AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

46 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I get the feeling it's more about leading into a BCC Vs House of Black feud than anything else.

That was my thinking. They even had the graphic up with BCC & House of Black by Mox & Brody.

Gives them all something to do with the different match variations at play.

Sidenote on Brody. Maybe it stands out more because of Cody's last AEW promo. Having a Brody getting a title match in Rochester is not something I would have thought they would lean into.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Can we please keep this painfully unfunny running "joke" exclusive to the Tony Khan is a Twat thread? I'd rather this Poundland Pitcos shit didn't infect any other threads.

It’s the written equivalent of the  Ric Flair snogging picture. Absolutely run into the ground and stopped being funny about a month ago.

• Paid Members

Give it to me straight like a pear cider made with 100% pears. Does WWE have some type of copyright on the Royal Rumble concept? Are there actual legalities as to why AEW can't just do a proper Royal Rumble, where one guy comes out every 90 seconds or two minutes? They keep doing these slightly wonky Battle Royales, with a sprinkle of TNA over-complication, yet still manage to make it work. I'm always left with the same thought, which is that if they just did a carbon copy of the Royal Rumble it'd be fucking brilliant.

10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Give it to me straight like a pear cider made with 100% pears. Does WWE have some type of copyright on the Royal Rumble concept? Are there actual legalities as to why AEW can't just do a proper Royal Rumble, where one guy comes out every 90 seconds or two minutes? They keep doing these slightly wonky Battle Royales, with a sprinkle of TNA over-complication, yet still manage to make it work. I'm always left with the same thought, which is that if they just did a carbon copy of the Royal Rumble it'd be fucking brilliant.

What they really need to do is the WW3 three-ring battle royal. Glorious chaos.

• Paid Members

They need to rip off the Aztec Warfare match from Lucha Underground. 20 men entering at 90 second intervals no dq match. They were always fucking brilliant, with AEWs roster they'd be absolutely insane. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Supremo said:

They keep doing these slightly wonky Battle Royales, with a sprinkle of TNA over-complication, yet still manage to make it work. 

I think of all the battle royals they've done, this was the one that really didn't need the Rumble-esque staggered entrances which they seem to incorporate every time. They were pretty much constant and just made it feel extra messy trying to keep up with everything going on (of which their was clearly a bit too much - in the beatdown on the floor you could catch a quick glimpse of Andrade & Rush taking Penta's mask which the announcers missed/didn't acknowledge. I assume they'll refer back to it this coming week but it must have been felt it was too busy to edit in anything about it here, or perhaps there was just so much going on the camera crew didn't get any clear shots of it?)

I think it'd have been preferable in this format to have everyone in from the start which would have allowed for more participants perhaps, for the spectacle of loads of guys in 2 rings. Maybe not to WW3 proportions but two rings of 20 seems fine for a company that employs about 800 wrestlers.

On a bit of a tangent, the classic WWE concept I'd most like to see them rip-off/resurrect is proper Survivor Series - probably across a week of Dynamite & Rampage, nothing but elimination tags, every team with a nominated captain, every team given a name even if they have no formal prior/regular allegiance. Do some teams of 4, some teams of 5 to hit both nostalgia points. "Elite Eliminator"...?

• Awards Moderator

Great opening match this week, but they lost my attention after that with the mini-episode of ROH they stuck in the middle, and Tony Nese was not the guy to get my attention back at the end.

Add me to the list of people who aren’t keen on Orange’s new music. There’s just no pop to it.

What has happened to Hookhausen why are they not friends anymore what happened.

I didn't mind the ROHmpage. There was a moment in the middle of the Gresham/Moriarty v. Gates of Agony match that completely lost me. Then it all became obvious by the end. Although it leaves me wondering where Brian Cage is going to fit into things. 

Deeb and Martinez one upmanship was decent. While i'm sure it will be a good match, with no traditional babyface I worry the fans will have no interest when it happens.

Eddie v. Takeshita was a fun opener. OC v. Nese was the typical go home happy OC main event he's had on Dynamite/Rampage over the years. Although this time I felt it went too long. Second bringing back the Pixies or even the Best Friends theme over Jane.

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Deeb and Martinez one upmanship was decent. While i'm sure it will be a good match, with no traditional babyface I worry the fans will have no interest when it happens.

Of course there won’t be, Mercedes Martinez is involved.

I must be in the minority that prefers the change to ‘Jane’ from ‘Where Is My Mind?’, probably because I’ve heard it that many times that I’m fucking sick of it

• Paid Members

"We have seen Orange Cassidy literally explode here in AEW in the last month." - Jim Ross.

Must have missed that match. Hope it was a better explosion then the Omega vs Moxley one.

Jane works for me. We all just hate change or in the grand scheme it's irrelevant.

Saw the Deeb thing coming as I assumed that was the ROH match they wanted to book or go with for their July show. If they keep most of the ROH stuff to Rampage or the YouTube shows it'll be ok. They have to promote it so I get it.