AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

I always flinch when I see AEW gimmicked stuff. Same as most indies really, even a lot of TNA back in the Russo days and WCW in its last few years when they tried to mimic all the hardcore trends. Say what you want about WWE but they've nailed their ladders, cages etc. Total pros at all the props. Virtually any other promotion that's ever done them, it's looked terrifying. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Say what you want about WWE but they've nailed their ladders, cages etc. Total pros at all the props. Virtually any other promotion that's ever done them, it's looked terrifying. 

While I mostly agree with you, I think Joey Mercury's face might disagree.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

While I mostly agree with you, I think Joey Mercury's face might disagree.

In fairness, while you're not wrong I think you can probably dismiss that as a freak accident rather than necessary an ill prepared prop. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, mim731 said:

In fairness, while you're not wrong I think you can probably dismiss that as a freak accident rather than necessary an ill prepared prop. 

I think, in general, any time you're dealing with inanimate objects in wrestling, there's elements of unpredictability that you just can't factor in. I don't think there's anything in AEW where I would say a ladder, chair, table, anything like that was inherently more dangerous than any other, though they may have been used more recklessly. The dumpster match, I don't know if what ended up happening was any more or less safe than when the WWF did it with the New Age Outlaws and Foley and Funk. Probably just as dangerous on both counts. But in that case, if anyone got hurt, I'd say more fault lies with AEW for doing it when it's already been done before and they have someone on hand to tell them what the risks were/are. 

Mostly, it's a risk/reward thing. The amount of insane high spots I see Sammy Guevera or Darby Allin do, knowing they'll probably be forgotten by the time he does the next one, is bonkers. And doing that Dumpster bit in a midcard feud with a comedy heel jobber team is way too much risk for too little gain.

EDIT: when the fed did that spot - at the height of crash TV - they dwelled on it for an uncomfortably long time. If memory serves, they went to an ad break, and came back with Foley and Funk still stuck in the dumpster. In AEW, it falls victim to their pacing and lack of emphasis on key moments, so it's a needlessly reckless stunt, then not giving it a moment to breathe before moving on to the next segment. Is it really worth it?

Edited by BomberPat

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

EDIT: when the fed did that spot - at the height of crash TV - they dwelled on it for an uncomfortably long time. If memory serves, they went to an ad break, and came back with Foley and Funk still stuck in the dumpster. In AEW, it falls victim to their pacing and lack of emphasis on key moments, so it's a needlessly reckless stunt, then not giving it a moment to breathe before moving on to the next segment. Is it really worth it?

If memory serves, it took up most of the first hour.

• Paid Members

I just went back and watched the Matt Hardy spot. They’re so fucking lucky. Could’ve easily been fatal.

05E99436-6756-4E8C-AA22-C73B0468BAD1.gif.862b56a5d9fdd690d9243f448ace7a42.gif

Two years later and they’re still struggling to use props and stunts safely. It seems to always be one of two extremes in AEW. Either stuff looks like shit (Roman Candle Barb Wire Death Match, Jericho’s bump into a waterbed) or people nearly die (Matt Hardy, Gunn Club). Surely there’s someone they can hire to create safe, yet good looking stunts?

One thing I forgot to mention - Ricky Starks doing the best hockey fight punches I’ve ever seen! Pure fire!

If I wasn't a lazy bastard, I'd work out the percentage of episodes of AEW TV that includes the timekeepers table getting smashed. It's got to be 70%+.

I love The Acclaimed. But, yeah, that spot at the end did not look good or safe. Max Caster's Mic Drop off the tunnel was great.

• Paid Members

It's particularly amazing that the guy in the match who was around when the WWE did it in 1998, as dangerous as that was (was that how funk got injured in that match?) presumably went "yeah, ok, I'll let my two sons do that".

• Paid Members

The naïve in me thought that Austin and Colton snuck out when the camera panned onto the Acclaimed, but then one of their feet poked out of the bottom and it made me wince a little. It would have been quite easy to pop a sliding door into the back of the bin and have them dip with camera trickery. 

When The Bucks and Page finally stand together properly, its going to be like Kane and Daniel Bryan the first time they hugged, and I can't wait. Magic.

Also:

image.png.6cb1ecc9ee8e4ad80f254c21a05d4454.png

Edited by Nick James