The Owen Cup.

BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

If the likes of Darkside of the Ring could cobble together archive footage/photography, i'm sure AEW will be fine on that front for promo packages. It's not like they need to show full length matches.

Dark side of the ring can use wwe footage without their permission under fair usage because it's for a documentary (and therefore classed as transformative), AEW can't. It means AEW would be limited to getting the rights to footage and photos outside of what WWE owns, which is very, very slim pickingsĀ 

1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Dark side of the ring can use wwe footage without their permission under fair usage because it's for a documentary (and therefore classed as transformative), AEW can't. It means AEW would be limited to getting the rights to footage and photos outside of what WWE owns, which is very, very slim pickingsĀ 

There's very little "WWE"Ā  footage in it that. It was home videos, photos, and some fan cams I think were thrown in. Which is my point, there's plenty of stuff out there to do the 5 minute hype package explaining the importance of Owen Hart with talking heads thrown in. So much so you don't need the WWE stuff.

They aren't doing a commerative DVD that needs dozens of matches as extras.

Just now, Infinity Land said:

There's very little "WWE"Ā  footage in it that. It was home videos, photos, and some fan cams I think were thrown in. Which is my point, there's plenty of stuff out there to do the 5 minute hype package explaining the importance of Owen Hart with talking heads thrown in. So much so you don't need the WWE stuff.

They aren't doing a commerative DVD that needs dozens of matches as extras.

And with Martha on board, theyā€™ll probably have access to never before seen photos and home vids. Not that sort, you filthy beasts!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

The problem with that format is people might find it more Bound For Glory Series than G1. It's a really good idea, though, if you had the right talent you could do it in a night over a single show as well like at Starrcade 89.Ā 

Jericho will win.Ā 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Ā 

Are you just posting for the sake of it?

Sorry. I'll elaborate: I'd love if it was underneath guys in the tournament because it'd be good exposure for them, and could be a good way of elevating somebody to the next level. As much of an attraction as it could be to just stick 8 of your top guys in it, there's an opportunity to make another star here. Somebody like Dani Garcia winning would be nice.Ā 

The problem then is that I don't know whether there are enough women on the roster that they'd be able to do the same with that side of the tournament, and it could provoke a bit of "why is it all top women in this tournament, but underneath guys in this one?"Ā 

11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sorry. I'll elaborate: I'd love if it was underneath guys in the tournament because it'd be good exposure for them, and could be a good way of elevating somebody to the next level. As much of an attraction as it could be to just stick 8 of your top guys in it, there's an opportunity to make another star here. Somebody like Dani Garcia winning would be nice.Ā 

The problem then is that I don't know whether there are enough women on the roster that they'd be able to do the same with that side of the tournament, and it could provoke a bit of "why is it all top women in this tournament, but underneath guys in this one?"Ā 

If this is going to be a 16 person bracket there should be a decent mix of established, on the rise, and imports. There's more chance of this being treated as the NJ Cup than KOTR.

It might not always be the winner that's someone new. Along the way you could easily get someone like Dani Garcia beating a Mox/Punk/Darby type that would be a sign they're about to get a more serious push.

Ā 

I think as it's the first Owen Cup, they'll want a big name winning it to show respect to both Owen and his family and also make a point of saying this tournament/cup is worth winning in the future.Ā 

Couple of years down the line, they can start looking at the future of the company winning it but for the first two or three years it'll need to be the more established stars to add prestige and respect to the cup.Ā