Jump to content

Whats the stupidest argument you’ve had with someone ?


RancidPunx
 Share

Recommended Posts

 A few years back I occasionally had to drive this 50 year old women for about 2  ours a day.. To/from work type thing. 

She is generally fine. Chatty but fine..

This conversation takes place in about May In Ireland. 

Me : It was a nice day Saturday

Her  Yeah it was 43 degrees

Me What? Are you sure it was that warm ? I don’t think it was .

Her Yeah it was 43 degrees on Saturday. It was showing up on the electronic sign/clock outside the chemist …

Me Oh right, still 43 degrees would have been fierce warm. People would have been too warm to work , everybody would have gotten sunburnt etc.. Besides it would have been all over the news and media ….

Her (Insisting) : No, No. it was definitely 43 degrees on Saturday, it was up on the sign and thats never wrong…  

This was in the era before smart phones unfortunately, but for about 40 minutes i could not get it across to her that it was in  no way even close to being that warm. She wouldn’t back down or entertain the idea that the fucking sign might have been wrong !!!

Wiki tells me that hottest day ever recorded in Ireland was 33.3 degrees in 1887 btw… In reality it was about 18-20 degrees that day. Fuck me, i dont think i ever been so stressed getting out of a car…

Edited by RancidPunx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mate was picking lottery numbers and chose numbers 1 through 7. I scoffed at it and said why would you do that when there's obviously less chance of them coming out. He took the piss, I defended my point until he said how they're just the same balls with numbers on. The penny dropped and I sheepishly backed down and I took on some more piss taking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

My mate was picking lottery numbers and chose numbers 1 through 7. I scoffed at it and said why would you do that when there's obviously less chance of them coming out. He took the piss, I defended my point until he said how they're just the same balls with numbers on. The penny dropped and I sheepishly backed down and I took on some more piss taking. 

Take solace in the likely fact that if he does win with such an obvious pattern of numbers, the jackpot will be split more ways than with a more hodgepodge selection.

Imagine netting only a couple hundred grand. Gutted for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

My mate was picking lottery numbers and chose numbers 1 through 7. I scoffed at it and said why would you do that when there's obviously less chance of them coming out. He took the piss, I defended my point until he said how they're just the same balls with numbers on. The penny dropped and I sheepishly backed down and I took on some more piss taking. 

I'm not mathematics wizz but I always thought it depends on the branch of probability theory, if you picked 10 balls out of a bag of 20 the odds of get 10 in the range 1 - 10 is lower than having a mixed ratio, but the odds of ball 2 being one of your balls is also 1:19 like any other. You then have the odds of ball 10 being a neighbor to another ball Vs it not. 

Again I'm no maths wizz, but I've always thought you could both prove and disprove both points depending on the statistical approach.

I await correcting by some one who knows about this or a copy job from wiki being passed off as knowledge by some cunt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not mathematics wizz but I always thought it depends on the branch of probability theory, if you picked 10 balls out of a bag of 20 the odds of get 10 in the range 1 - 10 is lower than having a mixed ratio, but the odds of ball 2 being one of your balls is also 1:19 like any other. You then have the odds of ball 10 being a neighbor to another ball Vs it not. 

Again I'm no maths wizz, but I've always thought you could both prove and disprove both points depending on the statistical approach.

I await correcting by some one who knows about this or a copy job from wiki being passed off as knowledge by some cunt.

My uneducated take would be that the combination 1 through 7 being drawn is just as likely from a statistical standpoint as any other combination. It’s just seven balls from a pool of whatever the Lottery uses these days.

So I think there would be two events you’d be looking at the possibilities here. What is the possibility of getting 1–7 (or any other run of numbers)? The same as drawing any other combination. But the chance of drawing a run like that versus the chance of drawing a spaced-out run of numbers is lesser, because there are far more non-sequential combinations as there are sequential combinations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I didn’t speak to a friend from 2009 to about 2014 because he argued that Splinter Cell Conviction was going to be a bigger release than The Beatles Rock Band. It got unnecessarily heated.

The first thing I showed him when we caught up again was how much better Beatles Rock Band did.

Edited by FelatioLips
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

My uneducated take would be that the combination 1 through 7 being drawn is just as likely from a statistical standpoint as any other combination. It’s just seven balls from a pool of whatever the Lottery uses these days.

So I think there would be two events you’d be looking at the possibilities here. What is the possibility of getting 1–7 (or any other run of numbers)? The same as drawing any other combination. But the chance of drawing a run like that versus the chance of drawing a spaced-out run of numbers is lesser, because there are far more non-sequential combinations as there are sequential combinations.

Yeah I think ultimately the relevant point is the difference in probability between getting any random 7 numbers, or 7 specific numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Me and my mate got into a heated argument around martial arts film, 'Ong-Bak'. This is around 2008/2009.

The front of the DVD has the tagline, "No computer graphics. No stunt doubles. No strings attached". Obviously, this is to sell the incredible fight scenes and stunt work.

Near the end of the film though, there's this edit where an animals eyes are layered on top of the protagonist's eyes (a tiger's eyes or a lion's eyes or something) to signal "OH SHIT, HE'S MAD NOW, HE'S GOING TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF ASS KICKING, LET'S FUCKING GO!" and it sparked this stupid, endless fucking argument about whether or not the DVD tagline had lied to us.

I was on the side of "No c'mon, don't be a pedantic dick, it was alluding to the action scenes",  and he was on the side of, " This film sucked because it couldn't hold up it's guarantee!". Either way, we were in a foul mood with each other all fucking night, straight through to the pubs and clubs afterwards and back to his place in the early hours where I slept on the sofa in drunken rage.

Edited by Accident Prone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

My uneducated take would be that the combination 1 through 7 being drawn is just as likely from a statistical standpoint as any other combination. It’s just seven balls from a pool of whatever the Lottery uses these days.

So I think there would be two events you’d be looking at the possibilities here. What is the possibility of getting 1–7 (or any other run of numbers)? The same as drawing any other combination. But the chance of drawing a run like that versus the chance of drawing a spaced-out run of numbers is lesser, because there are far more non-sequential combinations as there are sequential combinations.

If you mean the two events are whether you get 1-7 in any order vs getting 1-7 pulled in sequential order then yes they are two events (permutation and combination). But as far as the probability of getting 1-7 in any order is the same as getting "1,2,3,4,5,6,10" in any order.

Now if you factor in how lotteries work in terms of a shared jackpot then you'd probably not want to do 1-7 as there are probably more people picking those numbers (as a laff) thus reducing your payout should that rare combination come up.

Back on topic, one great argument I've had related to the above was after explaining this to an old relative them going "yeah well if thats the case how come its never happened eh?".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

@David, anything you’d like to add?

Personally? No. 

I did, however, have to sit on a bus from Glasgow one night after the pub listening to two berks argue about who was "the most dangerous man in the world."

One chap believed it was Ken Shamrock. The other? Saddam Hussein. That was an argument no one can win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...