Best And Worst Fandoms

Keith Houchen

7 minutes ago, gmoney said:

A mate of mine put on twitter that he thought the below picture of Louis Tomlinson from One Direction made him look like he chipped Playstations for a living and was harassed for about a week from irate OD fans.  

A mate of mine tweeted Ricky Gervais asking him if he thought it was hypocritical to make a film where he invents heaven considering he’s a atheist. An incredibly stupid question that my mate still insists was took wrong as Ricky Gervais retweeted him and set his followers upon him resulting in relentless piss taking and my mate having to delete his Twitter. Best thing Gervais has done since The Office.

Johnny Depp fans are another bad one. Try and explain to them that he lost his libel case because he did hit Amber Heard. Sure, it may have been in self defence and it was a toxic relationship on both sides, but they can’t (or won’t) grasp the fact that even if he hit her because she was hitting him, he still hit her. Plus he’s a right arsehole anyway who paid off previous women who said he hit them too. Oh no no no. Much like Jacko he only did it to try and put an end to the aggro. 

As evidenced by my username, I'm an unashamed Frank turner fanboy, travelled all over the world to see him, about to hit my 50th gig etc, but some of his fans are fucking atrocious. Like they will absolutely destroy you for having even a slightly negative opinion on him, using be more kind as some kind of shitty shield that means you can't criticise him while basically cyber bullying you. It's actually insane.

3 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

As evidenced by my username, I'm an unashamed Frank turner fanboy, travelled all over the world to see him, about to hit my 50th gig etc, but some of his fans are fucking atrocious. Like they will absolutely destroy you for having even a slightly negative opinion on him, using be more kind as some kind of shitty shield that means you can't criticise him while basically cyber bullying you. It's actually insane.

I’ve noticed a sure fire way to wind them up is to say how you preferred his stuff when he was in Gallows. 

• Moderators

I feel like generally all fandoms of anything all descend into toxic cesspits. Whether that is sports/film/music/politics its all a race towards "I love <x> more than you". I was just thinking of this as its SuperBowl weekend in the US which means social media will get filled full of morons destroying their TVs depending on what team loses and it made me think that you rarely see the actual athletes getting being that level of upset and that there is no way as a fan you could ever try and say "yeah well it means more to me than them" - you haven't spent years of your life endlessly training and working towards that goal, you're literally just sitting there watching so any act like smashing your TV set up clearly is just that...an act.

• Paid Members

Marvel fans. I must be on an island by myself, since we're two pages in. Not the kids, of course. It's supposed to be for them and they should enjoy the capes and spandex.

The ones that bang on about the box office that the latest release did. So pretty much like a super blown up nerd version of wrestling fans. Which is fair enough if you tried to avoid anyone knowing that you liked it because it's weird - like the few half way sane wrestling fans that you might find. However this fandom love telling everyone about it and they are everywhere you turn. 

Try asking one of this group of fans why they are going into a child's film without a child. Or do they know why Del Boy was the best Batman. They'll pull their web gun out of their back pocket quicker than Disney can buy up the world's last three cinema screens. 

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sport doesn’t count

34 minutes ago, neil said:

I was just thinking of this as its SuperBowl weekend in the US which means social media will get filled full of morons destroying their TVs depending on what team loses 

@WeeAlYep, actually this bozo is a contender for Mount Rushmoron 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

There’s a very wholesome and supportive dads group based around the wonderful Aussie import ‘Bluey’ on CBeebies. For the uninitiated, the show is about a family of anthropomorphic dogs who live in Brisbane, and generally focuses around the two daughters Bluey and Bingo. However Bandit, the dad, has become a breakout star thanks to being the sort of parent most of us aspire to be, and so the show seems to have really resonated with fathers of children of a certain age. Somehow, a Facebook group full of predominately middle-aged men has become a very positive space overall.

(Incidentally, if you have kids of around age 0-7, I’d highly recommend Bluey… or even if you don’t)

Yeah the Bluey fandom seems to be great. There is a podcast my wife listens to in the car called Gotta Be Done with two mums reviewing the episodes and they even get members of the show on. It’s really wholesome 

I can understand fandom of sports, creative endeavours, things that have a deep personal relationship to people. It’s mostly stupid but I get and am part of it. What I can’t get on board with is corporate fandom. It’s a stones throw away from top level sports fandom in fairness but I don’t see how people can be invested in Bezos vs Musk, a PlayStation vs Microsoft arms race or Disney vs Netflix. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Kpop fans seem fucking insane from bits and pieces I've read. 

Kpop fans do a great service to the world though. Whenever something shit is trending on Twitter (I can't think of an example, but say something like #StopTheSteal or racist campaigning), they hijack the hashtag in huge numbers with clips of Kpop artists to keep shitty tweets at bay. Godspeed, Kpoppers.

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Although I’m not a fan, Harry Potter seems a really nice fandom.

That's a really good shout, every huge Harry Potter fan I know (including my wife and daughter) don't appear to be self entitled, pedantic or snobbish. They're a wholesome bunch.

I wonder if that's because the majority of their fans are women, rather than small-willied men that feel the world owes them everything because they bought a load of Star Wars figures in the 80s 🤔

31 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

PlayStation vs Microsoft

This is second worst fandom feud on the internet for me, second only to the fucking tiresome and pathetic Ronaldo VS Messi fandom feud (which I obviously won't go into as it's football- but fuck me it's the worst). They're both decent bits of kit, who gives a fuck which one you own and what you think of the other one.

But really the worst fandom is wrestling.

Edited by PunkStep

59 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That's a really good shout, every huge Harry Potter fan I know (including my wife and daughter) don't appear to be self entitled, pedantic or snobbish. They're a wholesome bunch.

Another thing about Potter is you had all these kids and none of them turned out wronguns, damaged by fame at an early age and descending into a drug hell that I could only dream of. Seems decent enough!

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Kpop fans do a great service to the world though. Whenever something shit is trending on Twitter (I can't think of an example, but say something like #StopTheSteal or racist campaigning), they hijack the hashtag in huge numbers with clips of Kpop artists to keep shitty tweets at bay. Godspeed, Kpoppers.

Yes the casual kpop fans seem harmless but there is a hardcore section of all the big Kpop groups in South Korea who are completely bonkers though. They are called Sasaeng fans in Korean. Link and short quote

https://meaww.com/k-pops-sasaeng-problem-how-obsessed-fans-are-wreaking-havoc-in-the-private-lives-of-idols

Sasaeng fans are generally females and are usually between the ages of 13 and 22, and who in order to get the attention of celebrities, engage in behaviors that can border on the criminal in some cases. Examples of such behavior include finding celebrities’ private addresses, the location of their dorm rooms or homes, stealing their personal belongings or information, harassing their family members, bullying their partners as well as fabricating scenes to show that they are dating idols to defame them.

And some examples https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/10/10-scariest-sasaeng-stories

Including this 

Taecyeon of 2PM once received what we deem as the act of the world's scariest sasaeng. Rather than write a heartfelt and kind note to their favorite idol, this 'fan' opted to write her words to him in her period blood. The note said: "I dedicate to Taecyeon my period blood-letter. Ok Taecyeon, you cannot live without me. Sprinkled with a few strands of my pubes." Eventually, the sasaeng received so much hate for her grotesque act that she publicly apologized.

Alot of the record labels there seemingly do fuck all to stop them as these are the madheads who buy 50 copies of an album and stream everything 12 hours a day so it charts better.