You Good Looking Bastard

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

Dax Harwood no, million of that guy stalking every major Brewdog in every city, probably a couple of flatcaps at home, really loves private boxes at the footy etc

7 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I can see Hangman, but Punk and Dax? Really?

I was surprised. She also toyed with putting John Silver in the top 3. As I said, she hasn't the best taste in men, obviously.

Also, I'm very hungover and not entirely sure I'm not still drunk. 

Does AEW have the most mainstream-sexy roster of all time? I can't think of any company in any era of wrestling that has a roster of so many diverse good-looking guys and girls, and certainly the first that would seem to know how to capitalise on that multimedia appeal.

Hulk and Warrior in the 80s were cartoons but if a guy was singled out as a hunk (i.e. Rude or Martel), it was invariably as an unlikeable dick. On the other side, NWA/WCW were dirt-rough at marketing anything, and hype videos for guys like Magnum TA have not aged well at all in the cheesy cringe department. Vince stuck all his eggs in HBK's basket, who, while good looking, was clearly off his nut on meds so I wouldn't have trusted him on a talk show mic. Attitude era and ECW was all lads-lads-lads so good looks were seemingly reserved for the valets and not the in-ring talent, who were too busy being edgy and well-hard. The Hardy Boyz and Lita were pretty much the sum of all hotness at the time, a young attractive team who actually felt contemporary. WCW at the time was an old boy's club, where men were men, Nash was Nash, and women were Nitro Girls. The Rrrrrrrruthless Aggressssssion era turned out a hundred and one male physique models doing entries from the WWE's Wonderful World of Neckbreakers, none of whom were given the freedom or had the wherewithal to come across as anything more intelligent or engaging than a cookie cutter. We had IMO the golden era of WWE women both for skills and looks in Lita, Trish, Victoria, Stacy, and Molly, but limited to swimsuit calendars rather than a solid push in and out of the ring. I recall a bronze statue being made of Stacy Keibler's legs and ass, so there was that, I suppose.

Current WWE has a well-oiled production line of athletic, attractive talent in generic yet overcomplicated ring gear, but the sheer stagnant weight of production and rigid media control means they seem very flat, and a key measure of someone's attractiveness is, to me, the feeling that there is something genuinely going on between their ears. There's an appreciation for them, but more acknowledging they are good at their jobs rather than fancying them. 

AEW on the other hand, allow talent to express themselves on social media and in the ring, and allow them to make genuine connections with their audience. That in turn means their roster are much more attractive, because they feel more real and relatable, like we know them more.

Cavemanlynn's five pillars - Hangman, Jungle Boy, HOOK, Miro, Wardlow. At bat for all of them, with honorable mentions to Cash Wheeler and Andrade. 

Sidenote: I love that the first shot of Jack Perry in the Jurassic Express tron is properly focused on his leather-clad junk. Magnificent stuff.