The Owen Cup.

BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
On 4/29/2022 at 11:28 AM, Vamp said:

I'm not a regular viewer but whenever I tune in it feels like the Owen Hart tournament has been going on forever without ever really starting. I'm worried that some of the wrestlers who originally qualified for it will have forgotten all about it by the time it comes around.

The women's tournament kinda feels like an afterthought too. It's very "suppose we better have a women's version as well." Was there really not a woman they could have named it after? Could they not have run it at a different time of year. I'm looking forward to watching Hayter vs. Storm but it's not like that match needs a tournament to happen anyway.Ā 

I bet it's still better run than the Bound For Glory Series ever was. Right down to them having tag matches with a scoring system in a singles "tournament". It was nowhere near as egregious as the "just enough points for AJ Styles to win" battle royal, though.Ā 

I wonder if there will be any surprises for to get the final spots?

Men's

1. Samoa Joe
  2. Kyle O'Reilly
  3. Adam Cole
  4. Dax Harwood
  5. Darby Allin
  6. Bobby Fish/Jeff Hardy
  7. Dante Martin/Rey Fenix

Women's

1. Toni Storm
  2. Jamie Hayter
  3. Hikaru Shida
  4. Red Velvet
  5. Ruby Soho
  6. Britt Baker DMD
  7. Riho/Yuka Sakazaki

Ā 

I do enjoy a good tournament and this one is shaping up nicely. I appreciate wrestlers having to actually win qualifiers to get in, too. Instantly makes it seem more important.Ā 

Not sure about final entrants, but there's certainly plenty to pick from the men's side.Ā 

Was wondering if they'd maybe have Dax win this, feels like he's someone who winning would be pretty meaningful plus with FTR recently face and Dax's family being often brought up it'd make for a pretty good ending moment with him putting over wrestling and family.Ā  Have him upset Adam Cole in semis (i guess you could do some Redragon/FTR nonsense if Cole needs protecting) then have him and Samoa Joe in the finals

Ā 

But it'll probably be Adam Cole or something cos somehow he's the new Owen or something, people love him yet he's a sneaky heel with his crazy antics like doing a low blow and also other things..Ā  Eugh.

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
On 5/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

the "just enough points for AJ Styles to win" battle royal

My second favourite TNA gimmick match, next to the "why would a lower card loser even both climbing a pole if its a risk of losing their job???" match.

• Paid Members

I wonder whether they're bringing that one back at Slammiversary to celebrate the 20th anniversary. Maybe they'll do a King Of The Mountain match for old times' sake. There's a Monsters' (Monster's? Monsters?) Ball match this week on Impact ahead of their next Stephen Seagal themed special on Saturday.Ā 

I know he's completely broken down now, and will probably disappear off to rehab soon, but I kind of want Jeff Hardy to win this, if only because he's the one competitor who would have actually wrestled Owen Hart.

Going to feel a bit more like a tournament now. Looks like Riho v. Sakazaki will be the last qualifier in the Women's tournament with a Joker filling the 8th spot.

Quarter finals over May 11th Dynamite/Rampage. May 18th Dynamite/Rampage

Semi finals May 25th Dynamite and May 27th Rampage.

Finals Double or Nothing.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

Why not do the semi finals and the finals at Double Or Nothing? Do it back to back like when Jericho won the undisputed title. It could create some extra drama.Ā 

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Why not do the semi finals and the finals at Double Or Nothing? Do it back to back like when Jericho won the undisputed title. It could create some extra drama.Ā 

I'm a sucker for a one night tournament, love the early king of the rings where they have quarters, semi and final on the same night.

Probably to many folk to get on the show to have people wrestling twice here though.

• Paid Members

Its absolutely fascinating to hear in podcasts in recent years that VinceĀ hatesĀ tournaments, despite the company doing a million of them between King of the Ring, the original Wrestling Classic, the workaround to getting the belt onto Randy Savage in 1988, a seemingly yearly Intercontinental title tournament in the mid/late 90s.

Call me crazy though, but unless there have been previous rounds prior to the PPV, I'm incapable of using "tournament" to describe three matches where the winners of the first two then meet each other later. "Tournaments" don't just start at semi-finals and involve four blokes, they're grander than that.

Makes sense really. Tournaments are probably a tougher draw then a set card.Ā 

I can't get on with leagues and tournaments as a viewer. There's notable exceptions. She-1 works for me because it's 4 shows in 2 days and it's knackering as a fan so I can kind of imagine how knackering it must be as a wrestler. But I want wrestlers to be fighting over bollocks on my TV wrestling. I'm genuinely more interested in wrestlers fighting over spilt coffee or shampoo commercials then because brackets put them together.Ā 

I genuinely feel like I need to apologise for that as a fan though.Ā