You Good Looking Bastard

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Obligatory mention of our very own Short Order Cook. Can't remember his wrestling name - "The Omega" Isak something.

And there I was, finally convinced I was 100% straight. Then you remind me.

Analysis from the wife: Okada is gorgeous, prime Rock is up there at the top, young Jeff Hardy, Matt Jackson gets a strong mention, MJF, Darby. "Randy Orton is ugly as fuck." Cody, who she appreciates for his fashion, Kota Ibushi, Jungle Boy, Bret Hart in his prime, is appalled by Billy Gunn mentions in this thread, thinks Kip Sabian looks like a rat, likes Wardlow - "Beefy". 

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

How the hell were these seen as the best lookers in wrestling? You don't even know if he's winking or blinking at you.

spacer.png

That's why Gibson was such a good tag team wrestler. He could keep an eye on his partner and the opposition corner at the same time. Ricky Morton looks like one of the Nolans. 

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

How the hell were these seen as the best lookers in wrestling? You don't even know if he's winking or blinking at you.

spacer.png

Sure I saw these two at Butlins when I was younger. The Rod Stewart tribute was good but the George Michael was shocking. 

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Analysis from the wife: Okada is gorgeous, prime Rock is up there at the top, young Jeff Hardy, Matt Jackson gets a strong mention, MJF, Darby. "Randy Orton is ugly as fuck." Cody, who she appreciates for his fashion, Kota Ibushi, Jungle Boy, Bret Hart in his prime, is appalled by Billy Gunn mentions in this thread, thinks Kip Sabian looks like a rat, likes Wardlow - "Beefy". 

Me and your wife have similar tastes although rats must look very different in your neck of the woods!! Also, after watching elevation, I'm throwing Austin Gunn out there...I mean the guy has game! 

2 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I wonder how self conscious the "pushing attractive people" (can't think of a better way of putting it at the moment) is for AEW. It clearly helped NJPW's domestic business. I wonder to what extent AEW thought "we'll have a bit of that."

Do you think New Japan took that from Dragon Gate which clearly tried to attract a female fanbase and did it well?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Do you think New Japan took that from Dragon Gate which clearly tried to attract a female fanbase and did it well?

Pretty sure it was a conscious effort, yeah - it worked really well for Dragon Gate because it basically allowed them to carve out a niche that no other promotion was actively seeking out. Given than NJPW published photobooks for the likes of Okada and Tanahashi, there was definitely a conscious effort there to play off the handsomeness of their roster, and it paid dividends. It wouldn't surprise me if they did that off the back of Dragon Gate basically giving them the proof of concept.

Whether AEW are doing that or not, who knows? But historically it was always a big part of Southern wrestling to push attractive men in the hope of attracting female fans, while "New York" wrestling fans tended to see "pretty boys" as weak. The problem has been that it's crusty old male wrestling promoters that have tended to make the decision about which men people are expected to find attractive.

I remember meeting Finn Balor once and when we made eye contact it was like the "Dream Weaver" scene from Wayne's World (for me at least, possibly not so much for him).

My wife says Seth Rollins is the best looking wrestler she's seen, but acknowledges that as soon as she hears his voice she's lost interest completely.