AEW Full Gear 2021 (Sat 13th Nov)

tiger_rick

I had the pre show wait thingy up on YouTube as I pottered about the house for the last half an hour. Minor thought, I know, but I love how the repetitive Dynamite placeholder riff has become as ingrained in my head as Thorn In Your Eye and the Nitro music. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

A few predictions:

- Hangman wins the Big One. There isn't another acceptable outcome than him winning clean as a sheet. 

- Miro beats Danielson to be Hangman's first challenger, maybe on a special Dynamite next month. 

- Britt Baker over Tay Conti. It's not Tay's time to win. Looking good in defeat here is the next stage in her development. 

- Lucha Bros to beat FTR. A re-match down the line a little with both sets of belts on the line. 

- Cody and PAC Vs Black and Andrade. Black and Andrade to win as I expect them to be aligned going forward. Whereas I could see Cody and PAC transitioning into a feud with each other. 

- ATT Vs Inner Circle. Could go either way this. If ATT's run is over, then they lose now. Pretty simple. If they are staying about for a little bit then they go over here, and you do another match down the line with the old 'If Inner Circle win, Jericho gets five minutes with Dan Lambert'. Either way I expect this blown off before the end of the year. I'll say Inner Circle finish it tonight. 

- Cole and The Young Bucks Vs Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus and Christian. Jungle Boy should be getting the win here, however I don't expect that to happen and think Cole goes over. As long as JB doesn't take the pin. If it was split over two matches, I would have had JB and Luchasaurus pin the Bucks, with Cole beating Christian, in order to move into Jungle Boy Vs Cole in a singles. That may still be what happens, but I expect the Christian heel turn isn't very far around the corner here. 

- MJF Vs Darby. Both these men need the win. However Page is going to need fresh heel challengers, and I expect MJF to be his second one after Miro. 

- Punk Vs Kingston - This should be super hot. It's not the right time for Punk to lose, and I don't think it'll particularly hurt Eddie to drop an L here. 

One thing I will give for AEW is that they don't just switch titles around week to week like WWE seem to do. When someone has a belt they defend it a lot so if and when they do lose it, it actually feels that much more of a big deal.

There was 30 seconds left of the show and I was like "oh right, I'm not actually gonna get all teary", and then Hangman swatted away the beer for a big hug with his friends instead, and that was me gone. That's how you finish a PPV.

I skipped most of Baker/Conti and the Inner Circle match, I was just too exhausted to sit through them after everything else going on. Wasn't too keen on the Cody/Pac tag match just because the whole booing Cody thing is pretty distracting from whatever they're trying to do, but everything else was great.

The first two matches may even get overshadowed because of everything else that came after, just so much goodness everywhere. And blimey, that Luchasaurus shooting star press off the stage! Amazeballs.

This is the first PPV I've actually paid for in at least 15 years, purely off the back of all the positivity I've read on here and the general hype surrounding the whole card (and the fact it was on a Saturday night).  I haven't watched any of the shows leading up to it but keep up to date with what's happening through reviews and discussions on here so I did have a decent idea of the storylines going into it.  Without going into a ton of detail I'll just say I thought the show was excellent from pretty much top to bottom.  The production was great, the crowd was hot, a number of people came across as genuine stars and most importantly you actually left the show feeling happy and satisfied with having invested your time and money in watching.  Great job all round. 

The only slight negative that stood out was things felt very rushed at times.  I was getting some serious TNA vibes with how quickly they were jumping to the next segment and it even caught the announcers by surprise a few times, but it didn't drag the show down massively.  I'd have probably just preferred one less match and a bit more breathing room across the show.  I think the crowd were right on the verge of burnout during the main event but managed to keep the energy up, but it was a fine balance. 

• Awards Moderator

What an emotional journey I went on in that main event. Lump in my throat and a slightly quivering lip when Hangman entered. Gasps and hand on mouth when the ref got hit with the Buckshot. Heart racing as we got into the finishing stretch. An almost disbelieving “he did it? He did it” smile at the pinfall. Tears welling up as the Dark Order came out to celebrate with the new champion. Magic.

Rest of the show pales in comparison really, but there was great stuff throughout. Darby and MJF worked hard, Jungle Boy continues to become a huge star (and Luchasaurus had his best showing in ages), and Kingston vs Punk was the proper nasty sizzling electric fight I wanted it to be. AEW!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator