Possibly turning this thread on its head but can we talk about less appealing pizzas? 

I'm quite happy to eat mushrooms on a pizza, but I've always felt a bit sick when my eyes catch hold of this at the supermarket 

Screenshot_20220309-115614_Chrome.jpg.5643a6b98682f9b67d9c2f05eb8bc7d5.jpg

I've always found 'Dr. Oetker' to be a strange name attached to foods and combined with picture and the word 'Funghi' it's enough to get me doing a William Regal disgusted face. 

I'm a bit weird though. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

pineapple and gherkins

You filthy bugger.  I'd actually really like to try that combination but there's no way Mrs Loki would go near it, or me, and I suspect you and I are in a minority here as regards pineapple.

• Paid Members

My go to over here is the Sarda, the local pizza - spicy sausage, olives and cheese. Unsurprising really but there's a pizzeria in the town that does the best pizza I've ever had. I've no idea what wizardry is behind it but the way they do the cheese is beyond sublime. I'm also occasionally partial to a Romana which is pizza topped with anchovies and capers but I also do a bonus topping of tuna. Although, while fish on a pizza is still seen as a bit weird here, it's more of a peculiar individual quirk than the blasphemous war crimes against Italian cuisine like how pineapple toppings are viewed. Aubergines are very popular here and my girlfriend usually has pizza with that on it, much to my dismay.

I've only had the big chains at home - Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John's very occasionally as my town never had any of those. Honestly though, you can't beat a cheap,greasy pizza from the chippy on a Saturday night. Supermarket pizza-wise, I'd always go for the stuffed crust pepperoni from the Co-Op. Something so delightfully indulgent about a pizza stuffed with yet more cheese. 

• Paid Members

I don't really have a go-to when it comes to pizza. I like trying different things so will just pick one at random and 95% of the time I enjoy it.

This does backfire when you get an atrocity of a pizza arrive though. Like the time I ordered a 'Swedish pizza' from some cheap local delivery place and it came with boiled potatoes as a topping.

• Paid Members

The takeaway near casa Jazzy does a nice Mexican Hot pizza with jalepenos, keema and a spicy sauce which is alright, but never hit enough for me.

There's a Nisa/Co-op next door to it and at the moment they have a offer where you can get two pizzas and two packets of home fry chips for a fiver, which is pretty good value given that the pizzas are £5.50 a pop. There's a choice between a five cheese (mozzarella, mild cheddar, mature cheedar, red Leicester, monterrey Jack) and a cheeseburger topping, which has got chopped up burger, gherkin and onion. It was a good one. 

I tend to prefer a supermarket pizza to a takeaway one as they've usually got a thinner base and I can make sure they've got a nice crunch when I cook them in the oven at home, but if I'm on an early finish on a Friday at work I order Pizza Hut collection when I leave and it's ready to collect from the branch near home just as I'm getting there. I usually go for the spicy Beyond meatballs if I'm on that one. 

When I lived in sunny Burnagé there was a place called Pizza Perfect near home (just down the road from Sifter's record shop that those Gallagher boys used to frequent in their youths) that did a delicious margarita. When it's done well, it's probably my favourite topping because it's nice and simple.

1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Possibly turning this thread on its head but can we talk about less appealing pizzas? 

I'm quite happy to eat mushrooms on a pizza, but I've always felt a bit sick when my eyes catch hold of this at the supermarket 

Screenshot_20220309-115614_Chrome.jpg.5643a6b98682f9b67d9c2f05eb8bc7d5.jpg

I've always found 'Dr. Oetker' to be a strange name attached to foods and combined with picture and the word 'Funghi' it's enough to get me doing a William Regal disgusted face. 

I'm a bit weird though. 

I used to be addicted to the Dr Oetker chicken one, but thinking about having one now makes me feel a bit ill.

We’ve had a Fireaway Pizza open near us and they’re really great, we choose our own (fairly generic) pizza with chicken, peppers, onions, bacon and spinach but it’s always excellently cooked, not too greasy and crispy base. 

• Paid Members

I like Oetker pizzas - they're nothing amazing, but they're a good beer-and-movie-night-in dinner. Not massive on the chicken one, but I rather like the mushroom and the pepperoni ones. My local Iceland usually does three for a fiver.

Obviously, if I have the cash and want to go for delivery, there are a couple of nice local places with wood-fired ovens. I like the usual ones, like pepperoni, sausage, ham, mushroom, chilli, red onion, etc., but I also like anchovies and artichokes.

Not a fan of pineapple - I don't think it's some heresy or anything, I just think it's too sweet a fruit </nwo> to go with tomato sauce, which is usually sweet enough. And pineapple on a pizza with BBQ sauce? Fuck that. I have a ridiculous sweet tooth, but that's too much for a savoury dish.

• Paid Members

Yeah we've had a Fireaway open near us and it's lovely, nice to be able to get a fresh pizza delivered that's more like one you'd sit down to in a restaurant. When it's almost midnight and I just want to fill my face though I find myself landing on the Papa Johns site - a respectable medium pizza with four cheeses (no idea which ones) and some sausage and pepperoni along with a light side of an entire box of Marmite & Cheese scrolls is the reason I weigh so much these days.

• Paid Members

Lidl's cheap frozen pizzas are decent as far as frozen supermarket pizzas go. In terms of fresh supermarket pizza though Tesco do a cracking meal deal where you get two 12" Pizzas, two sides (Garlic Bread, Potato Skins, Chicken Tenders, Chocolate Fudge Cake, etc) and a stack of dips for a tenner. Really bloody nice it is, though the garlic dip is shite.

Tried a seafood pizza once and it knocked us sick after a slice. As someone who swears by pineapple on pizza, seafood barring Tuna is rotten on it.

spacer.png

This is my go to if we're going with supermarket frozen pizza brands. A decent base, plenty of room for you to add your own toppings and if you're in critical hangover condition the base pizza on its own doesn't taste too shabby at all either with a big glass of coke. 

We love making our own cheese pizzas too. I say 'make our own', we do buy the bases ourselves because if there's one thing I'm worse at than pitching a tent (try not to immediately open Out of Context UKFF on another tab, looking at you @SuperBacon) it's stretching my own pizza dough. My hands just cut through it and I wind up looking like I've been renovating with Polyfilla. 

Pre made base, tomato sauce, then usually it's a vintage white and red, fresh mozzarella, a few lumps of blue cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan once it's done. Nothing else needed. 

Depends on the kind of pizza I'm wanting. Some days, all I want is a pizza made in a fried chicken shop. Heavy with grease, four toppings, 15" for £8.50. Normally I'd get ham, mushroom, pepperoni, extra cheese.

When I'm not being a degenerate, I like a parma ham, buffalo mozzerella, mushrooms, bit of olive oil on top. Nice.