The Owen Cup.

BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I'm genuinely more interested in wrestlers fighting over spilt coffee or shampoo commercials then because brackets put them together. 

I'm the opposite. I love the different storyline dynamics you can do with a tournament. People can fight each other that wouldn't usually, an upset seems to always work better when its part of a tournament, you get to work in the idea of endurance from previous matches, if other people had an easier match or bye etc. Take the greatest five minute match of all time, Kid vs Owen Hart. The Kid is beaten up to shit by Jeff Jarrett earlier so goes balls to the wall trying to win as quickly as possible because he's got nothing in the tank so if Owen extends him to any length of time, he's fucked. Of course, such rashness lends itself to mistakes, and when he makes one mistake too many, he's fucked regardless. Love it.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Tournaments are wonderful. The more the merrier, I say. 

When you compare and contrast this with much of the output across WWE's shows - where matches are constantly repeated and often don't feel like anything will actually develop from them - this is something AEW have done very well since their inception with their tournaments and rankings systems.

Kayfabe died a long time ago and no promotion is perfect, nor will every tournament or ranking system be rigidly stuck to and presented perfectly. But at least one promotion actively tries to present their matches as sporting endeavours with directly consequential permutations. 

To be honest the buzz has completely worn off for me and I'm now struggling to give a shit about these tournaments.

I just want them over with. 

Though all will be forgiven if Yuka Sakazaki enters the woman's one and wins. 

Yes bring back downvotes, etc. 

Is it just the semis/finals on the ppv or just the finals? I always preferred having 3 rounds on the show unless it's a multi night event. Then the tournament has at least a feel of being more difficult. When it's less that intensity goes away and is completely lost for me if it's just the finals. The exception being matches tonxrpwn new champions.

Double or Nothing is just the two finals.

If there were semis Double or Nothing would look something like this so far:

1. AEW World Title: Hangman v. CM Punk
  2. AEW Women's World Title: Thunder Rosa v. Serena Deeb
  3. Owen Hart Men's Final
  4. Owen Hart Women's Final
  5. Owen Hart Men's Semi
  6. Owen Hart Men's Semi
  7. Owen Hart Women's Semi
  8. Owen Hart Women's Semi
  9. *TBA Wardlow v. MJF

The Semis will be on the Dynamite/Rampage before the PPV.

9 minutes ago, mrtrickio said:

Hoping now we're into the tournament proper  they do something with the lighting or similar to distinguish an Owen Hart tournament match from a regular one given they're just on dynamite / rampage

Isn’t just letting everyone know it’s a tournament match enough? 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, mrtrickio said:

Hoping now we're into the tournament proper  they do something with the lighting or similar to distinguish an Owen Hart tournament match from a regular one given they're just on dynamite / rampage

I like this idea and the notion of doing some additional pomp and circumstance around it. Before many sports tournaments there's often a promotional event and photoshoot ahead of the competition/tournament. For instance, at the World Snooker Championships, a photoshoot and press conference always takes place with the top 16 players, who pose with the World Championship trophy in different settings. Some similar promotional material with the respective fields, each person talking about what it means to be in the tournament, Owen's legacy, etc would only add to the overall importance of the matches. Combine that with some different lighting and potentially some ring introductions with both people in the ring (as if it were a title bout) would go down a treat. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
On 5/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, Tommy! said:

Well booked tournaments are wonderful, KOTR 95 and Mania 4 can fuck right off. 

The curiosity there being that originally Mabel was going to go over Razor in the final before the Bad Guy was injured, so Mabel’s crowning would have put him over Ramon and The Undertaker on the same night! Chris Jericho would never (e-e-ever) bother bringing up Vengeance 2001 if The Worlds Largest Love Machine had pulled that one off, chico.