AEW Full Gear 2021 (Sat 13th Nov)

tiger_rick

Can’t remember a ref bump ever having me so worried than in that main event. Was a proper “they can’t do this can they” chat amongst us during that part.

poor hangman’s forehead will be hurting today, no matter what that tried they couldn’t get blood flowing.  Glad as punk and Cole juiced loads earlier and if you are gonna have it in the main it shouldn’t be 3rd time you see it. Same with Tay Conti using his moonsault to outside earlier in the night. This repetition is creeping back glaringly. 

no OWA from Omega Kick out, at least they protected that. 
Love the result, but on second watch it just felt slower and less intense than I expected. Just something in the finish was a little too strong for Page. 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Louch said:

Glad as punk and Cole juices loads earlier and if you are gonna have it in the main it shouldn’t be 3rd time you see it. Same with Tay Conti using his moonsault to outside earlier in the night. This repetition is creeping back glaringly. 

Ditto people flipping eachother off. Must have happened at least 5 times in different matches.

Great show top to bottom I thought, though not sure anything topped the opener MJF Vs Darby which took me completely by surprise. Punk Vs Kingston was fantastic and well, a complete spectacle.

The biggest compliment I can be to AEW is that I felt the way that I do before a big Scotland football match (yes, these do exist) ahead of Omega/Page, I can’t remember ever feeling so nervous ahead of a wrestling match. Then when he got the pinfall, fuck me, I felt emotional. The use of The Bucks, The Dark Order; it was all done to perfection.

Having said that, my favourite match of the night was Punk/Kingston. Eddie surely had a Hangman Page-style moment in his future, when he finally lifts the AEW World title over his head. And holy shit, if that happens, it’ll actually surpass Hangman winning the belt for me. I’m stupidly invested in that guy.

On the flip side, they need to do something about Cody. He’s not even getting the Cena reaction, it seems to be a mixture of genuine hatred and apathy. It just isn’t fun to watch.

Best show they've ever put on for sure. The match quality was insanely high, almost to the point of being too good and it was capped off with the perfect ending to the Hangman story. The nod from Matt Jackson and the Dark Order coming out at the end. Beautiful. 

Those first four matches of MJF/Darby, Luchas/FTR, Bryan/Miro and the Falls Count Anywhere match - you will struggle to find any show ever that has had such a great set of matches opening. MFJ and Darby was insanely good, never expected them to have such good chemistry.

You can't possibly keep up that pace on a four hour show so it was always going to cool down a bit with the Cody tag and the Womens Title match, it was also probably smart of them to have Punk/Kingston be a 10 minute fight as it meant it stood out on a show full of lengthy matches. Do a double turn with this feud and give me Hangman/Punk please. The Minneapolis Street Fight was more of a cool down match as well, decent but a better version of the match existed earlier in the show. 

So glad this company exists.

Edited by AndyUK

One thing that I think is pretty astounding is that, as far as I can tell, no one at all asked about the allegations made against Jay Lethal at the post-show media scrum; and both Tony Khan and Jay Lethal were there. The wrestling media continually fails at dealing with this kind of thing.

They did it. AEW again delivers a great moment, to cap a wonderfully told story, just by doing what the story was building towards, without any swerves for the sake of surprising people. Great stuff. Did Aubrey Edwards count three when she first ran down after the ref bump? I thought she did. If she didn't, that's got to be the closest near fall I've ever seen.

Punk;/Kingston was great. Punk starting the five moves of doom and the crowd realising was great. Kingston is my guy.

I wouldn't say there was a bad match on the card, really. I will say that those first four matches, while fantastic in their own way, had me exhausted by the time Cody/Pac vs Black/Andrade was starting. Punk/Kingston was so great because it was so different to most of what had come before it. That's my only negative on this show: too many matches without time in between to catch a breath. I had to rewatch the last three matches this morning just because I was worn out while watching them last night. I didn't feel like that at all for All Out, so Full Gear 2021 probably slots in as AEW's second best PPV ever for me.

Shout out to the people with the "Cody solved racism" sign. That got me. As did "what would Kota think?" and the way Omega looked at them when he saw that. Apparently the person with those signs is the guy who wrote Borderlands 2.

spacer.png

Edited by 69MeDon

13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

One thing that I think is pretty astounding is that, as far as I can tell, no one at all asked about the allegations made against Jay Lethal at the post-show media scrum; and both Tony Khan and Jay Lethal were there. The wrestling media continually fails at dealing with this kind of thing.

How very progressive of them. Maybe he has been brought in to tag with Allin as a new APA. Abusers Protection Agency. 

20 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Even if those accusations weren't out there, what is Jay Lethal adding to AEW at this point? A really weird signing.

Lowering the value of the forbidden door by sheer association. 

What are the Lethal accusations? The pressers are always more a circle jerk similar to the media calls they and wwe do. For something bad, it’s place is more a separate request for comment which they fail at