Paid Members Gus Mears Posted September 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 11, 2024 (edited) It's February outside so I've decided to treat myself to Multi Pie Madness. I'm going to eat a steak and kidney for dinner and follow it up with apple for a balanced pie-based meal. Edited September 11, 2024 by Gus Mears Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted September 13, 2024 Posted September 13, 2024 The forum had a little blip for me this morning, but at least Hangman was there to ease the pain. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 16, 2024 Members Posted September 16, 2024 Cheers me up no end that we have a football pitch right behind our houses and my 11yo wants to play until she can no longer see the ball. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted September 16, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 16, 2024 College starts again tomorrow, and the group chat we set up last year has been messaging each other all day talking about how excited we all are to see each other after the summer. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 22, 2024 Members Posted September 22, 2024 Very grateful the ex and I get on so well The key is to get the kids to sew the seeds early with the food, then swoop in. Quote
Awards Moderator Frankie Crisp Posted September 28, 2024 Awards Moderator Posted September 28, 2024 (edited) Went to The Royal Albert Hall with my stepdad last night, to watch the world premiere of Top Gun: Maverick with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing the score. It was a Christmas present from last year, but worth the wait as the first Top Gun is my stepdad’s favourite film. More importantly, it was the film that helped us bond when he moved in with us in 1990, when I was a cripplingly shy kid and this was one of the few things that I got animated about every time we watched it. My stepdad is one of the nicest human beings alive and we really won the lottery when he came into our lives, as he’s done nothing but love and support my Mum through some really tough times and I don’t know if he’ll ever know what he means to me. We knew it was going to be a special night simply because the film is incredible and the orchestra and setting would put the top hat on it, so we were buzzing all the way there. As we got to our seats, the conductor bloke gave his little welcome speech and told us that - unbeknownst to anybody - Jerry Bruckheimer and Harold Faltermeyer were in attendance! The place erupted and I think it was then that we realised that this was a bloody big deal. My stepdad got a bit emotional, as it immediately felt like it was going to be a long-lasting dad and lad memory. He put his arm around me, thanked me, smiled and we settled in for the show to start. A small ripple of applause soon turned into gasps and cheers. Bottom right. Tom Cruise. Tom fucking Cruise just casually sauntered on to the stage. We were absolutely gobsmacked, as were the rest of the audience. Everyone was just looking at each other, in a proper ‘holy shit!’ way. My stepdad just couldn’t get his head around it. Nobody could. Once the shock dissipated and the performance started, I could tell he was still emotional and he couldn’t stop smiling for the next 2+ hours. He loves Tom Cruise films as much as me, and I love Tom Cruise films more than shark films, for context. The show itself was amazing and seeing/hearing the orchestra deliver the score is something I’m always going to struggle to describe, as it was a feeling that elevated the whole thing. Once it ended, my stepdad wiped a tear or two away and just kept thanking me, as we both knew this would be a moment we’ll share forever and it felt like our relationship came full circle from us watching the first film on a grainy VHS 34 years ago. I’m just made up and keep smiling about how much it means to the wonderful bloke. Top, top stuff. EDIT: after the shock of Cruise rocking up had sunk in and I got my head together, I immediately thought ‘wait until I tell @Devon Malcolm about this’. Edited September 28, 2024 by Frankie Crisp Quote
DavidB6937 Posted September 28, 2024 Posted September 28, 2024 Fucks sake. I wasn't even there and I want to cry now. Amazing. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted September 28, 2024 Posted September 28, 2024 Of all the moments for the local farmer to start ploughing his onion fields.....grrrr Amazing and definitely something I'd love to have known about. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 16yo had her annual school review on Tuesday. When she had her last one, she was really struggling. Her transport wasn't right and she was hating it, and at school they were still trying to persevere with getting her to work in peer groups. Fair to say this year's completely different. Back in April they finally sorted out her transport (she has her own taxi now) and she has her own classroom and section of the school. Everyone was commenting on how happy she is at school again and all the different independence and life skills they're teaching her, such as getting her to use the school shop and doing things like folding clothes and putting them on hangers. Of course, if I tried to get her to do that at home she'd look at me as if I'd lost my mind but even so. She's having a great time and it was a dead nice meeting to have. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: 16yo had her annual school review on Tuesday. When she had her last one, she was really struggling. Her transport wasn't right and she was hating it, and at school they were still trying to persevere with getting her to work in peer groups. Fair to say this year's completely different. Back in April they finally sorted out her transport (she has her own taxi now) and she has her own classroom and section of the school. Everyone was commenting on how happy she is at school again and all the different independence and life skills they're teaching her, such as getting her to use the school shop and doing things like folding clothes and putting them on hangers. Of course, if I tried to get her to do that at home she'd look at me as if I'd lost my mind but even so. She's having a great time and it was a dead nice meeting to have. You do an incredible job. Glad you've got some backup. ? Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: 16yo had her annual school review on Tuesday. When she had her last one, she was really struggling. Her transport wasn't right and she was hating it, and at school they were still trying to persevere with getting her to work in peer groups. Fair to say this year's completely different. Back in April they finally sorted out her transport (she has her own taxi now) and she has her own classroom and section of the school. Everyone was commenting on how happy she is at school again and all the different independence and life skills they're teaching her, such as getting her to use the school shop and doing things like folding clothes and putting them on hangers. Of course, if I tried to get her to do that at home she'd look at me as if I'd lost my mind but even so. She's having a great time and it was a dead nice meeting to have. Ah that's fucking amazing. There's so much to fight for and you constantly have to be on it but when it goes right it must give you a little bit of happiness and relief knowing it was worth it. I'm really happy for you and her! Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted October 11, 2024 Members Posted October 11, 2024 Gas engineer here for annual gas safety check. Offered him a brew, black coffee or one with oat milk (and not instant, a nice slow drip brew!) "Oat milk? Bit woke isn't it?" YEEESSSSS. Top start to the day. He will be getting a 10/10 feedback rating. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted October 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 11, 2024 10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Gas engineer here for annual gas safety check. Offered him a brew, black coffee or one with oat milk (and not instant, a nice slow drip brew!) "Oat milk? Bit woke isn't it?" YEEESSSSS. Top start to the day. He will be getting a 10/10 feedback rating. I had the same thing in the shop yesterday - some bloke picked up a bag of Wine Gums knock-offs and went 'vegan friendly? How woke". It's just a catch-all term for anything that idiots disagree with now. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted October 11, 2024 Moderators Posted October 11, 2024 35 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Gas engineer here for annual gas safety check. Offered him a brew, black coffee or one with oat milk (and not instant, a nice slow drip brew!) "Oat milk? Bit woke isn't it?" YEEESSSSS. Top start to the day. He will be getting a 10/10 feedback rating. Dairy intolerance? What's wrong with shitting yourself like a real man?! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.