The Owen Cup.

BrodyGraham

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Isn’t it great that someone stuck to their guns and upheld their fuck you to WWE? Usually they all go crawling back but here that didn’t happen. And now someone else will be able to profit from merch and I bet that makes Old Man Vince livid!

I'm fine with that. I have no idea what the deal is they worked out but anything that means the McMahon's don't earn a penny from OH but others do, I'm grand with. Good for her and those pricks deserve to lose any right to him. Worked there or not, it's a unique case. 

59 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Which he’ll then get back through the residual effect, as @Keith Houchen mentioned.

Had WWE done the exact same thing, be it in 1999 or now, people would be accusing them of profiting off of a man’s death. 

There's been talk of an annual AEW tournament from the beginning. They could have kept 100% of the revenue from that, instead they're linking up with the Owen Hart Foundation.

As for WWE doing it? I wouldn't have had a problem with it as it would have meant a mending of the fences between the family and WWE. That's never happened though.

The difference is he didn’t die working for aew. Seeing a company profit, even residually from an event in the name of a performer their slackness had a part in killing, rightfully doesn’t sit right with people. 

• Paid Members

I don't really have an issue with it myself. WWE can't do something like this due to Martha's (quite understandable) unwillingness to do business with them and AEW are in a position to do so. Outside of non-profits, NGOs and actual charities, no big company is doing something like this unless it's for their own benefit with good PR etc. Equally, the fans win too, get to honour Owen, and it's a big middle finger to Vince - something AEW plays on very cleverly, because they know and understand their fanbase. 

Steering back onto the actual tournament/concept, although obviously not having the full range of access to Owen's matches from over the years is less than ideal, presumably AEW will be able to use some of the old NJPW footage as well as plenty of stills/Stampede footage. Their production staff are excellent when it comes to video packages etc, so I don't doubt they'll be able to do Owen's legacy justice, while the in-ring talent speaks for itself. It should be a fantastic tournament. 

I read somewhere that Bret has the right to ok his matches outside of wwe. So any he is in could be fair game to get access to. In saying that, I don’t think they really need footage of him to have a cup in his honour. Lots of taking heads taking about Owen would cover it 

When people say fans get to honour Owen, what do they mean by that? What’s stopping fans honouring him now?  And as I don’t particularly like Bret Hart this is a genuine question as I have no idea, are the family ok with him mending fences with the people who killed his brother?

I wish TNA would’ve done the Owen Cup first, mind you those bells would probably call it the Michael Lung Black Jacket memorial trophy. 

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And as I don’t particularly like Bret Hart this is a genuine question as I have no idea, are the family ok with him mending fences with the people who killed his brother?

Around the time of the Darkside of the Ring episode on Owen, Martha and Bret didn't have a relationship. Martha saying Bret going back to Vince played a part in that.

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

When people say fans get to honour Owen, what do they mean by that? What’s stopping fans honouring him now?  And as I don’t particularly like Bret Hart this is a genuine question as I have no idea, are the family ok with him mending fences with the people who killed his brother?

I wish TNA would’ve done the Owen Cup first, mind you those bells would probably call it the Michael Lung Black Jacket memorial trophy. 

Officially innit. I mean I agree with you. I think this is a PR move, its not a bad thing though. It sticks it to WWE and their cultists who demand that Owen be known ONLY as a WWE guy, Fuck his widow I guess? It is going to be werid to play as Owen in the AEW game though

25 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

When people say fans get to honour Owen, what do they mean by that? What’s stopping fans honouring him now?  

Absolutely nothing, but if you're an Owen Hart fan and honour him by chanting "Owen! Owen!" at the tills in Farm Foods you're going to be carted off in an ambulance.

This tournament gives people with long enough memories something for their appreciation of OH to coalesce around. A communal thing.

I understand something about this doesn't sit right with you Keith, and that's fine, but I don't believe this is just an opportunistic cash grab.

Cheers, lads. Some real informative answers there, appreciate the education. 

2 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

I understand something about this doesn't sit right with you Keith, and that's fine, but I don't believe this is just an opportunistic cash grab.

Oh nor do I. Khan is an Uber nerd wrestling fan so I believe he wants to do right by Martha where Vince didn’t. But he’s also a part of a billionaire business family. He knows they’ll get the plaudits and profits as well as tax write offs from it all. 

6 hours ago, Louch said:

I read somewhere that Bret has the right to ok his matches outside of wwe. So any he is in could be fair game to get access to. In saying that, I don’t think they really need footage of him to have a cup in his honour. Lots of taking heads taking about Owen would cover it 

I mentioned that in another thread but it’s been reported a bunch of times. Bret having control of his matches was part of the reason why Stampede disappeared quite quickly after it turned up on the network a few years back. Apparently nobody cleared it with Bret beforehand and he went into a grump (shock horror I know)