AEW Full Gear 2021 (Sat 13th Nov)

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Loki said:

Incidentally, Penta's suplexes are weird, he kind of rolls backwards rather than lifts up and over, is that a lucha technique or just him?

It is a lucha thing, yeah - Lucha in general relies more on rolling than bumping; you don't often see luchadores taking flat back bumps, they'd rather roll in and out of moves. It's because Lucha Libre rings tend to be constructed more like a boxing ring, so it's just not something you want to bump on over and over again. You don't really see that kind of suplex often in old fashioned lucha as a result (in fact, if you're calling a match in Mexico, "suplex" means what anyone else would call an arm drag, for some reason), and they just look a bit naff.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

(in fact, if you're calling a match in Mexico, "suplex" means what anyone else would call an arm drag, for some reason)

From now on I'm going to assume that whoever put together the classic Silver Vision reel was a lucha mark, hence why they put a clip of Marty Janetty doing an armdrag when the voiceover said "side suplexes".

4 hours ago, Statto said:

From now on I'm going to assume that whoever put together the classic Silver Vision reel was a lucha mark, hence why they put a clip of Marty Janetty doing an armdrag when the voiceover said "side suplexes".

I'm guessing it was a choice between that or Dino Bravo footage.