A Slice of The UKFF

FLips

• Paid Members

As a team-building thing recently, we went to Pizza Express, who do a 'pizza making party' thing. Got given the dough and a selection of toppings etc - silly more than anything, but it was pretty satisfying.

20220222_190026.thumb.jpg.ad3f0a23950f1d5cd97a06dfbcff381a.jpg

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

I remember my old manager at work ordered a Domino's in for everybody one Saturday when we were having a stocktake. I asked for cheese & tomato, everybody then says "are you sure that's what you want?" and then kept trying to pinch a slice because it was so nice. 

• Paid Members

Promised I wouldn’t but…

I’m dead boring and just take a combination of meats then depending on mood, onion, bell peppers and/or jalapeños. Depends where I’m buying from if it’s a delivery - Domino’s is about the only pizza I’ve ever eaten where I’m not fond of the tomato sauce so switch it to BBQ, but I love their meatballs. Papa Johns has a nice spicy pork although I’m not keen on giving them business because (Jerry Jarrett voice) well you know. Thankfully Mrs raid has stopped asking for it since our nearest stopped offering cheesy tots with bacon.

Eating out its anything with Nduja or chorizo or anything with Pepperdew peppers or their baby equivalent. Although I did have a Peking Duck type at Croma a million years ago and tandoori chicken/curry sauce/coriander confusion at (IIRC) Pizza Express once and I’m ashamed to say I enjoyed them both. Crazy Pedros (if you know, you know) chicken and waffles is incredible too. Yes, maple syrup included. Sounds grim, tastes great. Back at Aber Uni I was reasonably addicted to pizzas from the Nos Da van, alternating between Penmaenmawr which was chicken, onions and peppers, and when particularly smashed, the Breakfast (no egg) - sausage and bacon on a beans base. I usually hate beans but on the pizza with mozzarella and a herby sprinkle they were lovely.

When I was younger I used to love making pizzas with my mum. She’s use ready made bases and weirdly I used to like a base made with tomato purée so it ended up sticky, dry or even burning slightly at the edges, for reasons unknown today. We’d pile toppings high with about 4-5 different salami, pepperoni, German peppered or garlic sausage from Somerfields deli counter, sliced pepperami, nearly-cooked bacon and sliced Richmond sausage, a few part-fried onion slices, til it was about an inch tall. The bit you’ll all balk at is we’d usually throw some sliced apple in too, and I’m telling you the sweetness goes so nice with the salty meats. Then grate a ton of mature cheddar on (scandal, I know) and a sprinkle of mixed herbs then in the oven until a golden brown most of you would call over cooked. There was something about a crisp of cheese with a sweet apple underneath and oregano in the background that I always miss when I think about living at home. Today with Mrs raid we make our own dough with a light dusting of semolina, sauce of passata cooked down with garlic powder and basil, thinly topped with salami and pepperoni and mozzarella on top. Best part, we usually make up some garlic sauce for the crusts from a packet mix from the Polish shop, and it’s amazing.

As a reformed fatty I also have a storied history with frozen pizza. As a kid, McCain used to make this little pizzas that came in a cheese and onion with a white sauce base, and maybe it was how sweet the onions were but I absolutely loved them. More recently (I want to say Lidl) somewhere used to do an “inferno” that my mum would bring home that had little pickled yellow chilli slices on, they were awesome.

Finally I have a soft spot for the cheap and cheerful takeaway places. The one near my mum where they do a chicken tikka stuffed crust, and all the ones round here that are exactly the same. They all have the exact same taste from their cheese, base and pepperoni, the same julienne strips of processed ham that can be crispy edged but mushy inside, and they will always put donner meat on your pizza. But however nice the donner meat tastes, you’ll never order it as your main meal because it will come with fries, and that’s not what you really want.

So the moral for those of you that read this far is ; you can get donner meat on your pizza, but never order donner meat from a pizza place. Order it with proper chips, from a proper chippy.

• Paid Members

There used to be (or possibly still is, I've not been in a good while) a takeaway near the bridge to Sheppey that was owned by an Asian family, and did pizzas with all manner of tandooris,  tikkas and other flavoured meats on top of their pizzas, and they were fantastic.

Even better was that because we were regulars, they'd do us any 14" pizza for ÂŁ3.50. What a wonderful time that was.