Members SuperBacon Posted July 23, 2024 Members Posted July 23, 2024 I once got around £1900 when I was working at Waitrose and it coincided with me needing to get a deposit for a rental property, which was a touch. Got a massive curry as well. Now I work for a bloody employer that has the audacity to tax properly so those days are well over. This is stupid but getting my expenses cheers me up. I'm going to get about £100 this month, and even though I know its my money I've spent last month, to me its like "extra" wages ? Yes I'm simple. Quote
deathrey Posted July 23, 2024 Posted July 23, 2024 I know exactly what you mean @SuperBaconWe get 45p a mile when we drive anywhere and we've gotten our electric car, it costs me no where near that much to drive around so I feel like it's a little bonus pay. I know 45p a mile is crap, but it's a charity. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 23, 2024 Members Posted July 23, 2024 24 minutes ago, deathrey said: I know exactly what you mean @SuperBaconWe get 45p a mile when we drive anywhere and we've gotten our electric car, it costs me no where near that much to drive around so I feel like it's a little bonus pay. I know 45p a mile is crap, but it's a charity. Not much more in local government I can tell you! That's not too bad. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 23, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 23, 2024 I got £1200 back after I realised I'd been paying Basic Rate for twelve months. An amazing feeling; it's how I'd imagine it'd be like to find a gold bar down the back of the sofa. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 23, 2024 Members Posted July 23, 2024 26 minutes ago, Carbomb said: An amazing feeling; it's how I'd imagine it'd be like to find a gold bar down the back of the sofa. To be fair, they are nice chocolate biscuits. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 23, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 23, 2024 17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: To be fair, they are nice chocolate biscuits. They are nice, but not chocolate. Fight me. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 23, 2024 Members Posted July 23, 2024 14 minutes ago, Carbomb said: They are nice, but not chocolate. Fight me. No fight here, all love in the world of golden caramel. Quote
Hugh Thesz Posted July 23, 2024 Posted July 23, 2024 Funnily enough I opened an envelope this morning to find they owe me £404. Life is sweet. Quote
Tamura Posted July 23, 2024 Posted July 23, 2024 3 hours ago, gmoney said: Fucking golden to get communications like that. The last time I did was so long ago I had to go to the tax office in person to pick up a cheque. Fucking cheques. In the same post I also got a letter from TransPennine Express enclosing a cheque as payment for compensation for a cancelled train. I'm inclined to email them refusing to accept a cheque and demanding payment in legal tender. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 23, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 23, 2024 44 minutes ago, Hugh Thesz said: Funnily enough I opened an envelope this morning to find they owe me £404. Life is sweet. Sounds like an error Quote
AnotherCrapUsername Posted July 24, 2024 Posted July 24, 2024 Got a tax rebate last year of £800 odd quid. Booked a quick break away, got back from said break to find another letter. HMRC saying I owed them £132.00. Welcome back. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted July 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 24, 2024 10 hours ago, Tamura said: Fucking cheques. In the same post I also got a letter from TransPennine Express enclosing a cheque as payment for compensation for a cancelled train. I'm inclined to email them refusing to accept a cheque and demanding payment in legal tender. I got a couple of cheques as birthday money from the in-laws this year, and while obviously very happy to get some money, the sight of a cheque did prompt a bit of an exaggerated sigh while I tried to figure out where the nearest branch of my bank was and how and when I could get there. But it turns out that, at least with HSBC, you can scan them with your mobile app to pay them in to your account. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 24, 2024 Moderators Posted July 24, 2024 Yeah I think pretty much every bank let's you scan your cheques these days. It's one of those things that the technology existed for already and then all the banks rushed to build in to their apps during Covid. Quote
MungoChutney Posted July 24, 2024 Posted July 24, 2024 13 hours ago, deathrey said: I know exactly what you mean @SuperBaconWe get 45p a mile when we drive anywhere and we've gotten our electric car, it costs me no where near that much to drive around so I feel like it's a little bonus pay. I know 45p a mile is crap, but it's a charity. 45p per mile is the maximum you can be paid for mileage before HMRC want some back. That's why it hasn't increased with wages etc in recent years. I'm in the same boat expenses wise, I know it's money I've spent but still feels like a bonus. Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted July 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 24, 2024 My wife told me yesterday that she's off with her sister down south to visit their side of the family for a long weekend. I love her dearly, but three and a half days by myself the same weekend the football is back? I'm giddy with excitement. In fact, I did a little squeal there just typing that out. FWIW, she did ask me if I wanted to go too, but I don't have much annual leave left so I genuinely cannot go. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.