AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Reposting Ruby on Hey Ew. It's awful but absolutely brilliant because she's just doesn't seem very fun. Plus RJ City completely twats her 'gimmick' with this pearler. 

'You identify with the punk rock movement... Is that because you're a DIY rebel or because you really don't know what you stand for anymore?' 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

When was this? Her work on the indies I presume?

yeah, back when she was Heidi Lovelace. Some of it might be rose-tinted glasses (I worked with her a couple of times shortly before she signed with WWE), but back then she could always get a crowd into what she did, and wasn't doing the mugging to the camera shocked faces all the time. When she was in CHIKARA, in particular, the "punk rock" stuff was a lot more downplayed than it is now - it feels like a typical WWE effort to break her act down to just a handful of gestures and moves, and that she's not broken out of that pattern (if anything, she's got worse) in AEW.

• Paid Members

I think it’s 100% worth pushing Jade to the moon and  working around her limitations in ring when she has everything else in such abundance. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Chili said:

Reposting Ruby on Hey Ew. It's awful but absolutely brilliant because she's just doesn't seem very fun. Plus RJ City completely twats her 'gimmick' with this pearler. 

'You identify with the punk rock movement... Is that because you're a DIY rebel or because you really don't know what you stand for anymore?' 

A slight tangent and I know I've said it before, but RJ City is tremendous on these. The Eddie Kingston episode is especially superb. 

Edited by mim731

12 hours ago, Duke said:

I mean, yeah, but only in the sense that "someone" is nebulous. There are, I'm sure, people out there who would be a better booker than Tony Khan, but I'd be surprised if there are more than 10 people for whom that would apply, and I couldn't name a single one. He's a very good booker, on the whole, with some decent sized weaknesses, like anyone else. Mileage varies on how much of a nuisance they are to you, but there have been long term compelling stories on AEW that haven't been present on WWE for years. Maybe impacts doing them, I dunno.

As always, you make some fair points - but I can't say I agree. I don't think you necessarily need to know who a potential replacement could be to know that there may be a benefit in trying to find them. Triple H hadn't any booking experience before taking over NXT, Paul Heyman wasn't particularly known for his booking acumen before ECW and Eric Bischoff rose to prominence from relative obscurity. Whether it's a wrestler, ex-WWE creative team member or someone else completely - I think it's fair to assume that there's someone out there (or perhaps someone already in the company) who can produce a more consistent product. Whether you think that's necessary or not depends on how much Tony Khan's quirks bother you, and I accept that's subjective. 

In regards to the long-term storylines, as far as I can think, these were entirely led by the wrestlers. Khan absolutely deserves credit for not micro-managing them, but equally, he deserves criticism for the times where utter shit has slipped through the net. Look at Britt Baker and the treatment of the vase majority of the women's division, for example. He also has a tendency to squander hot acts. Malaki Black felt like the most exciting wrestler in the world during his feud with Cody, but feels pretty flat right now. Miro also feels wasted, and I'm just baffled at how FTR are being used. 

Perhaps the answer is less drastic, and a strong second-in-charge would be enough to eliminate some of AEW's main problems. But I do think that AEW would benefit significantly from proactively addressing some of these things, regardless of how they do it. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Malaki Black felt like the most exciting wrestler in the world during his feud with Cody, but feels pretty flat right now.

The start of the Cody feud was great but then like all Cody feuds it quickly turned into absolute shit and once Cody inevitably got his win back Malakai Black was dead in the water. Fucking Cody, man. So easy to forget how bad he was by the end.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

As much as I don't want to be the guy who breaks stuff down into individual points, you've said a few things there that I'd like to open up a bit, so forgive me if I do the pedantic lawyer thing.

I don't think you necessarily need to know who a potential replacement could be to know that there may be a benefit in trying to find them.Triple H hadn't any booking experience before taking over NXT, Paul Heyman wasn't particularly known for his booking acumen before ECW and Eric Bischoff rose to prominence from relative obscurity

I don't think they're great examples, when they were hot none of them were running 3 hours of first run programming a week, and both Bischoff and HHH lost a lot of their booking cred when their shows expanded in hours. Bischoff played favourites to a ridiculous extent with the nwo and got completely absorbed in it to the detriment of the rest of the product and was unable to build young stars, bar Goldberg. HHH booked some seriously boring 1 hour shows in his time, and benefitted massively from the fact that his roster got a proper refresh every couple of years. I can't speak to Heyman as I never watched ECW, but it's not as if that show was ever massively successful. 

I don't think any booker we know about would be inherently better. They might have different blind spots that annoy you personally less, but I don't think they'd be any better at helping AEW reach a bigger audience. They all have blindspots, it's just what blindspots annoy you more.

I think it's fair to assume that there's someone out there (or perhaps someone already in the company) who can produce a more consistent product

This is where we come apart I think, I don't think that's a fair assumption at all. I think that does a disservice to the job that the team at AEW are doing to make it sound like there's someone in easy reach who can do better.

In regards to the long-term storylines, as far as I can think, these were entirely led by the wrestlers.

Hang on, I don't think we know that for sure. We've been told that the wrestlers have a lot more freedom and input, but the only time we know for sure the wrestlers were entirely leading stories were the early days where the Bucks were losing to Private Party, Kenny was rubbish and stuff was all over the place. Things kicked into (full) gear at all levels when Khan took over. I'm sure the wrestlers have lots of input into their stories and maybe even come up with them themselves, but Khan definitely has some input.

Khan absolutely deserves credit for not micro-managing them, but equally, he deserves criticism for the times where utter shit has slipped through the net.

This is pretty one-eyed to be fair. Khan's to blame when things go wrong, but his only credit on the good stuff is not getting in the way? 

Malachi Black definitely suffered from being in one feud for way too long, and that's definitely on TK. Miro got injured and then went off to do a TV show, but I for one and excited about his next crusade. I'm interested to hear about what your issue with FTR is though. 

Doesn't Kenny Omega book the women's division?

Perhaps the answer is less drastic, and a strong second-in-charge would be enough to eliminate some of AEW's main problems. But I do think that AEW would benefit significantly from proactively addressing some of these things, regardless of how they do it. 

This I'm with you on. I think Khan does way too much, and the reason stuff slips is because he hasn't time for everything. He'd be better with a trusted (small) booking team that can focus on other acts or shows so that he can focus on the big picture, but that's because I think team is almost always better than a one-man-band. 

• Paid Members

What a wonderful excursion that man has had.  No promos or bells and whistles, everyone knew it was temporary, everyone knew the result of his significant matches before they happened, but he still won the hearts of every fan simply by being fucking excellent. 

Edited by JLM