AEW Full Gear 2021 (Sat 13th Nov)

tiger_rick

Just now, BrodyGraham said:

Very short version, Taeler Hendrix accused Lethal of harassing her whilst they were both in ROH. Lethal's response to being rebuffed was to apparently use his position in ROH to make her life difficult. 

Not just her. There were four different women, according to Kelly Klien, who Lethal basically alledgedly told them they'd not get on TV without "favours".

2 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

In response to the comment made about the second ref coming in she did count the 3 count her hand hit the mat, omega kicked out a millisecond after however with the crowd going bat shit it covered it up slightly. 

I thought so. It seemed like for a second she kind of debated just saying it was three, and then said it was two so they could go to the planned finish.

11 minutes ago, Louch said:

What are the Lethal accusations? The pressers are always more a circle jerk similar to the media calls they and wwe do. For something bad, it’s place is more a separate request for comment which they fail at 

I’m not sure if you mean it to come across this way, but are you suggesting that a post-event media scrum is not the place for difficult questions? If you’re a journalist, ANYWHERE is the place to ask a difficult question, particularly when it revolves around allegations as grave as this. The reporters in attendance completely failed here. 

Full Gear was just fantastic. 

Page's win was everything I hoped for. The moment when Page swatted the beer away to hug his new friends was just beautiful plus when lent back when in the DO's shoulders to soak it all in. That is pro wrestling at its best 

Punk vs Kingston was a great brawl. I'm guessing any rematch is going to be loser gets his middle finger chopped off with the way the match went. 

Christian went from being medically disqualified to jumping off balconies in a 10 month span. Lucha as the monster can't be killed is in my top 5 favourite things in wrestling rn. Jungle Boy's conflict with being a brutal bastard was an interesting watch. See where they'll go with it. 

Surprised that Danielson won but Miro vs God has legs in it for sure. 

If Allin and MJF is the future then we're all going be fine. Mad to think it was only the 4th/5th best match on the show. Who the fuck was cheering MJF. I'm guessing they were probably touched by their uncle when they were kids. 

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m not sure if you mean it to come across this way, but are you suggesting that a post-event media scrum is not the place for difficult questions? If you’re a journalist, ANYWHERE is the place to ask a difficult question, particularly when it revolves around allegations as grave as this. The reporters in attendance completely failed here. 

I haven’t seen any press conference in sports where that kinda question gets brought up in a long time.  It’s just not the done thing. If it was asked, it’d be dismissed. Watch any in football and it’s all fluff questions as that is what fans want to hear. For serious stuff you don’t grandstand, you go for comment. I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s how it’s done vast majority of the time. 

• Paid Members

That falls count anywhere, Pac/Cody Vs Andrade/Black and women's title match killed the crowd. I thought that 6 man would never end. Pac did everything he could in that match but it felt like the crowd was sitting on their hands. They just don't care for Cody or any other bollocks he's involved in, and I don't think anybody there thought Tay Conti had a chance of winning, no matter how strong they tried to make her look in defeat. It's obvious they're treading water until Thunder Rosa challenges for the title. 

I really enjoyed the opener, as well as Danielson Vs Miro (I half expected JR to go full on flashback and start talking about Rusev Day). Danielson & Page should be a heck of a match. 

Punk coming straight out and foregoing his usual entrance looking like he'd come for an MMA fight gave his match with Kingston and totally different feel. What a brawl it was. 

The ten man was what it was. Everybody got their stuff in. 

That main event was good when it got going. Everything kicked up a gear when the ref bump happened. The Bucks giving Page the nod could be interesting going forward. Presumably Kenny is going to rest up now and be back for something involving the SuperKliq down the line? I guess we'll find out on Wednesday. 

• Paid Members

I thought it was a bit of a mixed show, with some high highs and some low lows and overall far, far, too fucking LONG.

- MJF vs Darby Allin was an incredibly opener and came insanely close to stealing the entire show. Both men put in a simply tremendous effort. Darby just doesn't have bad matches and MJF put in the best singles match of his career. Hoping this isn't the end of this feud as there's definitely at least two more big matches left between these two stars.

- I love Fenix. I love Penta. I really don't like the Lucha Bros. FTR are fantastic and should have won. FTR are not good opponents for Lucha Bros as FTR are all about classic traditional tag wrestling while the Lucha Bros just do a bunch of random shit that makes no sense. I really want them to split up and be singles wrestlers as they are both far better on their own. This was not a good match at all.

- Danielson vs Miro was great hard hitting stuff but I was really hoping for a Miro win as he needs a big win. Miro's clobbering body shots throughout were the highlight. Felt like they kind of fucked up the finish a little bit to me. As much as I liked this I feel like they've got a better match in them, fingers crossed for a rematch down the line.

- Falls Count Anywhere was a ton of fun if slightly too long. Luchasaurus hit some of his big spots in spectacular fashion but looked fairly lost and confused between them. Jungle Boy played his part absolutely perfectly. No idea why Adam Cole did a blade job in this as it was completely unnecessary. Good finish and the right winners.

- This is where the show fell off the rails. Just like at Double Or Nothing here comes Cody to kill off the live crowd. This whole tag match was a waste of time and a waste of Pac, Andrade and Black who are all mega stars and world class top level wrestlers. It's not about turning heel, or anything else with Cody...he just needs to fuck off. He's dreadful and has no fucking idea what he's doing out there. Completely useless and going nowhere. The reaction was bored hatred or complete apathy. The story of this match made no sense. I had no idea why anyone was fighting or tagging or what the stakes of the match were. On a long show sometimes stuff needs to be cut and this match should have been cut... actually it shouldn't have even taken place. With pretty much everything else in AEW hitting the mark it just highlights how bad Cody is at everything. This match felt like it was 45 minutes long. Awful.

- I couldn't have cared less about the womens match after that tag match and it seemed neither could the live crowd. I really like Tay Conti but Britt Baker's weird tweener run as Champion is doing nothing for me. Are we supposed to boo or cheer her? No one knows. I have no idea if this match was good or not, I zoned out completely.

- Repetitive spots. So many dives, planchas, middle fingers and super kicks, three different 3 Amigos spots. On Dynamite I can stomach it but a 4 hour show it gets pretty mind numbing by the half way mark.

- CM Punk vs Eddie Kingston was absolutely the best match on the show and an absolute classic. The crowd immediately woke the fuck up when these lads came out. They told a beautiful story here. Eddie Kingston gave CM Punk a brutal beating, but by the end CM Punk still put him away solidly and fairly easily as Kingston is just not on Punk's level. Punk is the Best In The World, a former World Champion who has wrestled and beaten the best of the best. Kingston is tough, angry and violent but Punk is just clearly on a different skill level than him so the outcome was never really in question. Punk knows this. Punk respected Kingston's effort and offered his hand but Kingston's own self loathing and anger that he just isn't as good as a top guy like Punk and never will be eats him alive so he couldn't take Punk's hand. Absolutely loved it.

- Inner Circle vs Men Of The Year (and other guys) didn't really interest me or hold my attention. Inner Circle have done all the can for me and probably best if they go there separate ways. One of the teams only have two guys out of 5 who actually know how to wrestle made this feel like a 5 on 2 handicap match at times as Men Of The Year had to do nearly all the work. Fed up of seeing MMA guys throwing bad punches on my fake wrestling shows. Didn't really enjoy this.

- Fucking Jay Lethal? Who could possibly care about that guy in 2021? 

- Page vs Omega was good. The presentation was perfect with the entrances, small touches and hype videos. While the match was good I felt like it needed just a little bit more fire to it to take it up to the next level. The ending few minutes were pretty perfect as was the celebration with the Dark Order. Stu Grayson offering Hangman a beer and him knocking it away and going in for the group hug brought a tear to the eye. Ultimate feel good stuff. AEW crowing their first truly homegrown star as Champion feels like a huge moment and it's a story that's been built since the very first show. Truly one of the greatest stories in wrestling history. All hail the Hangman!

21 minutes ago, Louch said:

I haven’t seen any press conference in sports where that kinda question gets brought up in a long time.  It’s just not the done thing. If it was asked, it’d be dismissed. Watch any in football and it’s all fluff questions as that is what fans want to hear. For serious stuff you don’t grandstand, you go for comment. I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s how it’s done vast majority of the time. 

This isn’t true at all. Difficult questions are always asked in pressers, they just don’t make the cut for the bit that gets edited and broadcasted. There are examples of journalists being banned or having privileges revoked for asking questions that the subject didn’t like so it’s possible that could’ve been the case here. 

Who next for All Elite? Marty Scurll? El Ligero?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This isn’t true at all. Difficult questions are always asked in pressers, they just don’t make the cut for the bit that gets edited and broadcasted. There are examples of journalists being banned or having privileges revoked for asking questions that the subject didn’t like so it’s possible that could’ve been the case here. 

Who next for All Elite? Marty Scurll? El Ligero?

The return of Jimmy Havoc? Travis Banks *ahem* I mean "Galactico"?

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The return of Jimmy Havoc? Travis Banks *ahem* I mean "Galactico"?

They could sign Harvey Weinstein and Prince Andrew and fans wouldn’t give a fuck as long as they get their wrestling. It’s a business by cunts for cunts so that cunts can watch. 

• Paid Members

I realise it was said further up the page nobody believed Conti had a chance but I really bloody did and going back to how excited everyone has been for Page, that was the one deflating moment of the night. The build up has been "this is the biggest match of her career", "she's become the biggest threat" and then they send her out with no back up from DMDs goon squad and have her beat. Though it coming from Britt out wrestling her can probably be tied into some storyline, just more experience I guess.

I seriously thought she had it three or four times and even if it was a short reign before giving it back to Britt going full heel ready for Thunder Rosa it would have made a brilliant moment mid way through the card on a night they seemed to be promoting the pillars of AEW, she's becoming one of them for me. She's likeable, seems like she would do great in press meets, interviews, the friendship with Brodie Jr is incredible and something that you can tell has really helped him the last 12 months. She's improved ten fold as well, the legit background helps but you can see shes putting time in as well as so many matches each month. I just thought they've maybe missed a step there, especially as I guess this is her back down the rankings again now.

Other than that, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. From the Dark Order running in the video package to them coming out at the end, even the Bucks finally giving Hangman the seal of approval with a simple nod, the match was great. Punk and Kingston was the smash em up I wanted and Danielson as a next challenger (maybe holding off until the first night on TBS?) Is great as well.

Edited by Shy Dad

55 minutes ago, Louch said:

Keith has already said this, but this just couldn’t be further from the truth, it happens all the time. If something serious happens there’s an expectation that the incident in question will be asked about - Mendy at Man City, Craig Thomson at Hearts, Adam Johnson at Sunderland, clubs going into administration - all were asked about, and this was to the club’s manager. In this situation you had the company’s owner and the person who had allegations made against them, and nothing was asked. It’s a journalist’s job to ask the questions that people don’t want to answer, and what you’re suggesting there, with the greatest respect, massively misunderstands how journalism works. I can kind of excuse that though, because apparently wrestling journalists make that same misunderstanding.

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Keith has already said this, but this just couldn’t be further from the truth, it happens all the time. If something serious happens there’s an expectation that the incident in question will be asked about - Mendy at Man City, Craig Thomson at Hearts, Adam Johnson at Sunderland, clubs going into administration - all were asked about, and this was to the club’s manager. In this situation you had the company’s owner and the person who had allegations made against them, and nothing was asked. It’s a journalist’s job to ask the questions that people don’t want to answer, and what you’re suggesting there, with the greatest respect, massively misunderstands how journalism works. I can kind of excuse that though, because apparently wrestling journalists make that same misunderstanding.

Wrestling journalists are more reporters than those who ask proper pertinent questions. I doubt anyone is doing any investigating, it’s about clickbait that’s put in front of them. These “journalists” are chasing ad revenue, not any desire to better the wrestling world. Anyway, this is a tangent off the show and this chats happening in the speaking out thread where it’s better placed.