Best And Worst Fandoms

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Nick James said:

Over the course of the pandemic, I've really gotten into watching and following eSports, in particular the Call of Duty League and it's safe to say the fanbases of the teams could give football fans a run for their money for toxicity. .

I used to watch and play a lot of League of Legends and that is easily the most toxic fanbase I've ever come across. Just so much antagonism and bile across the group.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, WeeAl said:

Try asking one of this group of fans why they are going into a child's film without a child.

And this garners an unpleasant reaction, you say? How bizarre.

• Paid Members

All of them. Every fandom is home to morons who preface something that conflicts with their subjective opinion with the phrase “Imagine thinking that”.

The biggest toy-throwers from what I’ve seen in terms of “you can’t do that” and exposing their prejudices are Whovians and Bond fans. The biggest gatekeepers seem to be in metal.

The biggest argumentative dickheads are definitely Star Wars fans. I thought TLJ was badly booked too, and I’ve said my piece once (on here) but I’ve got no interest in going back and forth with a stranger on Twitter trying to change their minds, but thousands of them do, at length, in both directions. Life’s too short. People disagree. Go watch Force again and have a nap, Gavin.

• Paid Members

Not a fandom but more of a hobby, I've found the online communities around the hacking of consumer electronics to be incredibly friendly and helpful. Occasionally you'll ask a question and some knob will huff "please refer to the pinned Q&A" but they're just in a mood because they're the one who tirelessly wrote the Q&A. In fact most online forums based around the high seas tend to be made up of lovely folk steering you in the right direction.

As far as the worst? Wrestling. I mean, c'mon you've got everything. Toxic negativity, toxic positivity, concern trolling, doxxing, racism, misogyny, sexism, homophobia, suicide baiting, nonces, perverts, abusers and people who watch AEW DARK: ELEVATION.

Edited by Accident Prone
Grammar

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Metal absolutely has a shitload of gatekeeper knobheads, but like with most other fandoms they’re the ones who just take “being a metal head” to the point of that actually being their identity far too seriously and probably are not representative of the fandom as a whole.

This is it, really, and I think there's an inverse correlation between those who invest so much of their identity into being a "metalhead" and how much they've actually explored the genre. While there's no doubt that you get your dickhead gatekeepers in the sub-sub-sub genres of black metal, doom and drone, and what have you, but the fixation on the genre of music as an identity, and as something that marks them out as special or rebellious for listening to it tends to be stronger in my experience among people who never grew out of the 2002 Kerrang! playlist. I've talked about it a lot on here, but I used to be a rock and metal DJ and by and large I found the people who most fervently clung to "heavy metal fan" as an identity were those with only a pretty surface level appreciation of the genre, whereas those who were deep into all the obscure underground scenes and sub-genres were a lot more good humoured about it. Obviously there's some black metal weirdo outliers, but they're the real isolated cases.

Outside of all that, fandoms in general are just toxic. It's as @WyattSheepMask said, the moment it becomes part of someone's identity, that's a red flag for me. I can't imagine using some of the characters in my Twitter bio to say that I'm a fan of a particular person or piece of media, unless they were paying me to do so. I don't think it's healthy to invest that much of your identity in the idea of being a fan of something, and I think it reflects pretty poorly on you that the most interesting thing you can think to say of yourself is what media you choose to consume.

On the positive side of it, with people mentioning Harry Potter - I don't get it, it's a children's book, and not a very good one, and I find it baffling that I thought I was too old for it when the first book came out, yet people older than me are running round with Harry Potter tattoos talking about whether they're a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor - I have to admit that apart from that stulted adolescence aspect of it, I can't think of many, if any, of that fandom that I would consider overtly offensive, which is impressive considering J.K. Rowling's track record. They seem to have done a better job than most of navigating the idea of separating art from artist. 

It reminds me of an old Channel 4 documentary that I only vaguely remember, about online communities. They talked to people on Discworld and Harry Potter forums, and asked them what attracted them, and said that it didn't matter who the other people were in terms of age, gender, race, or any other demographic, they were all there to discuss the same thing, and that was all that mattered. I think were social media fandom has skewed that and turned it into something far more negative is that these discussions aren't happening under discreet usernames on separate forums any more, but all in one or two places, and all far more intrinsically tied to a single identity, and with that, it's harder to recognise whether someone is engaging in good faith, or just jumping on an issue. Taking the Doctor Who discussion for example, would we see as many people kicking off about a female Doctor, gay companions and ethnic minorities in Doctor Who if it were just a relatively closed community of Doctor Who fans discussing it, compared to having an open door for people with zero investment in the series to wade in and see an opportunity to get on their pre-existing racist and sexist soapbox?

• Paid Members

Piggybacking on that, a thing with forums vs social media is permanence of information. There's a history to conversations on forums that's easily accessible and almost expected for you to engage with, you don't have to have the same conversations establishing a baseline level of understanding because as a new poster you'll be encouraged to go back and read them instead of starting a whole new thread.

Some subreddits try to deal with this by pinned FAQ's but I still find it impossible to care about them because the impermanence of the 'front page' means the same conversations get recycled every couple of months - on Twitter it's even worse. Conversations around fandoms can't grow and evolve because you just have the same basic shit being repeated and disseminated & debated because the number of people coming in from the outside is greater than the number inside, or you close off to those people and become ever more insular.

TL;DR: old man yells at cloud, but forums are way better for fostering real communities than any more modern social media attempts (reddit, Discord, Twitter etc.)

6 hours ago, Duke said:

I used to watch and play a lot of League of Legends and that is easily the most toxic fanbase I've ever come across. Just so much antagonism and bile across the group.

Oh two of my housemates played this a lot and the conversations in the garden having a smoke sounded tedious and the culture seemed horrible. Lots of calling each other the R word. Yuck. 

Not sure if it's all K-pop as mentioned but BTS seems to have some right militant nutters in their ranks. Don't dare say anything against the band, even that they are "not your cup of tea but others are welcome to enjoy them" and you'll be fucking strung up online if they can find you. 

Athough I think he is a twat, the fans went after James Corden for mentioning how it was "unusual" for the K-pop band to be at a UN summit in such a strong way you'd have thought they were there every week and Corden had no idea. 

In a lesser known story from Vietnam a few years ago a teenage boy got fed up with the fandom from his classmates and set up a BTS trollg group. Harmless stuff by all accounts just calling them talentless shites and the like to get a rise out if people. His classmates among other local diehards apparently petitioned the school to make him stand in an assembly and issue a formal apology. That might also be partly about society here which I'll leave alone but has always struck me as absolutely toxic. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

On the positive side of it, with people mentioning Harry Potter - I don't get it, it's a children's book, and not a very good one, and I find it baffling that I thought I was too old for it when the first book came out, yet people older than me are running round with Harry Potter tattoos talking about whether they're a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor

Such a Slytherin thing to say.

18 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Tool fans?

Fans of the metal band Tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comments/91cixq/why_i_hate_tool_fans_by_a_tool_fan/

https://rateyourmusic.com/discussion/music/tool-fans-are-the-worst/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comments/20hzg0/why_does_everyone_fucking_hate_tool_fans/

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tool-4-1204846

Tool frontman explains why he called his own fans ‘insufferable retards’

Maynard James Keenan says only 'fanatics are insufferable'

Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan has clarified his previous comments he made stating that his own fans are “insufferable retards”.

Keenan defended himself by saying that his insults were aimed only at the “fanatics” who follow his band.”

Edited by RancidPunx

Considering some of the prices Tool charge to watch old wine gums wear wigs and sing in the dark under videos of the salvia trips I had when I was sixteen, I'd say him and his fanatics deserve each other. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK