AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s hundreds of hours of content. That’s the selling point of a streaming service. 

Would prefer prison but that would be an acceptable substitute. 

Content only has value if people want to watch it. If it was just content = value eastenders and Corrie would be making the bbc and itv a fortune streaming 

3 minutes ago, Louch said:

Content only has value if people want to watch it. If it was just content = value eastenders and Corrie would be making the bbc and itv a fortune streaming 

Britbox is the worldwide streaming service for that, it’s doing well. 

We are talking wrestling fans here. The WWE network has hundreds of hours that nobody watches. If AEW/Sniff did a streaming service, the selling point is the amount of hours of available content, not a small percentage of those hours for better quality.  It’s what sells it to advertisers. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Britbox is the worldwide streaming service for that, it’s doing well. 

We are talking wrestling fans here. The WWE network has hundreds of hours that nobody watches. If AEW/Sniff did a streaming service, the selling point is the amount of hours of available content, not a small percentage of those hours for better quality.  It’s what sells it to advertisers. 

People pay for Club Progress. Hours of even worse filmed footage from early Progress shows and a service which appears to be running on Windows 98. Mad when you consider all the new shows are on WWE Network. And also shows if you charge for it, some sucker will pay for it.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

People pay for Club Progress. Hours of even worse filmed footage from early Progress shows and a service which appears to be running on Windows 98. Mad when you consider all the new shows are on WWE Network. And also shows if you charge for it, some sucker will pay for it.

Precisely. It’s not so much as paying a subscription to watch something particular. It’s paying a subscription to have the option to watch it. 

59 minutes ago, Louch said:

Fortune is relative. Classic Corrie, EastEnders, Emmerdale are still revenue generators. ITV3, Drama domestically. ITVX previously ITVHub, UKTV Play. Britbox and other international deals. They've also got official youtube channels and the like that would generate some income through ads.

HonorClub had thousands of subscribers. Their youtube channels still had engagement. For a stats driven company if they aren't able to bundle all their hours of content into a guarantee from a streaming service, they'd be able to get all that podcast ad read money for ads stuck on a FAST tier.

• Paid Members

Not only is ROH shitting up Dynamite, its shitting up the Dynamite thread now.

Anyways, just re-watched Starks' promo, unbelievable. What a promo, it felt real without being the usual 'that part was fake, but this is real' tropes. He made MJF look a twat, without taking anything away from MJF's aura. MJF just dealing with it with a low blow was icing on the cake. A real star making promo that hopefully gets capitalised.

The problem (a good problem I might add) AEW has, is that whenever a new champion that we have all been clamouring for is crowd, the next challenger is usually someone who we are equally clamouring for to win the big one. Starks is the next big thing, I would actually give him the win, or at least a contestable loss where he should have won. A win would be a huge shock and also takes the Diamond Ring as well which is another added layer and have a good solid 6 month feud of MJF / Starks. 

Edited by Nick James

Hadn't realised until today that Jade's streak included tag appearances. Does make me think they'll be wrapping it up soon around the 50 mark. As it's quite limiting otherwise.

Once it became clear the the tag titles were main eventing. A thought occured to me that I hadn't even considered up until that point. A draw due to TV time running out. Fortunately that never happened. At Wrestle Kingdom I can see them dropping the IWGP titles. At the last Triplemania I saw something about them having new AAA title contenders, I can see them being dropped as well (some of the worst looking belts, good riddance). The epic battle for all the gold is a missed opportunity but tends to fizzle out due to the necessity of splitting the titles back up. Cue rampant speculation on where they're going when their contracts come up early next year.

• Paid Members

Last chance saloon . . .FTR lose all their other belts (probably starting with the ROH belts this weekend) and so challenge The Acclaimed to a re-match, stip being theat they can't challenge again if they lose. Normally that would be a bit of a giveaway to the result, but between the previous stip with Cody and the possibility of FTR going to WWE the following month, there could still be quite a lot of doubt over the finish. 

And yeah, for a team that holds three different sets of tag team titles, thet unfortunately have to tote around three of the ugliest belts on the market. Awful looking the lot of them. 

So FTR, the team with 3 sets of Tag belts from various promotions, lose clean then you want us to buy a PPV to watch them against a team that the network clearly don’t want on the show, in a gimmick that will have had a whopping 3 days of build? Fucks sake Tony. And FTR have already beaten The Briscoes twice this year, they should’ve told them to stick their confederate flags up their arses.

The match itself with The Acclaimed was very good. I’m in the minority that that didn’t like Acclaimed v SIOG at All Out, but I have liked most of what they’ve done since. I can’t argue with not taking the belts off of them here as they’re massively over right now, but as @Infinity Land mentioned they could’ve gone with a TV time limit draw. That way FTR don’t go into their ROH match on a loss and you’ve got a logical reason to do a rematch (possibly with No Time Limit) with The Acclaimed in the near future. But instead they’ve been beaten clean and presumably go to the back of the line and The Acclaimed move onto someone else

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

That Regal video was so weird and what made it worse was that it didn't have to be. They could have easily just filmed Regal in a neckbrace or something saying along the lines of "due to previous serious injury my family have asked me to leave AEW to protect my self from further injury and recover. I wish the BCC the very vest of luck, goodbye AEW fans" and that would have been just fine. This two weeks previous video was just incredibly confusing. I had to laugh at how clearly annoyed Mox was by it all. Poor guy, pretty much every big story he's had planned this year has been completely derailed by someone else getting injured or fucking off. He just wants a holiday.

On the other side of the spectrum, Darby Allin vs Samoa Joe was absolutely immense and an instant classic. Allin made Joe look 15 years younger. Incredible stuff and lived up to the hype.

Starks and MJF facing off felt like proper AEW. AEW promotes itself as all about the wrestling but in reality it's at it's best when it's focused on proper pro wrestling promos. This is how it's done, lads.

Rest of the show was very messily booked but generally good. TK is lucky to have such a talented roster who can usually turn his messy shit into entertaining telly.

Also, Jake Hager taking a top rope hurricanrana bump onto his FACE was a fun surprise.

Side note, according to reports Miro has been healthy and ready to get back to work for ages but "creative has nothing for him". Fuck me, sort that out pronto. Most the current lot don't have any creative either but we still see Jay Lethal every week. You don't keep Miro on the sidelines. He'd be perfect for a feud with Ricky Starks post Winter Is Coming.

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Side note, according to reports Miro has been healthy and ready to get back to work for ages but "creative has nothing for him". Fuck me, sort that out pronto. Most the current lot don't have any creative either but we still see Jay Lethal every week. You don't keep Miro on the sidelines. He'd be perfect for a feud with Ricky Starks post Winter Is Coming.

Which has already been countered by he was offered something. Turned it down leaving him out of the PPV cycle.